the only reason to have lots of guitars

jjpistols

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like to build my own, and I always feel better when I have a build in progress. I even seem to go through some weird kind of "post-partum depression" when the build's complete. The only cure, as I see it, is to build another one to avoid the depression and because, as I said, I feel better. And feeling good is a good thing, eh?

• Members

I think I got 40+ right now. I got the last 30 in the last 5 or 6 years. Most of these are strats. I love'em and can't get enough. Havin' said that I could definitely get away with only one strat. Up until a few weeks ago I had not bought any guitars in the last 2 years. I think I was going through a bad spell when I bought all those guitars. I just needed some instant happiness at the time. Things are much better now and I haven't had uncontrollable GAS in a while. I did get a Xavier telemaster. Awesome bridge pup on that one btw!

• Members

I like to have more than one electric for different tunings. I'm way more likely to play a specific song if I don't have to spend time changing tunings all the time. Although I only have two electrics and one acoustics, and I'm happy with that for the time being. That being said I've been playing less than a year, so we'll see where I'm at this time next year.

• Members
..since the mesas are already compensating, right?

Yeah.

I drive a small Kia, and have one electric guitar, and a pet cat.

My mesa/engl collection make up for all of the above. I have another Mark III now, and a Maverick on the way. :facepalm:

• Members
I suppose I could trim it down to one acoustic, one nylon and one electric...

Guitarsonacouch.jpg

And i could make do with one mandoline, one pan pipe and a djembe...

Familycouch.jpg

But i need my ninety hand puppets to play theater for the kids in the kindergarten (another one of my hobbies):

HandPuppen.jpg

This post kicks ass :thu:

I actually only have one guitar in my possession at the moment, my Gibson SG. I have a Strat too, but I loaned it to my friend because his Les Paul broke the day he got a new halfstack :facepalm: I'm thinking of getting another axe soon, but I only have ~$200 to spend on non-bill stuff this month and I can't find anything I like under $600.

• Members

When I was younger, I actually tried to justify my gear with the "I need a tele for a twangy sound, a LP for a rock sound, a shredder for metal..." thing. That was pretty dumb. I'm glad I'm now older and wise enough to realize there's no good reason to own what I own. Now that I've got that sorted, I can go buy some more!

• Members

I suppose I could trim it down to ...

one djembe...

Familycouch.jpg

Funny, I recently got my first Djembe. It was $110 off of $250 on one of those MF packing flyers. I luv it. I'm now like "Djembe, where have you been all my life?"

The bongos on the other hand are hard on your hands. Kinda live playing hand ball - ouch.

But now I got a fevah, and it's a fevah that can only be cured by -

MORE DJEMBE!

257196.jpg

I use this instrument heavily now to adjust my ying and yang, especially when I get too much yang going on and not enough ying.

It's good to beat on buffalo skins ;)

• Members

you don't need all the different tones - you don't sound like all those different artists on all those different records - you really don't have to fill niches, musically - you're not an artist with lots of colors, you play guitar

you would get the job done on one guitar, if you had to

This is my current situation until my new Handle gets here in February, and ya' know...I don't miss having lots of guitars anymore.:thu:

Archived