I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

No worries. I will agree cheap as an adjective has a more negative tone, than inexpensive. But the usage is so heavily dependent on tone and delivery.

And Orange Jackson read my post before you go off on me or include me in your rant. I didn't say Frets did anything wrong. It was merely a statement of my opinion of whether he could take the moderator hat on and off. I never accused him of anything. If I felt that he wronged me I would call him out on that. I haven't yet so please just consider my content before you call me out.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
...jrockbirdge, what kind of music do you play? I have been curious about the BG90s for a while. My first Gibson was with P90s and was a tone beast. Also have you had the chance to compare BG90s with GFS P90s?

For the most part, I'm a basic rock and roll player. I typically play somewhere between clean and medium gain. But, that may change if I get a Suhr Riot pedal.

I have not compared GFS P90's to BG P90's. But, I have experienced that some of the budget P90's (even Rondo Music) sound pretty decent.

• Members
Frets you will never be a normal poster as long as you are a moderator. You cannot take your hat on and off....

Frets99 is just like the rest of us normal posters, except he has a user interface that has a couple of extra buttons that we don't have. ;)

Besides, he doesn't have a a normal poster hat and a moderator hat -- I've heard that he has a mean kimono with the word Moderator on the back. All of us measly normal posters out here wear our H-C ponchos.

• Members

Frets99 is just like the rest of us normal posters, except he has a user interface that has a couple of extra buttons that we don't have.
;)

Besides, he doesn't have a a normal poster hat and a moderator hat -- I've heard that he has a mean kimono with the word Moderator on the back. All of us measly normal posters out here wear our H-C ponchos.

I like the username of the person that posted this reality check. :idea:

• Members

Test....1, 2, 3, This thing on??? Just figured I would say something before this {censored} goes away for good!! In the recording world there is no such thing as a 'bad' microphone.......... Under the right circumstances any mic can be just what is needed.

Pickups are the same. I have heard crap Chinese or old school Japanese pickups sound like a million. Again, under the right circumstances. Same the other way, boutique stuff sounding less than 'special'.

I have guitars with both boutique and el-cheapo, and GFS as well..... I Like them all and thoroughly enjoy the variety.

As to the OP, it sounds as though he has made his decision and I hope that it works for him. If not, don't be afraid to try ANYTHING else in your pursuit of tonal bliss........

This is my first post after years of lurking so go easy on me :)

And no, I will not STFU !!!!!

• Members
OP!!

Don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong. These kinds of threads happen all the time hear. Guitarists are a passionate sub culture! I am glad that in between the raindrops, you got some advice that was worth giving a try.

Is this the type?

513c_1_88_1.JPG

'Cause that's a seriously beautiful guitar!!

Its looks just like that but has mock aligator skin tolex on top and headstock.

I fell in love with it at the store and played it for a while through a really nice Bogner. My wife and I were getting a divorce and she was buying me out of the house but she came up short. She knew I wanted that guitar so she bought it for me on credit to make up the amount she came up short(obviously it was friendly split). Long story short we never got a divorce, but if that didn't happen believe me I never would have bought a $2,500 guitar. This is purely a hobbie to me.

That was like my dream guitar, but when I got it home and it kinda of fell short to my $700 Fender Toronado (of course I had it refretted and put Burstbucker pros in it which bumped it up over $1000) I was a little bummed.

I think I didn't play around with it enough. I was always grabbing my Tele or Fender. Then I thought what the hell everybody keeps praising these GFS pickups maybe that will spark my interest in the guitar again, but actually just getting on this forum and having some people telling me I was crazy made me take another look at the Duesenberg. After fiddling with the pickup height and really playing it I am starting to fall in love with it.

And that's my story thanks for listening. Also' thanks for giving me the most posts for any thread I ever started.

• Members

I fell in love with it at the store and played it for a while through a really nice Bogner. My wife and I were getting a divorce and she was buying me out of the house but she came up short. She knew I wanted that guitar so she bought it for me on credit to make up the amount she came up short(obviously it was friendly split). Long story short we never got a divorce, but if that didn't happen believe me I never would have bought a $2,500 guitar. This is purely a hobbie to me.

That was like my dream guitar, but when I got it home and it kinda of fell short to my $700 Fender Toronado (of course I had it refretted and put Burstbucker pros in it which bumped it up over $1000) I was a little bummed.

I think I didn't play around with it enough. I was always grabbing my Tele or Fender. Then I thought what the hell everybody keeps praising these GFS pickups maybe that will spark my interest in the guitar again, but actually just getting on this forum and having some people telling me I was crazy made me take another look at the Duesenberg. After fiddling with the pickup height and really playing it I am starting to fall in love with it.

And that's my story thanks for listening. Also' thanks for giving me the most posts for any thread I ever started.

I like that story.

I would say she's a keeper but other peoples relationships are (and should be) a mystery.

Good luck to both of you.

You know, all's well that ends well for sure. I'm glad you guys figured a way to make it work. Kindred spirits don't fall out of the sky too often. I've been through a divorce and while I feel it was ultimately a good thing for both of us, it was very difficult.

• Members
Wow just pull the cork out of your nose & breath, it may clear your head! There are no guitars worth $4000. There are idiots that pay 4k for guitars but they have no standards.

What a {censored}ty thing to say. Who are you to judge what people spend on their instruments? Plenty of people spend a lot more on their hobbies, classic cars, boats jet skis, snow mobiles. And for many, playing music is more than just a hobby, but more like a way of life or for some, a career.

And a $4k guitar that gives you a lifetime of playing enjoyment, creates great music and ends up as an heirloom is a good investment IMO. Whereas a $400 guitar that you play occasionally for a year or two, then sell at a 50% loss - not so much.

You don't have the money or don't want to spend it? Fine, but don't judge others if they do. There were a lot of stupid posts in this thread, and I wasn't going to add to the flaming, but yours took the cake. I just had to say something.

To the OP - glad you're finding your love for that guitar. It's a beauty.

• Members
What a {censored}ty thing to say. Who are you to judge what people spend on their instruments? Plenty of people spend a lot more on their hobbies, classic cars, boats jet skis, snow mobiles. And for many, playing music is more than just a hobby, but more like a way of life or for some, a career.

And a $4k guitar that gives you a lifetime of playing enjoyment, creates great music and ends up as an heirloom is a good investment IMO. Whereas a $400 guitar that you play occasionally for a year or two, then sell at a 50% loss - not so much.

You don't have the money or don't want to spend it? Fine, but don't judge others if they do. There were a lot of stupid posts in this thread, and I wasn't going to add to the flaming, but yours took the cake. I just had to say something.

To the OP - glad you're finding your love for that guitar. It's a beauty.

There are no guitars worth $4000! Unless they are made of precious metals or stones and even that is a stretch...

As for who am I? I.M. Kulardenu & U Know It!

• Members

Unless they are made of precious metals or stones and even that is a stretch...

As for who am I? I.M. Kulardenu & U Know It!

Thats just your own closed minded opinion. Not mine or that of many other people.

But for some reason you need to impose your opinion on others like it's the gospel.:facepalm:

• Members
Work and time cost money too.

And all the classic handmade guitars in the first half of the last century never went for that much money even factoring in inflation.

And a example of this is the PBS Antique Road Show simply TV Evangelism of the worst kind leading Lemmings to the slaughter. Don't give in to the madness.

• Members
Gospel? No. Common sense? Yes! Paying that much for a guitar borders on commercial hysteria and mental illness. And your right there are a lot of people who feel different. But that does not make me wrong & them right.

Guitarmandp says a guitar worth playing can't be had for under 4k.

• Members

Gospel? No. Common sense? Yes! Paying that much for a guitar borders on commercial hysteria and mental illness. And your right there are a lot of people who feel different. But that does not make me wrong & them right.

You think your ideas and values about gear are superior to everyone else. Well, your cap sniffing snobbery is just as ugly and bigoted as any cork sniffing snobbery.