I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

please note the text in bold...clearly off topic and designed to provoke and insult

if youre going to start the name calling, you dont get to stand on the "let's stay on topic" soapbox, k?

dick

It's hilarious how you guys get in these forum fights. When do ever find time to play guitar? I play every chance I get and only go on this forum when I want advice on getting a piece of gear that I think will enhance my playing experience. It's all about the playing! Lets all get back to it and not worry about the bullshit.

• Members

It's hilarious how you guys get in these forum fights. When do ever find time to play guitar? ... Lets all get back to it and not worry about the bullshit.

Valid. But I go for ringside seats when someone gets into it with either EG or Zemmy. They can handle it, and it's quite entertaining :)

• Members

This place is turning into dickhead central. Go read the Duesenberg pickup thread.

I'm gonna have to find another hangout. I see now why all the good members split.

EG

:idea:

Elias, aren't you one of the "good" and "cool" members?!?

:idea:

You badmouth HC constantly, here and in every other forums, even though you have 1.0 back and you can again post from your beloved princess phone. You say everything is screwed up, yet you do nothing to improve it.

Whenever some one disagrees with you, you call on your buddies to defend you on the thread. You're never very rude, just sneaky as hell and low handed.

Every other thread you promise to leave but don't. Dude, just leave. No one will care. Contrary to what you believe, Harmony Central will miraculously survive without you.

Listen! I think I hear your disciples running up the hall and coming to your rescue!

:lol:

• Members

Speaking of fights, who do you think would win in a fight between...say...a Duesenberg and a Gibson?

I always think "CAR" when I see Duesenberg...so I'll say the Duesenber would run over the gibson...but the gibson would play on...

• Members

Valid. But I go for ringside seats when someone gets into it with either EG or Zemmy. They can handle it, and it's quite entertaining
:)

Like I said it's hilarious. The only thing that sucks is that I thought I had a whole bunch of replies to my question and half of them where a fight. I'd hate to see you guys in traffic!

• Members

Hiya BoneHead, who knocked the dick outta your mouth?

Never mind, first of all, get it straight, EG is MY minion

Second, anyone who can read saw how this thread derailed, and it wasn't because of EG. He offered his opinion to the OP's question. Then Frets offered this up

Honestly, I have no idea what sound the OP is after. And I would like to believe that particular guitar with those pickups ought to be able to take somebody where they want to go.

But if it doesn't do it for the OP and the GFS pups take him to the promised land, go for it.

It's silly and rather shortsighted not to simply because they are less expensive

Insulting a member's OPINION??? By someone who is supposed to be acting as a moderator?

Now of course this will be dismissed by those who are kissing the 2.0 ass, and may possibly get me banned. If so, so be it.

:wave:

• Members

Like I said it's hilarious. The only thing that sucks is that I thought I had a whole bunch of replies to my question and half of them where a fight. I'd hate to see you guys in traffic!

:facepalm:

You're right! Well, at least I tried to give you an answer before bickering!

I drive an SUV.

• Members

Hiya BoneHead, who knocked the dick outta
your
mouth?

Never mind, first of all, get it straight, EG is MY minion

Second, anyone who can read saw how this thread derailed, and it wasn't because of EG. He offered his opinion to the OP's question. Then Frets offered this up

Insulting a member's OPINION??? By someone who is supposed to be acting as a moderator?

Now of course this will be dismissed by those who are kissing the 2.0 ass, and may possibly get me banned. If so, so be it.

:wave:

but was frets99 in the wrong? i mean it is a bit short sighted and silly to dismiss something purely on price. could lead to someone missing out on something that they may love. or worse still, it could knock the dick out of someone's mouth :eek:

• Members

You get what you pay for. They may be different but nobody is going to convince me that a $35 pickup is going to be better, in terms of quality of sound reproduction, than SCN and Burstbucker.

He may want something different but going cheap won't improve things.

EG

You wouldn't even hear a difference if no one told you.

• Members

while i may not agree with EG on the "get what you pay for" bit, he did just offer his opinion and was counter posted with a somewhat insulting opinion from a mod. now, i try to get along with everyone... but, the guys from the OMG thread (EG, zemmy, Rose Pickups Ken, silverring233, and jelloman in real life) are my friends. they are my friends here, and they are my friends in real life. i talk to the five i mentioned on the phone, a couple of them on a weekly basis. when someone insults someone i consider a friend, well, it really chaps my ass... that's the way we all are, so naturally we are going to defend one another... that's what friends do...

to the OP, go ahead and try the GFS pups, but i don't think you'll gain anything... another alternative would be Rose Pickups. they are a tad more affordable than BG's and much better than GFS...

• Members

Looks like you had your fun stalking me there bonenut. It's all good. I wouldn't say it anywhere on this board if I didn't care who read it.

I never criticized the GFS because it's cheap. I simply told the OP that it would in no way be an upgrade.

Anyone who honestly believes that a GFS pickup is gonna hang, qualitywise, with what is already there is deluding themselves. Sorry, but there's no way an inexpensive import pickup is gonna hang with SCNs and Burstbuckers. That's just ridiculous.

GFS certainly has its place. Hell, I've bought from them but I'm not going to think that I'm getting something better than cheap import parts. That's what they sell.

EG

but everyone is shooting for a different tone. everyone has a different route to finding the tone they are after. and its certainly financially easier (for most people) to check out the cheaper options first.

• Members

I'm not disputing different. But test driving a GFS P90 (or whatever) isn't going to tell you much about how good it might sound with, say, a Duncan or Lollar in it.

It's just a big step down in quality is what I'm saying and even though it might be different, it isn't going to be as good.

EG

and likewise a duncan or lollar won't tell you much about how a gfs pickup will sound. what if the sound you're looking for is actually that of a gfs? i can see where you're coming from but i couldn't agree less, what with tone being so subjective (context/player/guitar/amp dependent) it's impossible to say that a gfs wont be as good. it sure will be different but better? who knows, it may be, but i'd check the cheaper option first...just in case.

I got nothing against GFS but I don't see how they could be considered an upgrade in a duesenberg.

EG

I responded to what I considered a condescending response to the question.

My response is based on first hand experience of a variety of GFS pickups. The ones he mentioned are wonderful and I've heard them bring sweet life to different guitars. To say it couldn't possibly help the Duesenberg is shortsighted and without factual backing.

And I get a chance once in awhile to wear my guitar hat. I'm actually a seasoned vet! And I'm not a company man. I'm an unpaid volunteer.

I thought EGs OT response to me was childish on top of his condescending remark to the OP.

Now why don't you guys stop playing class clowns and give the OP some real info he can use. Has anybody had experience with the pickups he's talking about. Might there be a problem with the noiseless pups sounding a little cold, sterile? I don't know. I haven't used them but I have have used Dream 180s and I love their chime clean and I think they really handle overdrive beautifully.

And here's a personal favorite of mine.

http://hcbts.arkay.de/frets99/Messiah%20Will%20Come%20AgainDream%20180s2.mp3

Now this may not be the tone the OP is looking for but after he said he didn't have a lot of money to spend, I thought it might be worthwhile to look at one of the best bang for the buck inexpensive pickups out there and not summarily dismiss the option.

I have had enough experience with pickups to know that most users who become accustomed to listening to high end pickups, whether they like the voicing of them or not, aren't going to be too thrilled with cheapos.

I'm just trying to save they guy some headache.

EG

There you go again. There are tons of forumites who have upgraded their guitars with GFS pickups and the Dream 180's have been a particularly favorable pickup.

Read your own responses to the posts in the sequence you posted them. I am not responding as a moderator. I am responding as a member of the club.

If I were to listen to the advice you gave the OP, I'd have cut myself off from one of my most pleasurable pickup experiences ever.

You ARE a moderator. You don't have that luxury.

EG

I am a member here and for as long as I've been here I've championed inexpensive gear. I have had arguments with many people I consider good friends over it and they never once played that card.

GFS pickups are not cheap pickups. They are inexpensive pickups. I would match up their best with almost anybody's. I have their Fatbody pickup in the neck of the telecaster Sean (Ratae) put together for me and it goes toe to toe with any neck pup I've ever heard. GFS also makes pretty damn exquisite strat pickups as well. If he sold them for the same price you buy DiMarzios, Seymour Duncans etc, We'd all be standing here gushing.

Again, as far as the OP is concerned, a good way to get into inexpensive boutique territory is to look into BG pups. Better than pups I've heard at twice the price.

I generally don't go the distance with folks here anymore because it does get real silly real fast. Sorry for stomping around your thread like that. But I thought you had a good question that deserved a reasonable answer. EG's opinion is valid but from my perspective it's one side of the coin. I feel that my opinion is equally as valid.

EG. I'm sorry you're ruffled but I saw your responses as dismissive of the OP's original post and I still do.