I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

Here we go again! Lets see if we can top 200 posts!

This one's slowly turning into another epic thread like "omg, my ultimate NGD is today ..." -- except it's the virtual equivalent of an old wild west bar room fight where everyone is punching each other in the face or getting slung across the room into a broken pile of tables. Even the moderator is breaking chairs over heads! :eek:

I dunno. The full moon phase occurred last week. I think I better exit through this open window now.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To a wealthy person, spending $4000 on a guitar may not be a big deal.

especially if you are the Wall Street banker whose secretary faked out 6.5 m bucks from checking accounts and he said "well when you get 160 million a year, you don't check your statements too carefully".

Going back to OMGNGD now.....

• Members

Frets99 is just like the rest of us normal posters, except he has a user interface that has a couple of extra buttons that we don't have.
;)

I am glad that we agree that Frets (or any moderator) is not the same as us. This is not an attack against Frets. I have nothing against him. The "couple of extra buttons" come with extra power and responsibilities. Now the argument of how much power and how many many responsibilities can start.

200 should be no problem. I think out goal should be somewhere around 300 by the weekend.:thu:

The concept of relative worth of guitars is a good topic as long as it is explored without acrimony and disrespect. At the heart of the matter are the materials wood, wire and strings. Their cost can be relative. The cost of overhead can be relative. The cost of skillsmanship can be relative. Some luthiers are artists while some are craftsmen.

We assign value based on our experience of worth. I come from a humble background. I believe in making an honest product and charging an honest price. I have the town shoemaker mentality. I probably wouldn't make shoes for the king and his court.

But that's very personal. I also don't begrudge the king his taste in finery, unless his taste in finery is overly supported by my taxes.

Here is a non political health care view. Ted Kennedy represented a state that boasts some of the finest hospitals and physicians in the country. But when push came to shove, he went to Duke in North Carolina. Are the doctors/hospitals for his ailment better at Duke than in Massachusetts? Did they cost more or less than the doctors/hospitals in Massachusetts? I don't know. But absent any other information, if I had what Ted Kennedy had should I wish I went to Duke?

On a wider scale, hospitals charge all over the place for their services. The cost of a procedure can vary widely. A procedure that costs $5000 at one hospital can cost $20,000 in another. Is the care that much worse at the hospital charging $5000 or that much better at the hospital charging $20,000?

I can say without reservation that if I had $2500 to lay down on a guitar, I'd get a Soloway before going near anything PRS or Gibson. That's a personal decision by me.

But we do have to remember that at the heart of the matter are simple materials. You will probably find much of the same materials in a $600 guitar as you would in a $1500 guitar. Why you would choose to pay more or less will be a consequence of your opinion of the product.

• Members

Ratae do you have the ability to do what he does? Do you have the responsibilities of a moderator? If you answer no to these then he is different from you. Yeah as a human who thinks and breathes, he is equal but in the world of HC he is not. I hope that any moderator would agree with this idea. If you do not see the logic in that I do not know how else I can explain it to you. If a moderator was the same there would be no reason to give them the title "moderator". Just because he is a friend doesn't make him equal either. Maybe you can explain to me how he (or any moderator) is the same and that will help?

• Members

I realize this will allow you to parry the question again, but i was asking a serious question trying understand your reasoning. I have presented why he is not different. I actually would like to hear your side of the argument. You have to prove your your statement. You made it not me. Also my point has nothing to do with equality of knowledge or post count, which I assume is what you are alluding to. It is about the equality of opportunity.

• Moderators

I realize this will allow you parry the question again, but i was asking a serious question trying understand your reasoning. I have presented why he is not different. I actually would like to hear your side of the argument. You have to prove your your statement. You made it not me. Also my point has nothing to do with equality of knowledge or post count, which I assume is what you are alluding to. It is about the equality of opportunity.

OK, Frets is the same as us by virtue that he is a subscribed member with all the rights that goes with that.

He is the same as us as he is not employed by any company pertaining to the ownership of this site

He is the same as us in the way he carries out his everyday business on this site

He is the same as us and this one is important, in that if he transgresses the rule sof the site, he can be banned temporarily or even permanently

He is the same as us in every way in that he is subject to all the same rules that we are, and in this respect I feel you do not understand exactly what a moderator does here.

The only slight difference is that if he see a transgression he can act immediately, whereas you or I must report a matter

In all of the above he is a lot more alike, than he is different.

Explain how it does not only take one thing to be different to be considered different and I will concede.

I am not different in the manner to which you are alluding which is to say that I can still post my opinions and can be chastised for breaking the rules. I am not here to be your roll model. I have to abide by the same rules that I ask you to abide by.

• Members

I believe I responded to you earlier request about how we are the "SAME". If I didn't answer to you liking maybe you can clarify the question? I thought you were referring to your post count, correct? Frets may ask what you are asked to do as a moderator? I assume you do more than just a regular poster.

Also I am think you guys have me wrong. All I am saying is that a moderator is always a moderator. Yes he can post and have opinions, but he is still a moderator. I am not saying that Frets has done anything wrong.