I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

I can't get these things to sound good especially when playing chords with distortion. It just doesn't sound right, and although I'm not a great player I have two other guitars and the pickups sound great playing the same stuff. Those pickups are Samarian Cobalt Noisless and Burstbucker Pros, so they are not cheap, But you would think a $1,500 guitar would have good pickups.

Does anyone else hear what I am hearing from these pickups?

Is it crazy to swap them out for GFS Dream 180s?

I gotta go cheap I'm poor these days plus the gold pearl will look increbible on the Starplayer outlaw which has mock alligator tolex with aged yellow binding around the whole thing. If anything it will be a real expensive decoration!

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know, all pickups are different. I would look to see what the Duesenbergs can do that your other pickups can't, versus looking at it the other way around.

Like different tools for different jobs type thing. But, if you are looking to make it your #1 because of the way it feels or something, then I would get a set of pickups that are exactly tailord to what it is you are looking to do when you play. Pickups are not that expensive, especially for guys with $1500 guitars.

The GFS pups might do it for you, one way to find out. But if they don't, you will then need to go out and spend the coin to get the pickups you should have bought in the first place, and they will cost more because you lost money on the GFS pups, ..been there.

That said, pots and capacitor values can make a big difference on how pickups sound, if they are a little too dark or too bright. And switching between guitars you will sometimes have to make radical changes in your amp settings to get the goods.

Anyway, just some ideas.

• Members

You know, all pickups are different. I would look to see what the Duesenbergs
can
do that your other pickups can't, versus looking at it the other way around.

Like different tools for different jobs type thing. But, if you are looking to make it your #1 because of the way it feels or something, then I would get a set of pickups that are exactly tailord to what it is you are looking to do when you play. Pickups are not that expensive, especially for guys with $1500 guitars.

The GFS pups might do it for you, one way to find out. But if they don't, you will then need to go out and spend the coin to get the pickups you should have bought in the first place, and they will cost more because you lost money on the GFS pups, ..been there.

That said, pots and capacitor values can make a big difference on how pickups sound, if they are a little too dark or too bright. And switching between guitars you will sometimes have to make radical changes in your amp settings to get the goods.

Anyway, just some ideas.

Good points.....It's nice to have different guitars with different pickups (with their own strengths and weaknesses) for different voicings. You can tweak the tone of a set of pickups in a guitar like you mention too by playing with component values and pickup/pole height.

OP: what is it exactly you don't like about the distorted tone?

I can't get these things to sound good especially when playing chords with distortion. It just doesn't sound right, and although I'm not a great player I have two other guitars and the pickups sound great playing the same stuff. Those pickups are Samarian Cobalt Noisless and Burstbucker Pros, so they are not cheap, But you would think a $1,500 guitar would have good pickups.

I gotta go cheap I'm poor these days plus the gold pearl will look increbible on the Starplayer outlaw which has mock alligator tolex with aged yellow binding around the whole thing. If anything it will be a real expensive decoration!

No.

Honestly, I have no idea what sound the OP is after. And I would like to believe that particular guitar with those pickups ought to be able to take somebody where they want to go.

But if it doesn't do it for the OP and the GFS pups take him to the promised land, go for it.

It's silly and rather shortsighted not to simply because they are less expensive.

• Members

You know, all pickups are different. I would look to see what the Duesenbergs
can
do that your other pickups can't, versus looking at it the other way around.

That's exactly why I currently have 14 guitars. LOL

Anyway, just some ideas.

As far as the GFS pickups thing... They might be exactly what you're looking for for this guitar, they might not be. It depends on what you want. If GFS doesn't do what you want, BG-Pups absolutely will. I tend to compare GFS to Duncan and DiMarzio and Bryan's pickups to Lollar, Van Zandt, and Fralin with all the customization you could possibly imagine.

You get what you pay for. They may be different but nobody is going to convince me that a $35 pickup is going to be better, in terms of quality of sound reproduction, than SCN and Burstbucker.

He may want something different but going cheap won't improve things.

EG

You pay for what you want.

Yes, you do. The man obviously wanted top shelf gear or he would not have bought a Duesenberg.

I don't see too many people rushing to yank the motor out of their Porsche to replace it with a small block chevy.

EG

I think you made your point adequately. You not only got the first word in but are also intent on getting the last word. But as long as we're tossing tired old cliches out. I may not know art but I sure know what I like.

• Members

I'm guessing that if you scored it for $1500 then it is used. If so, then it could be that someone has messed with it. I'd check first to see if they are the original pickups, pots, and caps. Also you might find that adjusting the pickup and or pole piece height lower might clean / smooth / unscramble things for you.

Wow. New tactic started by HC to run members off?

EG

Is it impossible to see that you have made your point? That I not only made an opposing point but embraced the nexus of your point as well. Or is the only answer black or white?

BTW - When I discuss something with someone, I expect the my points to stand on their own merits. I don't look for something to obfuscate the discussion.

• Members

Before you swap pups, make sure the intonation is set properly on the guitar. If the intonation is off, the guitar may sound sour, especially with distortion. Next, try backing off the volume a bit. Adjust the tone knobs on the guitar. Also, try adjusting the pickup height.

If none of those things work, it could be that these pickups require less gain to sound their best. I find that pickups which have a lot of chime tend to sound poor with a lot of gain. But, when you back off the gain, they have a creamy sweet spot. Finally, if you can't get the pickups to sound the way you want, swap them out.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to put GFS pickups in a really nice guitar. They sound ok, but are missing a lot of the extra character and nuance that I hear in hand wound pickups. Still, if GFS is all that you can afford and you're certain they will get you closer to the sound you want, maybe it would be a good temporary measure for you. But, I would recommend that you save some money and tell Bryan at BG Pups what kind of sound you want. He'll make you some killer pickups with personal service that beats all the big names and a sound that's as good as the best pups out there.

:thu:

Before you swap pups, make sure the intonation is set properly on the guitar. If the intonation is off, the guitar may sound sour, especially with distortion. Next, try backing off the volume a bit. Adjust the tone knobs on the guitar. Also, try adjusting the pickup height.

If none of those things work, it could be that these pickups require less gain to sound their best. I find that pickups which have a lot of chime tend to sound poor with a lot of gain. But, when you back off the gain, they have a creamy sweet spot. Finally, if you can't get the pickups to sound the way you want, swap them out.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to put GFS pickups in a really nice guitar. They sound ok, but are missing a lot of the extra character and nuance that I hear in hand wound pickups. Still, if GFS is all that you can afford and you're certain they will get you closer to the sound you want, maybe it would be a good temporary measure for you. But, I would recommend that you save some money and tell Bryan at BG Pups what kind of sound you want. He'll make you some killer pickups with personal service that beats all the big names and a sound that's as good as the best pups out there.

I agree with you and perhaps I was thinking that the OP had tried these measures already. It is a stretch for me to think that you can't get the sound you want from that setup as I mentioned earlier but you never know. And I personaly think the Dream 180's are dreamy.

• Members

I did not dig the GFS pups that I had, fat paf and classic 59's, but I also think that they are capable of pulling off a good pickup. Those dreams get a lot of love, that makes me think that they are probably pretty good.

And Jrock makes a very important point above. Intonation needs to be right on. Otherwise every chord you play will sound bad, painful even.

This is my go to copy and paste blurb about setting intonation,

Setting Intonation:

Once the guitar is in tune,

Fret the note at the 12th fret and compare that to the harmonic at the 12 (over the actual steal fret).

They should read the same, if not, you get problems.

(All on the 12th fret and 12th harmonic)

If the fretted pitch is higher then the harmonic, the string needs to be made longer.

You do this by tuning the screw on the saddle at the bridge.

If the fretted pitch is lower then the harmonic, the string needs to be shortened/ move the saddle towards the neck.

• Members

Wow. New tactic started by HC to run members off?

EG

i agree with frets, he's made his point, said why he's made his point and explained it further. can't he have his own opinion in case he offends someone.

and pickups are pickups, they are all just a mix of plastic, wire and magnets. the quality differs obviously but when i had my mim tele i tried more expensive pickups but always came back to the stock (prob very cheap) pickup because that was the sound that suited me.

dick.

• Members

Dick? First in class a rude school, no doubt.

I'm beginning to understand why all the good members left.

EG

i like to use the word dick. short, snappy, gets the point across.

have all the good members left? a little group of "popular" members may have left but there are good people here. i think you need to get over the whole "all the good members are left", "it's sad watching this place die" shit you keep mentioning and get back to using the forum.

OP, what dusenberg do you have? i've heard good things about the pickups before but popping a cheap set of GFS, pickups or something won't leave you massively out of pocket and are worth a try (can always sell them on to cut your costs if they aren't for you.)

• Members

I've never paid attention to Duesenberg guitars but I looked yours up and :love::love:!!!

For semihollows I always recommend BG Pure 90s (HB sized P90s), because they compliment the hollowbody sound so well. Much more articulate and clearer than humbuckers, plus they can get nasty well too. Extremely versatile pups.

They aren't cheap but definitely much less than you would expect to pay for hand made pups of that caliber.

Although I love it, you may or may not like the sound but there's an easy and cheap way to find out. You can order a set of Mean 90s from GFS. I think those are only $30 each. The sound and some qualities are "similar" to what the BG Pure 90s will give you... except the Pure 90s will give you TONS more of it!

Your guitar only has to sound the way you want it to and you should use whatever pickups give you the tone you're after. GFS would be a relatively inexpensive way to check out different tones. We all have different tastes but the only one you're obligated to satisfy is your own.

• Members

my first post said...

i agree with frets, he's made his point, said why he's made his point and explained it further. can't he have his own opinion in case he offends someone.

and pickups are pickups, they are all just a mix of plastic, wire and magnets. the quality differs obviously but when i had my mim tele i tried more expensive pickups but always came back to the stock (prob very cheap) pickup because that was the sound that suited me.

dick.

my second post said

i like to use the word dick. short, snappy, gets the point across.

have all the good members left? a little group of "popular" members may have left but there are good people here. i think you need to get over the whole "all the good members are left", "it's sad watching this place die" shit you keep mentioning and get back to using the forum.

OP, what dusenberg do you have? i've heard good things about the pickups before but popping a cheap set of GFS, pickups or something won't leave you massively out of pocket and are worth a try (can always sell them on to cut your costs if they aren't for you.
)

please note the text that is bold. VERY on topic

• Members

dick

please note the text in bold...clearly off topic and designed to provoke and insult

if youre going to start the name calling, you dont get to stand on the "let's stay on topic" soapbox, k?

dick

• Members

please note the text in bold...clearly off topic and designed to provoke and insult

if youre going to start the name calling, you dont get to stand on the "let's stay on topic" soapbox, k?

dick

and it worked.

anyway, back on topic. ;)