I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members
He was facepalming because he suggested expensive pickups, got ganged up on, and then the op chose expensive pickups after wading through this {censored} of a thread. How bout u take a clip and stick it up your ass?

he didn't get ganged up on... oh the irony.... if anyone here disagrees with EG there's always a crew that swoop in to defend him... clique city

he made a comment on a product based on nothing... then played the victim card when someone disagreed with him... making out he was being mistreated by a mod... absolute bull{censored}

clips were posted of the product being discussed... he conveniently chose to ignore them

i want to hear mr post-a-second play

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:facepalm:

{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EG was just pointing out the fact that if the OP had the deniro to drop on a Deus he should at least do it the justice of installing pups that are ALSO boutique... nobody said GFS pups were junk, but we all know that they are NOT BG's, Lollars, Fralins, TV Jonses, etc... i've got Mighty Mites in my Cort X-5 and love them, wouldn't change a thing... it's kind of like dropping $800,000 on a Bentley and puting spinner hub caps from pep boys on it...

Your post makes no sense. If the pups sound good in the Dues, drop em in. What difference does the cost make?

I think the Dream 180's sound great in a semi hollow body guitar. The Dues he has is a semi-hollow body guitar. I linked clips of the Dream 180s in a semi hollow body guitar. Help me out here Dman. All that was left was for him to decide for himself whether or not he liked them. I never said he had to put Dream 180s in his guitar. I said that by my experience, they would sound good. All EG had to say was you get what you pay for. When it comes both to GFS or BG pups, that's just not true.

Hell, I was more concerned that he wasn't happy with the expensive pups he already had in there.

Absolutely. That's why they are standard in all $4000 guitars now.

EG

Like I said you have your opinion and I have mine. But if I was having trouble getting my $4000 guitar to sound right, you could bet your ass, I'd talk to Jay and Bryan first.

I was in a GC recently and a fellow came in with a sweet jazz box. I can't remember the maker but was easily a $3000 to $4000 guitar. He was experimenting with some digital reverb pedal. I came over to him because I knew that he wasn't sporting a run of the mill GC guitar. As we got to talking, he explained that he had been playing out at an open mic kind of thing and had an old Peavey SS amplifier and was looking to open up his sound and give it a little more beef. He realized that getting an expensive amp would do it but he didn't have the skosh right now. He asked what I thought of the sound he was getting out of the pedal. I told him it sounded like the pedal was robbing his guitar of it's lows. I told him that for the sound he was looking for, a nice used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue might do the trick and that he ought to consider doing that at some point just to get the full effect of his beautiful guitar. I could also have steered him towards Victoria amps which sound sublime. However, I was sensitive to his immediate need and steered him towards the Boss FDR pedal. He was using an SS and this pedal has the capacity to add warmth to SS amps. It also could add the slightest touch of overdrive for sweet fattening and a touch of reverb as well. That's what he bought. I figured that'd hold him until he got it together for a better amp.

That's how I roll. Look for the right tool at the right time to do the job. I'd never tell the OP that a more expensive pup would be a waste of money. But I would also tell him that the particular pup he's asking about per my personal experience would be a good choice for a semi hollow guitar.

No BS. Just facts.

• Members
Absolutely. That's why they are standard in all $4000 guitars now.

EG

Wow just pull the cork out of your nose & breath, it may clear your head! There are no guitars worth $4000. There are idiots that pay 4k for guitars but they have no standards.

• Members

I put em up. I can take em down. They're all quoted anyway.

Mr Sully, maybe you didn't get my pm. If you want my clips, be around when I post them or go look for them.

I never took issue with disagreement. I disagree with people all the time but when a moderator, in an erroneous assumption, jumps my ass, I'm going to correct him. Frets wants to assume I'm basing my opinion on price tag. I'm basing it on reality.

And, yes, I have heard GFS pickups. They sound just like Epi or Ibanez or Squier pickups. They're good but not great.

Would any of you honestly tell this guy to yank the pups out of his Fender custom shop guitar in favor of those? That's a pretty fair analogy here.

Clique? Please. I'm the biggest {censored}ing nerd on this board. please find one member of this board I've ever ragged on. Hell, I'm the guy coming in to take the heat off guitarmike when the herd jumped his ass about being a goofy 15 year old kid for crying out loud.

EG

• Members
Wow just pull the cork out of your nose & breath, it may clear your head! There are no guitars worth $4000. There are idiots that pay 4k for guitars but they have no standards.

Me with a cork? Dude, I have three guitars, the most expensive of which was $369.
Many Duesenbergs, which is what we are talking about, go well over that mark.

EG

• Members

So you're calling this guy an idiot then?

You bought a Duesenberg. You do whatever you want to it. I know if it were me, I would probably get something boutique to put in it. Because it is, you know, a Duesenberg... and those are like, expensive and stuff.

• Members
search in amongst your posts?... i'd be here for a month

unless you're talking clips posted here or on youtube etc.... i don't believe you

Google is your friend. If you are that obsessed with my {censored}ty playing, go to soundclick and find me there. It's not hidden.
Believe what you want. I know two people locally with GFS equipped guitars. I have played them. Like I said, they're fine for what they are. They sound just like Epi pickups.

EG

• Members

If I had a Deusenburg I wouldn't put in GFS pickups. I like GSF pickups for what they are but I wouldn't put them in a really expensive guitar. If you are on a tight budget I would just save, work overtime, sell some excess gear or whatever you need to do to get a really nice set of pickups. I just doubt that in the long run you'd be happier with the Dream 180's in that thing. I like dream 180's (had them in my Squier '51) but if you are gonna compare GFS with something like Fralins or Curtis Novak pickups (which are never mentioned on this board for whatever reason and are the best pickups I have ever heard), it's like comparing a Honda, to a Ferrari. The Honda is a nice car...but {censored} man it ain't no Ferarri. Both will get you to the grocery store but 1 of those is gonna make people stop and stare.

Anyways your mileage may vary.

• Members
First to suggest BGs.
:thu:

And not the last. But y'know it's YOUR guitar, if you don't like the sound, you don't like the sound. It's easy enough to change them, and change 'em back ...

Um, I really haven't read all the {censored}-storm posts ... so I'm not taking sides or anything ... the above is merely my own BS opinion.

• Members

Now as for quality of the pickups, I am not sure. I have only had one GFS pickup and it was not to my liking.

What is an adequation? My wife's an English professor and she's never heard the word, so I actually looked it up. The word doesn't exist. If you're going to insult our choice of words to describe things could you please at least insult using words that exist?

Also wanted to say you guys are the biggest bunch of girls around. Stop crying and play some guitar. The internet is supposed to be for people who can't handle real the stress of real world situations. If you can't handle the stress of the internet where are you going to turn?!
:p

Aren't you on the internet crying?

wrong.jpg

• Members
And not the last. But y'know it's YOUR guitar, if you don't like the sound, you don't like the sound. It's easy enough to change them, and change 'em back ...

Um, I really haven't read all the {censored}-storm posts ... so I'm not taking sides or anything ... the above is merely my own BS opinion.

True, true, true.
You guys know there's a waiting list for the BG Pure 90s. Hell, if the OP doesn't like them, he could probably sell them here and have his money back the next day!
:thu:

• Members
What is an adequation? My wife's an English professor and she's never heard the word, so I actually looked it up. The word doesn't exist. If you're going to insult our choice of words to describe things could you please at least insult using words that exist?

I thought everyone heard of that word? I think my wife's lawyer used it, in as I was not providing the proper adequations on The Pompatus of Love it was going to co$t me more...

• Members

Like I said you have your opinion and I have mine. But if I was having trouble getting my $4000 guitar to sound right, you could bet your ass, I'd talk to Jay and Bryan first.

I was in a GC recently and a fellow came in with a sweet jazz box. I can't remember the maker but was easily a $3000 to $4000 guitar. He was experimenting with some digital reverb pedal. I came over to him because I knew that he wasn't sporting a run of the mill GC guitar. As we got to talking, he explained that he had been playing out at an open mic kind of thing and had an old Peavey SS amplifier and was looking to open up his sound and give it a little more beef. He realized that getting an expensive amp would do it but he didn't have the skosh right now. He asked what I thought of the sound he was getting out of the pedal. I told him it sounded like the pedal was robbing his guitar of it's lows. I told him that for the sound he was looking for, a nice used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue might do the trick and that he ought to consider doing that at some point just to get the full effect of his beautiful guitar. I could also have steered him towards Victoria amps which sound sublime. However, I was sensitive to his immediate need and steered him towards the Boss FDR pedal. He was using an SS and this pedal has the capacity to add warmth to SS amps. It also could add the slightest touch of overdrive for sweet fattening and a touch of reverb as well. That's what he bought. I figured that'd hold him until he got it together for a better amp.

That's how I roll. Look for the right tool at the right time to do the job. I'd never tell the OP that a more expensive pup would be a waste of money. But I would also tell him that the particular pup he's asking about per my personal experience would be a good choice for a semi hollow guitar.

No BS. Just facts.

I think this could be summed up by saying "Why spend money just to spend the money when something that costs less will do exactly what you want?"

That's how I roll. I've been playing lots of inexpensive (not cheap) guitars, like MIM Fenders, Epis, MeanStreet Exiles, and AllParts partscasters. I don't have one guitar that's cost more than $550 after all is said and done. I also have played live through a PODxt Live through the house PA. Yet I get compliments on my tone from other guitarists even though I apparently commit every crime against tone there is.

• Members

Burton4snow, the BG Pure 90's are fantastic pickups! I :love: my Pure 90's! I think you'll be very pleased with the tone from clean to gain.

I have owned a few sets of GFS pups and I think they're an excellent value. They were worth the purchase price, but were not in the same league as Fralin, BG, or TV Jones.

I don't know why so many people are calling for internet clips to prove that boutique pups are better than budget pups. If all you plan to do is post compressed MP3 clips on internet forums, GFS are more than adequate. :poke:

And, yes, I have heard GFS pickups. They sound just like Epi or Ibanez or Squier pickups. They're good but not great.

EG

And, having heard GFS pickups first hand and uncompressed, I can without hesitation, say that in my experience they have proven, to be not only better tonally than the above mentioned stock pups which have been replaced by GFS pups by the ton with glowing recommendations, but better tonally than the stock pups you'd find on many Fenders and Gibsons as well. While you're entitled to your opinion, you're opinion is not based on fact or corroborated by the combined experience of this forum. Atrox, who has a reputation for building quality guitars and has built them for people on this board, uses them and if I'm correct BG pups as well.

The Dream 180's, in particular, have been used to replace the stock pickups in the Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow series. One of the first things I heard around here was how they brought those guitars to life.

I have yet to say that I believed they are better than the pups the OP had or that it was the only option available to him. I simply stated what I know and what I could back up by fact.