I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just love how the same people who attacked me two days ago are doing such a fine job of taking up my argument for me.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

EG

EG I read the whole {censored}ing thread last night. You weren't attacked for your opinion, but for how you delivered it. And if you argue that your first responses to the OP could hardly be construed as an attack, then you have to accept that Frets' response wasn't either.

BTW, I don't think it would be crazy for the OP to pop a set of Dream 180's in his guitar. So while I argue that GFS are not boutique pickups, it's not crazy to think that one of their off the shelf products would have a shot at getting the job done.

• Members

Wait...earlier you said they're all the same...now they're different. Go find some more buttons.
:cop:

*edit* 300th post...do I win a prize?
:idea:

Please try to pay attention. Reading comprehension is key. They're all the same level of quality. But they all sound a little different. Hope this helps.

• Members

I just love how the same people who attacked me two days ago are doing such a fine job of taking up my argument for me.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

EG

You used to post pictures of semi hollows and have witty remarks. Now you are a drama queen. What happened?

• Members

That doesn't even make sense.....tuh:facepalm:

You let me an Dylan down with that shabby retort

It's perfectly in keeping with the line of repartee we've been developing. Mojo = superstition, your punchbowl = your opinion. The floater = cold, unpleasant facts. Or warm, unpleasant facts, as the case may be. Hope this helps.

• Members

Uncorrect. That's like saying that following a great recipe exactly makes for bad cookies. It doesn't. Once you find a good recipe, you should stick to it.

If you don't, you may still get good results, or you may not. You just don't know. Making gear isn't the same as making music, where unpredictability may be preferable.

The best factories get in the ballpark with a great recipe and then mass-produce cookies with great precision. That doesn't make for bad cookies, it makes for great cookies that look, smell, and taste identically with each batch.

The best chefs get in the ballpark with a great recipe, but then tweak and flourish to different effect with each iteration. The best chefs get great results regardless; there is risk, but not much when a master chef is in the kitchen. And their cookies are a bit different with each batch, which keeps them fresh and interesting; and sometimes they're flat-out transcendent, sometimes spinning off new recipes.

Unbounded unpredictability is usually catastrophic; unpredictability within tight constraints, as imposed by a master, generates novelty and sometimes transcendent results. In that sense gear is the same as music is the same as cookies. It's all about where you put those boundaries and who's doing the cooking.

• Members

The best factories get in the ballpark with a great recipe and then mass-produce cookies with great precision. That doesn't make for bad cookies, it makes for great cookies that look, smell, and taste identically with each batch.

The best chefs get in the ballpark with a great recipe, but then tweak and flourish to different effect with each iteration. The best chefs get great results regardless; there is risk, but not much when a master chef is in the kitchen. And their cookies are a bit different with each batch, which keeps them fresh and interesting; and sometimes they're flat-out transcendent, sometimes spinning off new recipes.

Unbounded unpredictability is usually catastrophic; unpredictability within tight constraints, as imposed by a master, generates novelty and sometimes transcendent results. In that sense gear is the same as music is the same as cookies. It's all about where you put those boundaries and who's doing the cooking.

Trying to compare the making of products with the making of a form of artistic expression is futility. Gear and food have certain ground rules. Music is a much looser concept with a much wider range of what is acceptable. Bad food can make you sick or even kill you. Bad pickups can fail. Music is pure aesthetics. There's no practical aspect to it at all, unlike products.

The experience of eating gourmet food is not something that would be desirable to replicate with pickups. Food is quickly consumed and not reused. Pickups are a reusable product that needs to be more predictable. Product X needs to sound like Product X consistently, otherwise you can't reliably purchase product X and hope to get any specific sound.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
  • Members

I have played my doozy (starplayer TV) since 2005, bought new for £950. They were cheaper when first released. I have played it through various valve amps, Hiwatt, Fender and Marshall. Sounds great in all of them. I often wonder what amps people are playing through when they post issues with pickups. What pedals are you using etc etc? It is on par with an es 335 for the vast amount of styles it works with. It is a workhorse guitar. If you change pickups you will ruin the balanced middle position. That sound is the famous doozy sound, created by their pickups, the blend of their domino p90 and GV humbucker, and wiring. If you don't like it buy another guitar. 

• 2 years later...
  • Members

It’s not only the pickups, the wiring options are old fashioned and  limited on each guitar model. I’m going to change my neck humbucker sized P90 ( humbucker sized P90 are false interpretations of real P90s IMHO) and bridge humbucker for SD Pearly Gates and add push/pull pots. The stock pups are too raw. for me, articulation suffers. I own a 2010 Duesenberg Double Cat and was going to sell it because  of the pups and I didn’t want to modify it.  ITS TOO MUCH OF A BEAUTY TO SELL,  sooo Now I’m going to modify it. I was also thinking Fishman Fluence active, but someone told me Active pickups aren’t meant for semi hollow body guitars,,,,is that bs?