I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to be ordering these to try out when I get back to the States. These will be going in a Strat. I want to argue dammit! Anyone have any experience with these pups?

http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/gfswdoovovra.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlitupig.html

Can't say that I have but they sure do look radical. Give em a try and come back with a review!

Burton4snow, the BG Pure 90's are fantastic pickups! I
:love:
my Pure 90's! I think you'll be very pleased with the tone from clean to gain.

I have owned a few sets of GFS pups and I think they're an excellent value. They were worth the purchase price, but were not in the same league as Fralin, BG, or TV Jones.

I don't know why so many people are calling for internet clips to prove that boutique pups are better than budget pups. If all you plan to do is post compressed MP3 clips on internet forums, GFS are more than adequate. :poke:

You gots to come over n jam with me!:cool:

I agree that mp3 clips are not adequate to the task because of compression but, when comparing products, it can still be possible to hear the differences. Soloway posts MP3's and they sound luscious.

Besides... my clips are so rockin n soulful, they make men weep and make women's knees buckle!!! :D

OP!!

Don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong. These kinds of threads happen all the time hear. Guitarists are a passionate sub culture! I am glad that in between the raindrops, you got some advice that was worth giving a try.

Is this the type?

513c_1_88_1.JPG

'Cause that's a seriously beautiful guitar!!

• Moderators

I have owned a few sets of GFS pups and I think they're an excellent value. They were worth the purchase price, but were not in the same league as Fralin, BG, or TV Jones.compressed MP3 clips on internet forums, GFS are more than adequate. :poke:

I don't think even Jay would say they are.

However there exists a spectrum of quality and tone, in which GFS is almost and sometimes as good as Seymour Duncan and Di Marzio for instance.

I have demonstrated at least to myself how GFS compares with boutiques when while building my last Strat, I used a BG bridge, GFS middle and a van Zandt neck.

Now while the GFS middle did not have that complex quality that both the BG and van Zandt had, it was certainly not shamed by them, hence my description of a spectrum along which all of the these pickups live in terms of over all quality and tone, irregardless of cost.

Now a set of GFS Premium Alnicos, as used by Atrox a good deal in his own Strats and builds, are not up to a BG V60, but they are on a par with some stock Fender USA pickups and better than a lot of the stockers to be found on budget guitars.

I found that the GFS Greybottoms do a very good job of occupying the ground that is usually the reserve of 70s Fender greybottoms from the CBS guitars, which most of us have heard on some recording or another and loved, but yes there are other pickups that can do the job better..

I think if you look through a lot of the GFS descriptions you'll find the term "hang with the boutique boys", and yes they can, they can't quite equal or exceeed them, but they can hold their own.

I love my boutique pups, my 70s Strat has BK Trilogy Suites, my 60s Strat has van Zandt Vintage Plus's and my Burny LP has WCR Crossroads, and I have a stack of builds which will be heavily popualted with BG, Lollar, VVG and Seymour Duncan Custom shop, but I'd never shirk using GFS pickups where I didn't have a boutique alternative that I could purchase at a realistic price, and please note I did NOT pay retail for any of the above, I simply don't think hardly any of them are worth their retail price, least of all the Bare Knuckles, but they are the "creme de la creme" of magnets and wires.

Frets has a guitar I put together with a handwound steel pole type pickup at the bridge and a GFS Fatbody at the neck. I didn't leave that pickup there for any other reason than the fact that I didn't think that, in it's field, it could be bettered. It's a guitar I'm very proud of and have no hesitation telling people that the neck pup was about 30 "bucks". In my ears I did not compromise that guitar in any way.

As for the broadbrush attitude of a few posters here, saying that GFS are no better than Epiphone or Squier etc, shows an ignorance of pickups manufacture and supply.

I for one would not use any GFS humbuckers as for instance I don't think anybody can ace Tone Riders buckers at their price point, and the only option that is better is straight up into the high end boutique options.

GFS also do some low end stuff that I tried and would not use again, but the fact remains that in the hierarchy of the spectrum I propose, GFS are not that far behind the boutique boys, and certainly exceed a lot of budget stuff.

Epiphone stock buckers for instance are cold lifeless {censored}ers, but the P90s in the 56 RI are storming pickups

Generalisations never work in this field, and unless you've been through this stuff the hard way you need to qualify the limitations of your opinions, as when you do give them, you're often giving them to someone who has no knowledge in the area at all.

In other words, be prepared to back up your opinions with knowldge, experience of facts or else express your opinions, but qualify them by revealing what they're based on.

Not quite put up or shut up, but in that ballpark:thu:

These forums in the main are here to assist peole who would know more, not lead a sucker down an alley cause someone who sells {censored} is your buddy:wave:

I thought everyone heard of that word? I think my wife's lawyer used it, in as I was not providing the proper adequations on The Pompatus of Love it was going to co$t me more...

Adequations are what I do on my calculaterusi!!

Honestly, words can have the same definition but by virtue of connotation or general usage connote differently.

Thrifty brings to mind a virtue while cheap connotes a miser or a cheapskate :idea: who generally agrees immediately when you say you'll pick up the check! :D

• Moderators

Ratae....you just made the EXACT same point I made.
:facepalm:

In fairness EG, and I'm always willing to think the best of people, if you did make any of the points I made, you didn't do it very well.

You started off with an unqualified blanket statement, and then went on to refute a lot of experience with the pickup the OP suggested, by saying that theyre just cheap and not worthy of going in a Duesenberg, which to be fair to that particular pickup, it is.

So I don't see the point you made, but if you did tell the OP that the Dream 180 could be OK, then I sorta missed it and I apologise

• Members
For all the people who weren't driven away by 2.0, all the arguing will get the rest.

2.0 has done a service by letting some people make unpleasant asses of themselves. Some of those now carried it back to 1.0.

Fortunately 1.0 and 2.0 have ignore facilities so we can choose not to see their assholes unless they are quoted.

• Members

Adequations was a joke at the use of the word obfuscate by Frets. I thought it was funny since it seemed out of place. Adequations is a scholary word and is not colloquial. I forgot to consult the Frets and Gilmour Dictionary for the most current orthography, my mistake. (Feel I should put a disclaimer that is harmless sarcasm and not anger. I don't want to offend anyone and have to have them hijack this thread anymore). EG, Oklahoma is not faring well here.

jrockbirdge, what kind of music do you play? I have been curious about the BG90s for a while. My first Gibson was with P90s and was a tone beast. Also have you had the chance to compare BG90s with GFS P90s?

Ratae....you just made the EXACT same point I made.
:facepalm:

EG

If you said that GFS pups were better than the stock pickups found in Epi's, Squiers and Ibanez, then you made the exact same point. But you didn't exactly say that.

I also, never stated that GFS pups were in the same league as boutique pickups. What I said was that they compare favorably and sometimes better than other well regarded pickups ie, Seymour Duncans, Dimarzio's, Fender and Gibsons.

I also said that in this particular instance, given that he had a semi hollow guitar, that putting in the GFS Dream 180s was a reasonable suggestion based of my experience with them in semi-hollow guitars and what I have heard on this and other boards, particularly in reference to the Ibanez Artcore series of semi-hollow body guitars.

I countered the dismissive tone of your first two posts, which you deleted, with a shallow but pointed jab. You decided to shadow my posts with cliches designed to obfuscate the issue as you were not presenting any articulate evidence to support your position and I called you on it.

I did so as a fellow guitarist and forumite. I have no agendas.

So you can take off the tin hat, stop feeling so persecuted and stand behind what you actually said and did, as I have.

I have never had the occasion to single you out before and I have no problem with your opinions. But I have always championed inexpensive gear, particularly where it may be the best tool for the job at hand.

And you can google that, jack!

• Members

I've compared BG Pure 90s to GFS mean 90s. The difference, both in terms of clarity and noise, is notable. The BG is a superior product.

I made a simple statement that GFS pickups are not in the same league with a boutique pickup. You can argue that boutique pickups, Duesenbergs or any other boutique gear is overpriced. I'll agree with you.

But there is a difference. Anyone who refuses to admit that is as much a fanboi as the one who refuses to touch anything that doesn't say custom shop on it.

Myself? I don't pay boutique prices as I feel they are priced with vanity in mind but I'm honest enough to admit I can hear the difference.

Sorry, but I don't see people lining up to give advice to people telling them to put GFS in their Fender custom shop guitars.

EG

Adequations was a joke at the use of the word
obfuscate
by Frets. I thought it was funny since it seemed out of place. Adequations is a scholary word and is not colloquial. I forgot to consult the Frets and Gilmour Dictionary for the most current orthography, my mistake. (Feel I should put a disclaimer that is harmless sarcasm and not anger. I don't want to offend anyone and have to have them hijack this thread anymore). EG, Oklahoma is not faring well here.

jrockbirdge, what kind of music do you play? I have been curious about the BG90s for a while. My first Gibson was with P90s and was a tone beast. Also have you had the chance to compare BG90s with GFS P90s?

Hey, I dig banter. I love learning things. Adequation is a word and has a definition which I think is in keeping with my usage of the two words in question; cheap and inexpensive.

Here's the definition of adequation: # equivalence; A change in the meaning of a term depending upon context

That's exactly what I said. Context affords more virtue to inexpensive than cheap.

I will also say that, what I consider inexpensive gear can be the same piece of equipment purchased at a blowout price. If I could get get an SRV strat for, say $999 instead of the going $2000 price tag, I'd be so stoked!!!

• Members

Sorry frets, your "pointed jab" of a personal attack was just that. And pretty undignified for a moderator to do.
Next time you're in a restaurant and the waiter gets personal with you because they disagree with your choices, I'll wager that you find the manager pretty quickly and complain.
We can disagree all we want but the personal stuff is uncalled for...particularly from a moderator.

EG

I've compared BG Pure 90s to GFS mean 90s. The difference, both in terms of clarity and noise, is notable. The BG is a superior product.

I made a simple statement that GFS pickups are not in the same league with a boutique pickup. You can argue that boutique pickups, Duesenbergs or any other boutique gear is overpriced. I'll agree with you.

But there is a difference. Anyone who refuses to admit that is as much a fanboi as the one who refuses to touch anything that doesn't say custom shop on it.

Myself? I don't pay boutique prices as I feel they are priced with vanity in mind but I'm honest enough to admit I can hear the difference.

Sorry, but I don't see people lining up to give advice to people telling them to put GFS in their Fender custom shop guitars.

EG

On this we both agree.

Sorry frets, your "pointed jab" of a personal attack was just that. And pretty undignified for a moderator to do.

Next time you're in a restaurant and the waiter gets personal with you because they disagree with your choices, I'll wager that you find the manager pretty quickly and complain.

We can disagree all we want but the personal stuff is uncalled for...particularly from a moderator.

EG

The pointed jab was mild. It was in response to the dismissive tone of your first two posts. You could easily have come back with a simple response similar to the last one you made here and we could have called it a day.

I am not a waiter. I am a customer here. I pay the same dues you do and I get paid the same salary that you do. I never once put my mod hat on while I was in this thread.

Also, I have nothing to hide. All of my posts remain up for people to see. I never challenged your character. I responded to the tone of your posts which you must not be that proud of seeing as you saw fit to pull them.

• Members

Frets you will never be a normal poster as long as you are a moderator. You cannot take your hat on and off. People will not treat you the same as long as you are a moderator. You volunteered for the job so even if you don't get paid you still have the duties. I am not saying the duties have not been fulfilled. This is not an attack, but just a comment about your statement of taking on and off your moderator hat.

• Members

Hey, I dig banter. I love learning things. Adequation is a word and has a definition which I think is in keeping with my usage of the two words in question; cheap and inexpensive.

Here's the definition of adequation: # equivalence; A change in the meaning of a term depending upon context

That's exactly what I said. Context affords more virtue to inexpensive than cheap.

I will also say that, what I consider inexpensive gear can be the same piece of equipment purchased at a blowout price. If I could get get an SRV strat for, say $999 instead of the going $2000 price tag, I'd be so stoked!!!

Apparently I goofed or something. When I looked up adequation last night on dictionary.com it came up with zero results. Looked it up again this morning and it did come up with a definition from Webster. Weird... Anyhow, it is a word.

Regardless, like you said, "cheap" can refer to price but tends to also infer low quality while "inexpensive" just refers to price.

Saying that, I consider GFS stuff to be inexpensive. Sure, it may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it's not cheap crap. There are some also some Duncans and DiMarzios that I really don't like, either, but I won't call them cheap crap simply because they do not deliver the tone I'm looking for.

Frets you will never be a normal poster as long as you are a moderator. You cannot take your hat on and off. People will not treat you the same as long as you are a moderator. You volunteered for the job so even if you don't get paid you still have the duties. I am not saying the duties have not been fulfilled. This is not an attack, but just a comment about your statement of taking on and off your moderator hat.

The wait of the crown is heavy indeed.....

I'm afraid, it still doesn't invalidate any of my comments. I stand behind them. And I don't believe that I acted inappropriately as well. I never challenged the character of the poster. I challenged his tone and and rendered my opinion on the issue.

• Members

EG

All of your self-righteous indignation, and trying to boss Frets around, is absurd considering how you kicked off this thread. Get over it, you were being a jackass, it's water under the bridge.

• Members

Frets did nothing but have conversation about pickups. EG had a problem with a moderator having a different opinion then his, and he had a little melt down because of it. Frets responded by pointing out that Post-a-lots (EG) was being unreasonable. Then got attacked further for pointing that out.

This thing has gotten so far OT, and pointless, that it would seem reasonable if it were to got locked down.