I'm not loving my Duesenberg Pickups

burton4snow

• Members

Please point out the disinformation if you can.
:thu:

You didn't even know that some pickups are constructed by
wrapping
wire around a bar magnet.

You have no idea what I do for a living, but I'll tell you that it's far more interesting than
wrapping
wire around and around bobbins all day long.

The lipsticks tend to have a barrier between the magnet and the wire. But you know this because you're the {censored}ing expert!!!:thu::wave:

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There is no way hand manufacturing is going to meet the quality & consistency of well engineered & computer controlled, CNC & threading machines. Your going to start seeing pickups of very high quality mass produced & affordable product all over the place soon. Of course there will be some that still swear by the work of the Jedi but it will be a dying religion in the near future.

while i agree that CNC is accurate most of the time, it is in no way perfect...

• Members

Me too, which is why I don't make pickups for a living.
;)

I've made many effects pedals, which are much more complicated than pickups (but still pretty simple). No need for me to do something easy just to prove a point to you, especially when there are so many good inexpensive pickups on the market now. It's not worth the effort.

it's not to ,prove a point to me buddy, it's to prove a point to you... if it's so simple, then do it... and i do agree that there are plenty of decent inexpensive pickups out there... but they're still not hand wounds...

• Members

it's not to ,prove a point to me buddy, it's to prove a point to you... if it's so simple, then do it... and i do agree that there are plenty of decent inexpensive pickups out there... but they're still not hand wounds...

Handwound has nothing to do with anything, unless you think inadvertent drops of sweat on the pole pieces will improve your tone.

• Members

This is true for CNCing cylinder heads, surgical parts..etc but go listen to a handwound pickup next to cnc pickup and chances are you'll like the sound of the hand wind better. And if not go with the what you prefer. Many players know and hear the difference..It's not Jedi just use your ears.

But then again I'm no expert according to so many of you guys. I only make a few 1000 of pickups a year and take about 10 a year back in exchanges. Ask guys like Atrox or Quarter who builds some of the best guitars around how consistent my handwounds are.

It's just not me there's lots of great winder who make very consistent handwound pickups.

I have no doubt that you do make a superior pickup at this point & time. And I do so much prefer a world where a Jedi such as your self is at the top of the game. But I am afraid that we have created a manufacturing monster in China by greedy capitalists that have unleashed a storm over the west. Now that they have the upper financial hand and are building state of the art facilities we are on a very old road that Rome built into oblivion. And we will hit the end of that road sooner than later...

• Members

Damon don't waste your time with this guy.

He's a famous troll from OJ & GJ and I have heard he may not be a member here for much longer due to his posting style.

I don't post on OJ. I'm not a troll at all. That is to say, I exclusively troll GJ, but only in homage to famous trolls of GJ history.

This is called arguing. Deal with it.

• Members

Damon don't waste your time with this guy.

He's a famous troll from OJ & GJ and I have heard he may not be a member here for much longer due to his posting style.

gotcha Bryan... i just get irritated with some of the {censored} that goes on around here... especially when someone is trying to tell someone else their business... nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me how to do MY job or telling me how SIMPLE my job is when they haven't a {censored}ing clue how to do it themselves... you're the pickup maker for {censored}sake:facepalm:... next thing you know, this guy will be telling me that he knows more about the 661 Whitney that i run, the only one in existance with a drill i might add, or our stretch former, also the only on in existance...:mad: it's just ridiculous to sit there and tell aguy that does something day in and day out for his bread and butter, and does it successfuly, that he DOESN'T know what he's doing or what he's talking about...

• Members

I have no doubt that you do make a superior pickup at this point & time. And I do so much prefer a world where a Jedi such as your self is at the top of the game. But I am afraid that we have created a manufacturing monster in China by greedy capitalists that have unleashed a storm over the west. Now that they have the upper financial hand and are building state of the art facilities we are on a very old road that Rome built into oblivion. And we will hit the end of that road sooner than later...

I know what you're saying when it comes to manufacturing in general. I try and support every USA made company I can. Obviously some things just are not made here anymore. And that's sad.

But for me I make a good product where the player can ask for customizations or describe what they are looking for and I go to work to get them what they want. I don't think a CNC machine in Asia will start taking the special requests that you can make from a small company like mine. In that sense I've made a nice niche business for myself. If you haven't checked out my line of pickups they are very competitively priced for what you get. Many players from so many countries around the world have discovered this. It's been a great blessing as I get to work at something I'm passionate about and really enjoy doing.

BTW..Thanks for a civil chat in this way gone of topic silly ass thread.:thu:

• Members

gotcha Bryan... i just get irritated with some of the {censored} that goes on around here... especially when someone is trying to tell someone else their business... nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me how to do MY job or telling me how SIMPLE my job is when they haven't a {censored}ing clue how to do it themselves... you're the pickup maker for {censored}sake:facepalm:... next thing you know, this guy will be telling me that he knows more about the 661 Whitney that i run, the only one in existance with a drill i might add, or our stretch former, also the only on in existance...
:mad:
it's just ridiculous to sit there and tell aguy that does something day in and day out for his bread and butter, and does it successfuly, that he DOESN'T know what he's doing or what he's talking about...

You guys are really going off the deep end. I didn't say I knew his job better than he did. I simply said that pickups are very simple devices and simple to make. This is empirical fact.

I'm sure Mr. BG is very good at what he does. It doesn't change the fact that pickups are very simple devices and that factory workers in Asia are more than capable of making them just as good or better than someone here in the US.

• Members

gotcha Bryan... i just get irritated with some of the {censored} that goes on around here... especially when someone is trying to tell someone else their business... nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me how to do MY job or telling me how SIMPLE my job is when they haven't a {censored}ing clue how to do it themselves... you're the pickup maker for {censored}sake:facepalm:... next thing you know, this guy will be telling me that he knows more about the 661 Whitney that i run, the only one in existance with a drill i might add, or our stretch former, also the only on in existance...
:mad:
it's just ridiculous to sit there and tell aguy that does something day in and day out for his bread and butter, and does it successfuly, that he DOESN'T know what he's doing or what he's talking about...

Yea, this is his entertainment.

I've gotten about a dozen PMs in the last 1/2 hour from people cluing me into this guy. I guess he does this to lots of people. I think the admins have their eye on him.

I feel silly that I bit on his {censored}.

• Members

I've gotten about a dozen PMs in the last 1/2 hour from people cluing me into this guy. I guess he does this to lots of people. I think the admins have their eye on him.

When you can't win an argument about your own field of expertise, do you always resort to passive aggressive threats? Just wonderin'.

• Members

I feel silly that I bit on his {censored}.

i ALWAYS bite... every damn time:facepalm:

• Members

I'm wondering how many people in this thread have actually run a CNC machine. I ran them for a living about 10 years ago and I can tell you that they sure as {censored} aren't as precise as everyone in here is assuming them to be. My company ripped out the WWII (1940-ish) conomatic screw machines to replace them with Fuji CNC's. They were slower and less precise and sensors and tooling were constantly breaking and that was running off forgings that were already relatively close to tolerance. The cono screw machines were carving raw product from bar steel. We are talking about aerospace and automotive bearings with tolerances within thousandths of an inch.

The only upside for our company was that you could train any tom, dick, or harry to run them and the older screw machines were more of a craft. It took a certain type of mechanical person to be able to run them effectively.

Anyways I can hear a difference between a Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio and something like a Novak/Fralin/BG. If you can't hear the difference you are tone deaf or kidding yourself. There is a difference. You can paint a Honda red and tell yourself it's a Ferrari but it isn't.

• Members

I'm wondering how many people in this thread have actually run a CNC machine. I ran them for a living about 10 years ago and I can tell you that they sure as {censored} aren't as precise as everyone in here is assuming them to be. My company ripped out the WWII (1940-ish) conomatic screw machines to replace them with Fuji CNC's. They were slower and less precise and sensors and tooling were constantly breaking and that was running off forgings that were already relatively close to tolerance. The cono screw machines were carving raw product from bar steel. We are talking about aerospace and automotive bearings with tolerances within thousandths of an inch.

The only upside for our company was that you could train any tom, dick, or harry to run them and the older screw machines were more of a craft. It took a certain type of mechanical person to be able to run them effectively.

Anyways I can hear a difference between a Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio and something like a Novak/Fralin/BG. If you can't hear the difference you are tone deaf or kidding yourself. There is a difference. You can paint a Honda red and tell yourself it's a Ferrari but it isn't.

you feel my pain brother... the two CNC machines i operate are constantly {censored}ing up... one is a 661 Whitney with a plasma torch, punch ram, and drill... the other is an ESAB burn table with two plasmas and three gas torches, and i fight them both constantly:mad:

• Members

Right on Eric..Glad to hear it:thu:

Damon thanks for the support.

I haven't had a chance to get back to you, but I installed the set of BG Buckers in my buddy's birthday Les Paul... Gawd damn!!! You did it again, bro. They're amazingly sweet. He's going to be amazingly happy with them. :)

One day, sometime in the future, I'll have a nice ice tea burst Les Paul that I'll need you to wind me a set of pickups like Jimmy Page's #2... :thu:

• Members

Who know that typing the word "Duesenburg" in a thread title would be such a hit!

Well done sir, well done.
:thu::)

This is Amazing, do I get some kind of Award!

The whole reason I thought about getting GFS pickups is because some of my expensive equipment stacked right up there with my less expensive stuff. Two cases in point- The Bad Monkey sounded the same to my ears as the TS808 Tubescreamer and the Blackstar HT5 sounded better than the Mesa Express 5:25. Alot of factors could come into play like size of room how loud I play etc. But to my ears it sounded the same or better and in both cases the more expensive ones were more than double the price. So from my experience there was less expensive gear out there that could sound the same or better as its expensive counterpart. Plus those Gold Pearl Dream 180s would have looked tits on my Duesenberg.