Barncaster update

Freeman Keller

• Members

Some of you might remember the guitar that I built a year or so ago out of wood salvaged from an old barn that my wife and I had worked on. The barn is part of a homestead on property that is now a 1500 acre nature reserve. Here was the thread that I did back then

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31484924-barncaster

The guitar isn't all that special - just your basic tele-clone and the wood is kind of junky looking – however I thought it might appeal to someone who appreciates its history

IMG_2242_zpskpcavw0y.jpg

IMG_2347_zpsyfjs3p4j.jpg

The headstock inlay pays tribute to the great horned owl that lives in the barn

IMG_2365_zpsfmy7ojrp.jpg

Since I built the guitar I was informed that the wood I used was probably from the watering trough for the draft horses that pulled the machinery on the farm.

Anyway, I donated the guitar to the Land Trust that owns the property and whose mission is the preservation of natural places in the area that I live. They had their annual dinner last weekend and put the Barncaster up for silent auction. The bidding started at $500 (my son told me to put his name on the opening bid) - I told my wife I would be pleased if it reached a grand.

The guitar sold for more than I thought it would, money going to preserve more wild and scenic places. I think the owl is happy

• Members

That's cool. I have some wood I'm saving for a project like that, the only problem is I'll never get around to it. But it's from an old picnic table that was probably bought around 1960, my guess was from Alabama. Dad was Air Force so we moved around a bit. But the reason I think it's special is that it is cypress. Just a few years ago, I broke it down, but it was amazing how many many years it was able to stand up to outdoor weather before it started to rot. So I salvaged some of the better pieces from the table and still have a couple benches that are usable. Hard to get rid of a picnic table that traveled to so many places with you and that's captured in old family pictures, including a B-day picture of me when I must have been 3 or 4 yo, so what better tribute could I do to it than see if I could carve an ax out of it. smiley-wink

• Members

Let me just slobber all over myself and gush about how much I love your posts, whatever the subject matter may be. I have no room for a shop, no skill even if I did, and forget about the focus. Waiting for a shipment of kudos, I'll FedEx some your way....

• Moderators

I have a stair newel post from Sir James Dyson's House, built somewhere in the early 19th century, it was a piece of a rosewood staircase, 4 x 4 x 35", so it'll yield a Fender neck, a set neck and a fretboard. Ain't got a clue what to do with the pieces, all cut to size, waiting for the courage to work them.

Seemingly a loft of hardwoods came out of that house after he sold up and the next bunch of nouveau riche turned it into a techno house with all new green oaks and modern hardwoods etc.

I know at least a whole 4 storey mahogany staircase was dumpstered

Archived