String review - Martin Lifespans, Elixer HD Lights

Freeman Keller

• Members

A few of you might remember the great string test of some years ago - I posted clips of a number of different strings on the same guitar. The idea was to compare the two main compositions of the windings (PB vs 80/20) and to see if coatings had any effect on the sound and life of the string. Different people had different ideas about which string they thought sounded best (as should be), but the result for me was that Elixer Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze became my string of choice for all my different acoustic guitars and I have been using them sincee. Every now and then something new comes along and I give it a try (and write a little review) but I haven't done the back to back blind recording that I did back in 2008.

I've also simplified the process of stringing 12 different guitars by using standard sets - the six stringers all get lights, the resonators get mediums with a 14 on the first string and the 12 strings get either lights (10's) for tuning to D or really heavy strings (13's) for tuning to C. What this means is that I can get by with a spare set of lights and a spare set of mediums and cover all the different guitars. Life is good.

Every now and then my local shop will give me something new to try - DR's (which I really like but they are hard to get in all the sizes), Red's which took "mellow" to a new extreme, some D'Addarios (which I haven't tried yet) and most recently, some Martin "Lifespan" SP's which is Martins long life treated string (remember that Elixer's are coated with a gortex like material, DR's and D'Addario's have a surface treatment.

Anyway, I put the Lifespans on my favorite old 000 and within a week they had started tarnishing at the first five frets on all strings - they looked like they had been on forever. In addition, if I played very long I would get black stuff on my finger tips - whatever the treatment is it seems to wear off pretty rapidly. Sound wise they are pretty normal PB - mellow and warm, nothing really bad but not outstanding either. Verdict - I don't like strings that look old or tarnish my fingers.

I said above that I had standardized on lights (0.012 to 0.054) on all my standard acoustics. I am a fingerstyle player, almost never use a pick, but I do play in a lot of altered tunings and I play slide on everything I own. Tuning a set of lights down to open D or G always left the top couple of string fairly slack - I could never get really clean slide playing with them. Then I see a new gauge set from Elixer - they call them "Light HD" (don't know what the HD stands for - maybe Heavy Duty?). Anyway, the are lights on the bottom three with a medium (13 and 17) on the first two and something in between (25) on the third. They were apparently developed for use on some Taylor models and they come in both PB and 80/20 with the thinner Nanoweb coating.

I put a set on the 000 and loved them. They have the warm sound that I associate with PB's, less squeak during finger slides that uncoated strings and I expect them to last 3 months or so. But the trebles have significantly more punch that standard lights - that tiny difference in tension really makes the top string stand out. I can still do half step bends, they feel about the same, and I can now tune the top string to a D and don't get any slide rattle.

Short story, I like them so much that I threw a set on the mahogany 00 last night - same reaction. A bit more treble and enough tension for open G and D, but still the warmth that I love in the old blues box.

Elixers aren't for everyone - they are expensive (but their life makes up for that) and might be hard to get, but if you like them, if you play with flesh and nails, and/or if you explore altered tunings you owe it to yourself to try Elixer Light HD's. I'll try to get around to making some clips but in the meantime I need to run to the music store and get a couple more sets.

• Members

Thanks for the review, Freeman. I think the 'HD' stands for 'High Definition,' which is probably a marketing buzzword. Could be wrong. I would have a problem with these strings mainly because I like to do whole-tone bends on either the B or E strings, and that would be a bit of a struggle.

• Members

Hey Freeman,

I vote wholeheartedly for the Elixer Light strings. I use them on my acoustics. I prefer the Poly's, the Nano's squeak on me. For me they stay in tune and the sound is what my ears like to hear. I'm surprised you didn't get ripped for bringing up such a common subject. Take Care.

• Members
Thanks for the info Freeman! I'm going to try those Light HDs out. What a shame about the Lifespans--I would have expected better of Martin' date=' since I usually use their uncoated strings and like them a lot. [/quote']

When I mentioned the tarnishing to a clerk at the store he said he had heard that from several other people too. Its kind of ironic that a string that is supposed to last a long time looks old after only a week or so.

• Members

Just ordered a set , I have had the (non hd) lights on my 000 for probably six months now and the still sound very good though I do feel it could use some help due to the body size of the guitar ... the same strings on the Yamaha I use to have sounded much richer.

I don't get why the low end would be fuller with the hd though since they are the same size as the light set...

Thanks for the heads-up on these... ...

• Members
. . . I don't get why the low end would be fuller with the hd though since they are the same size as the light set...

I don't get it either. Sounds too much like black magic. I'm sure there are valid scientific reasons behind it--probably composition?--but it beats me.

• Members

I don't get it either. Sounds too much like black magic. I'm sure there are valid scientific reasons behind it--probably composition?--but it beats me.

If I said there was more low end, that is wrong. There is more high end, the net result is the overall sound is fuller (but still warm). And I really like the slight additional tension

• Members

If I said there was more low end, that is wrong. There is more high end, the net result is the overall sound is fuller (but still warm). And I really like the slight additional tension

Didn't read that in your review of the string Freeman but Elixir is claiming:

Elixir Nanoweb HD Light Strings have a bolder high end and fuller low end with a balanced voice across all the strings....

• Members

Didn't read that in your review of the string Freeman but Elixir is claiming:

Elixir Nanoweb HD Light Strings have a bolder high end and fuller low end with a balanced voice across all the strings....

Oh, why would anyone read what the manufacturer says......

• Members

I watched a few of elixir's videos on the HDs basically it was designed primarily for small bodied guitars. They also talk about the additional tension adding to the tone of the guitar itself so maybe that is where they are coming up with the full warmer low end black magic story but another plus is they are not going to overload the top of small bodied guitar from too much tension...

I also consider elixir string to be probably the least expensive strings out there (as mentioned) due to their long life. Very much looking forward to trying these. I ordered them for $16 with free shipping from Sweetwater.com

• Members

I need double-duty acoustic/electric (magnetic pick-up) strings for my arch-top. I've heard Martin has some retro Monel alloy strings on the market. I look forward to trying them out when I get back to the States later this year. For my flat-tops, I stick with various EXP's or Nano's. I may try some DR's though. That company is owned by Al Dronge's son.

• Members

My experience of Elixirs here in hot, humid, salty air by beach in Thailand is that they outlast the others by a wide margin, and retain their sound in the bargain. Regular strings will just blow off the guitar in a few weeks, and get to wipe off overnight rust before playing. Easy to understand why stringed instruments are not too common native inventions.

• Members
My experience of Elixirs here in hot' date=' humid, salty air by beach in Thailand is that they outlast the others by a wide margin, and retain their sound in the bargain. Regular strings will just blow off the guitar in a few weeks, and get to wipe off overnight rust before playing. Easy to understand why stringed instruments are not too common native inventions.[/quote'] Can you buy 'em in Thailand? They last but they're wrapped in paper. I always bring sets over by the dozen from the US. The EXP's are plastic-wrapped. I actually put my Elixirs in a plastic bag because they may be sitting there for a year or more.

• Members
I need double-duty acoustic/electric (magnetic pick-up) strings for my arch-top. I've heard Martin has some retro Monel alloy strings on the market. I look forward to trying them out when I get back to the States later this year. . . .

Don't know about the Martin monels but DR Zebras, GHS White Bronze, John Pearse Nickel Wound, or Newtone Electro-Acoustic or Jazz would all fit the bill, depending on what's available where you are. As for flat tops, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I put DRs on guitars I set up for others because they last quite a while and I have no way of knowing how often they change their strings.

• Members

our

My experience of Elixirs here in hot' date=' humid, salty air by beach in Thailand is that they outlast the others by a wide margin, and retain their sound in the bargain. Regular strings will just blow off the guitar in a few weeks, and get to wipe off overnight rust before playing. Easy to understand why stringed instruments are not too common native inventions.[/quote']

I think a bit of exaggeration lies in the intent of this story but that's pretty evident. Oh, and have you ever thought abought wiping "regular strings" down with a preservative oil? Seems obviously missing from your pitch for coated strings versus a humid environment. I mean, I've been on Guam for many months and not once did I see strings blow off the guitar or rust overnight. I guess the preservative oil wipe down prevented thator there's a different humidity over there. Ditto for the island of Yap in the Western Carolines. Hawaii might have been the same had it not been for it being Hawaii. Nothing dare rusts in the island jewel of the Pacific. It wouldn't be right. Oh, and the corrosive beach air of the Pacific and Atlantic on-shore breezes (pick a credible place) should be highlighted to pitch the coated strings so don't forget that in your next promotion.

• Members
our I think a bit of exaggeration lies in the intent of this story but that's pretty evident. Oh' date=' and have you ever thought abought wiping "regular strings" down with a preservative oil? Seems obviously missing from your pitch for coated strings versus a humid environment. I mean, I've been on Guam for many months and not once did I see strings blow off the guitar or rust overnight. I guess the preservative oil wipe down prevented thator there's a different humidity over there. Ditto for the island of Yap in the Western Carolines. Hawaii might have been the same had it not been for it being Hawaii. Nothing dare rusts in the island jewel of the Pacific. It wouldn't be right. Oh, and the corrosive beach air of the Pacific and Atlantic on-shore breezes (pick a credible place) should be highlighted to pitch the coated strings so don't forget that in your next promotion.[/quote']There's no exaggeration - Elixirs outlast uncoated strings by a huge margin. After 10 hours of playing a fresh set of DR Sunbeams I'm dying to change them. With Elixirs I'm starting to think I "should" change them after around 50 hours. I wash my hands and wipe my strings, but there's no comparison in terms of lifespan. I do prefer the sound of fresh Sunbeams, but Elixir PB's also sound great and I use them on my acoustic electric.

• Members
our

I think a bit of exaggeration lies in the intent of this story but that's pretty evident. Oh, and have you ever thought abought wiping "regular strings" down with a preservative oil? Seems obviously missing from your pitch for coated strings versus a humid environment. I mean, I've been on Guam for many months and not once did I see strings blow off the guitar or rust overnight. I guess the preservative oil wipe down prevented thator there's a different humidity over there. Ditto for the island of Yap in the Western Carolines. Hawaii might have been the same had it not been for it being Hawaii. Nothing dare rusts in the island jewel of the Pacific. It wouldn't be right. Oh, and the corrosive beach air of the Pacific and Atlantic on-shore breezes (pick a credible place) should be highlighted to pitch the coated strings so don't forget that in your next promotion.

If my other computer hadn't gone south recently I could show photos. I am not exaggerating. It has even taken finish off Tacoma jumbo, came off like hunks of sunburned skin in May. I resisted Elixirs for years for several reasons: I don't like Taylors (silly how mind works), thought they were using "more expensive so must be better" marketing. I got a nice used Reverend guitar, strings lasted 3+ months and of course didn't know what brand they were. Tried EXPs, Everclear, Martin lifespan, etc. Finally broke down and tried Elixir. Bingo.

I resent the tone of "promotion" and 'pitch" regarding my comments. I am sharing my experience because I found a good one. Isn't that what these forums are for: to share info and help each other out? I have no connection of any sort with musical business other than spending my tmoney for more toys. I load up on strings on trips to USA, as prices here are 2-3x higher. I haven't tried oil wipedown of strings because I don't know how that might affect unfinished fretboards.

Final note on "paper or plastic": have some packs of Martins, in paper for quite some time and no rust problem. Got some Ernie Ball wrapped in plastice and they were already rusted in package for G B E. Go figure that one out. Maybe I should make a video of opening a pack and post it?

Do you keep your guitars in an aircon space? . If so, that would tend to negate or minimize impact of salt air, heat and humidity. Only use aircon here on hottest of hot days in April.

• Members

Just an FYI regarding strings. I used to use Sadowsky strings on my Sadowsky archtop. It made sense at the time and the sound was OK. However, I decided I had just talked myself into believing it. I went back to the Thomastik-Infeld strings and I'll probably stay there for the electric archtops. Anyway, to my point. There was a time when Sadowsky was out of the strings I bought for the Jimmy Bruno Model and one of the technicians told me that I didn't hear it from him but to buy Chromes until their stock built back up. I now use Chrome as a back-up to the Thomastik-Infeld strings.

• Members

Timing is everything... Just changed from my usual elixer pbs light to 80/20 mediums and I'll be going right back to pb on my next set... All blackwood Taylor 426ce. The HD's sound like they might be just the ticket for alt tuned 12's... Thanks!

Archived