How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Members

'Wealth' is actually not created by private industry... Private industry moves wealth around, it doesn't create it.

Complete bollocks. Incredibly stupid and ass backwards.

Lets say C-bread buys some parts for $30 to build a Hieronymus, pays someone to build it for $40, it gets sold to whatever company distributes it for $120, and it get sold to a customer for $200.

C-breads raw profit (not including the time it takes to develop said product) is around $50. What is that $50 called? Wealth creation.

So god damned simple.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lets say C-bread buys some parts for $30 to build a
Hieronymus
, pays someone to build it for $40, it gets sold to whatever company distributes it for $120, and it get sold to a customer for $200.

C-breads raw profit (not including the time it takes to develop said product) is around $50. What is that $50 called? Wealth creation.

So god damned simple.

Wrong. It is simply moving the wealth from the customer to Catalinbread. While that has its value to society, it doesn't actually *create* any wealth.

EDIT: It creates wealth for individual people, in a sense I guess. But societally it does nothing but move it around. There's $390 in the equation at the beginning, and $390 at the end, it is just in different hands from where it started.

• Members

Lets say C-bread buys some parts for $30 to build a
Hieronymus
, pays someone to build it for $40, it gets sold to whatever company distributes it for $120, and it get sold to a customer for $200.

So god damned simple.

Labor creates wealth. A business owner takes risk adding capital to the equation, but doesn't actually have to expend a lot of energy beyond that if they don't wish to. Without labor there would be nothing made to extract wealth from. If nobody has a job, nobody will buy what c-bread makes. Demand comes from the ground up, yo.

• Members

Labor creates wealth. A business owner takes risk adding capital to the equation, but doesn't actually have to expend a lot of energy beyond that if they don't wish to. Without labor there would be nothing made to extract wealth from. If nobody has a job, nobody will buy what c-bread makes. Demand comes from the ground up, yo.

That's another way of looking at it. On a macro scale, I still say that wealth is an aggregate of resources (of which labor is one), and the only thing that fundamentally increases that aggregate is innovation.

EDIT: Labor creates value, not wealth.

• Members

Wrong. It is simply moving the wealth from the customer to Catalinbread. While that has its value to society, it doesn't actually *create* any wealth.

EDIT: It creates wealth for individual people, in a sense I guess. But societally it does nothing but move it around. There's $390 in the equation at the beginning, and $390 at the end, it is just in different hands from where it started.

Yup. Strikes me as the source of recession is the growing disparity between increases in labor productivity and the comparative stagnation of labor compensation. The people who actually create the goods and services can't actually afford to purchase the goods and services that they produce.

• Members

If a company spends money/time furthering an agenda I am really opposed to then I won't do business with them but there is a difference in an individual and a company. Also, it is impossible for me to research everyone I do business with, so as long as they don't make it glaringly obvious then it'll never matter. I wish there was a realistic way I could know more about the people behind the stuff I purchase but basically if you look at any large company there will be some of their suppliers, donations or business practices you don't agree with.

• Members

Big companies won't usually make overt political statements a facebook page. They do their talking with money. That talking is usually far more effective, and often bypasses a debate completely by getting whoever they want elected, laws passed that they want, and subsidies to fill their coffers.

GE paid no taxes for 2011 on billions of dollars in profits. Some of those profits are for contracts they have directly with the government.

But hey at least they didn't talk about politics on facebook. :D

• Members

Big companies won't usually make overt political statements a facebook page. They do their talking with money. That talking is usually far more effective, and often bypasses a debate completely by getting whoever they want elected, laws passed that they want, and subsidies to fill their coffers.

GE paid no taxes for 2011 on billions of dollars in profits. Some of those profits are for contracts they have directly with the government.

But hey at least they didn't talk about politics on facebook.
:D

Koch brothers, AT&T, Walmart, et al. Huge political balls, no jibber jabber on facebook. Just try to boycott them. Voting with your dollars is really hard in an oligarchy.

• Members
Somethings are more important than customers.

really? That video you posted was more important than selling pedals to musicians who might share every love in the world with you except videos featuring pointless political bickering even if its displayed in a neat tear sheet method.

You'd rather alienate fellow musicians over something like that? Did you actually buy into that pathetic display ... wow

the GOP blah blah THEY TOOK R JERBS blah blah blah GOP blah blah blah JEEERBS

you sure take your free dumb of speech srsly

yeah everyone wants jobs for themselves and their loved ones. That guy ain't helping, you posting that video ain't helping, you really want to help, post less videos, sell more pedals, hire more people, give them better benefits. :)

bladows

• Members
really? That video you posted was more important than selling pedals to musicians who might share every love in the world with you except videos featuring pointless political bickering even if its displayed in a neat tear sheet method.

You'd rather alienate fellow musicians over something like that? Did you actually buy into that pathetic display ... wow

yeah everyone wants jobs for themselves and their loved ones. That guy ain't helping, you posting that video ain't helping, you really want to help, post less videos, sell more pedals, hire more people, give them better benefits.
:)

bladows

Great post.

• Members

yeah everyone wants jobs for themselves and their loved ones. That guy ain't helping, you posting that video ain't helping, you really want to help, post less videos, sell more pedals, hire more people, give them better benefits.
:)

bladows

CONSUMERISM WILL SAAAAAVE US ALLLLLL

• Members

I don't care if companies want to publicize their political views, it's their right, (at least in America it is). Though if they do, they should expect that their views will be considered when people choose weather to purchase something from them. So it's probably not the best business strategy, but then again money isn't everything.

• Members

Public or not, Waldo/Nic/Catalinbread's political views aren't anything remarkable or unusual for someone living in PDX. I mean, even if he weren't posting them on this board or facebook or wherever, you could probably guess them. I don't really see how making them public really makes any difference.

• Members

As far as I'm concerned, a business' number one objective is to make money for it's owner(s)/shareholders....you do that buy appealing to as many people as possible and by making a superior product/offering a superior service.

To me, politics is bad business for any company, large or small...you're going to alienate someone. And at the expense of what? Voicing your opinion? Big deal....you can do that with your friends & family & acquaintances...if you want to stay successful, you leave politics out of the equation. In my line of work I deal with the public on a very personal level every day & there are 2 main rules: No politics, no religion.

• Members
BOOM.

For anyone to argue that that is not the number one objective....come on.
:rolleyes:

exactly....if that is not your number one objective (and thereby meaning all of your actions & practices are geared to achieve that objective), then you shouldn't own a business.

start a non-profit, be a public speaker, whatever, but not in a money making venture.

Archived