How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hate the game, not the playa... is all I'm sayin'.

Actually that's exactly what I'm saying: everybody can deduct whatever is fair under the current system and nobody is amoral for maximizing their personal returns, but that doesn't mean that the system for assessing taxes itself isn't fundamentally {censored}ed. I don't hate individual players, I don't even hate the game, I hate the poorly thought out and unevenly enforced rules.

• Members
Actually that's exactly what I'm saying: everybody can deduct whatever is fair under the current system and nobody is amoral for maximizing their personal returns, but that doesn't mean that the system for assessing taxes itself isn't fundamentally {censored}ed. I don't hate individual players, I don't even hate the game, I hate the poorly thought out and unevenly enforced rules.

Word to your mother, brother. :thu:

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)

Someone write a tax code that is ten sentences and everyone will pay their fair share.

• Members

Anyway... I'd appreciate if Catalinbread could make sure to pay as much taxes as they can. Please do not deduct business expenses... thanks!

You do realize my company is not an offshored corporation right? It is an Sole Member LLC. Which means not only do I pay payroll taxes for employees, I also pay self-employment tax (for the honor of not working for somebody else), local and federal taxes, sales taxes etc. Taxes I pay are a much higher percentage to income, than say Exxon's. Not to mention my industry is not subsidized.

Business deductions are a red herring, because they adjust the net income down, in my case, down to a very modest lower middle class income... When Exxon has found all of their business expenses and deducted them they still had $9.25 billion in net profits for only 1 quarter! And they still get a refund check back from the IRS for $1.1 Billion! WOW! I am so in the same disposition as these guys.
:rolleyes:

• Members

Someone write a tax code that is ten sentences and everyone will pay their fair share.

I dunno if that's necessarily the case, and I'm wary of people who tout simplicity for its own sake as a philosophical virtue for governance, but I certainly agree that the complexity of the tax code does lend itself toward those with the resources to manipulate it having an unfair advantage.

(Wow, that is a difficult sentance to parse, I hope it makes sense)

• Members

I don't mind if they don't agree with me politically but if they use their profits to donate to causes I don't support and I'm aware of it I won't continue to give them my money if I don't have to. For instance, I don't buy Danelectro products since they donated $10,000 to support Prop 8 here in California.

I donate to the following organizations:

Red Cross

USO

Little Kids Rock

VH1 Save the Music

Apraxia-KIDS

• Members

Why selfimpose silence about things you believe to be? Sorta like lying to kick it. I mean why would you wanna work for somebody who has that big of a problem with your atheism in the first place?

I'm not lying about it here am I? I'm John Boss, I invented Boss pedals. I just don't talk about this stuff on the Boss Facebook page because I don't want to discourage Sarah Palin from buying an OC-3. I also don't want to be rude to my good friends who happen to be Christian.

• Members

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. With a few notable exceptions, people in most parts of the world have a right to express that opinion publicly. Owing or being an executive in a company gives you a podium where you can choose to express that opinion. The higher the company's profile, the more people that will hear that opinion. The same applies to anyone in a high profile position, including politicians and celebrities.

If you choose to use your position to publicly express an opinion or support a political position then that's your right. As long as you accept that associating your opinion with your company may have repercussions, both good and bad, then everything's fine.

Consumers have similar rights. If a company has expressed a public opinion you don't agree with then you can choose not to buy their products. Likewise, if they express an opinion you agree with then you can choose to support them.

My pedal company is a small part-time garage operation, so my podium is equivalent to standing on a cardboard flat. Even so, I choose for the company to remain politically neutral. If I have a political opinion then I don't express it under the company banner. I also have a day job at a large international corporation, and they have similar policies for their employees. We can be as politically active as we like, as long as we don't drag them into it.

• Members

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. With a few notable exceptions, people in most parts of the world have a right to express that opinion publicly. Owing or being an executive in a company gives you a podium where you can choose to express that opinion. The higher the company's profile, the more people that will hear that opinion. The same applies to anyone in a high profile position, including politicians and celebrities.

If you choose to use your position to publicly express an opinion or support a political position then that's your right. As long as you accept that associating your opinion with your company may have repercussions, both good and bad, then everything's fine.

Consumers have similar rights. If a company has expressed a public opinion you don't agree with then you can choose not to buy their products. Likewise, if they express an opinion you agree with then you can choose to support them.

My pedal company is a small part-time garage operation, so my podium is equivalent to standing on a cardboard flat. Even so, I choose for the company to remain politically neutral. If I have a political opinion then I don't express it under the company banner. I also have a day job at a large international corporation, and they have similar policies for their employees. We can be as politically active as we like, as long as we don't drag them into it.

I've been political before I started this company... Eight years later it is suddenly it is news to people. Guess my podium has risen to the height of a phonebook. :)

• Members
They are doing a bang up job cutting spending too! Attacking unions, education, planned parenthood, while leaving alone wars, corporate tax dodgers etc.

Time to start forcing them too, I say. Politicians don't stand on the street and wait for a parade to form behind them, they see a parade on the street then run out in front of it proclaiming, "I am the leader of this here parade!" Which is to say they don't do anything if there aren't enough voices saying do so.

You do realize my company is not an offshored corporation right? It is an Sole Member LLC. Which means not only do I pay payroll taxes for employees, I also pay self-employment tax (for the honor of not working for somebody else), local and federal taxes, sales taxes etc. Taxes I pay are a much higher percentage to income, than say Exxon's. Not to mention my industry is not subsidized.

Business deductions are a red herring, because they adjust the net income down, in my case, down to a very modest lower middle class income... When Exxon has found all of their business expenses and deducted them they still had $9.25 billion in net profits for only 1 quarter! And they still get a refund check back from the IRS for $1.1 Billion! WOW! I am so in the same disposition as these guys.

:rolleyes:

And the rich get richer. I say pedals for everyone regardless of work ethic!

• Members
Your logic is truly dizzying. Nice job dodging my points though.
:thu:

Thats weird... I thought we were in agreement on most of what you said... thats why I didn't really respond.

I wouldn't compare you to Exxon either... Exxon only has three brands of overpriced dirt... regular, midgrade, and premium.

• Members

Thats weird... I thought we were in agreement on most of what you said... thats why I didn't really respond.

I wouldn't compare you to Exxon either... Exxon only has three brands of overpriced dirt... regular, midgrade, and premium.

Nah we aren't. Not a fan of strawman arguments:

I say pedals for everyone regardless of work ethic!

• Members

Nah we aren't. Not a fan of strawman arguments:

Lol, buddy... I'm jaykayin here... you mad?

The only reason I brought this topic up is because your company made me think about it. I don't care what your politics are... I was just curious how it made BUYERS feel.

To be honest... I didn't have plans to buy your pedals in the first place and your post doesn't change that for good or for bad.

I mean... you realize the only reason I saw your post is because I'm a fan of Catalinbread right?

• Members

Lol, buddy... I'm jaykayin here... you mad?

The only reason I brought this topic up is because your company made me think about it. I don't care what your politics are... I was just curious how it made BUYERS feel.

To be honest... I didn't have plans to buy your pedals in the first place and your post doesn't change that for good or for bad.

I mean... you realize the only reason I saw your post is because I'm a
fan
of Catalinbread right?

Dude that's like saying "No offense, but {censored} YOU!"

backpedal'ing

Archived