How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's referring to working class people who look up to, idolize, or generally are infatuated with the Rich. The kind of people who take time out of their day to catch up on people who are famous for nothing more than being wealthy. The theory is that many of these people feel something akin to sympathy for these ultra rich people when they start talking about regulations or raising taxes.

once again, if you think this phenomenon is limited to republicans, you're quite naive.

• Members

Dang this thread spun out of control quick.... I think the final answer is that it can hurt your business as well as support it. I think many people think the government doesn't work properly some think we should make it work, others think we should make it smaller. The final outcome will probably land somewhere in the middle, just like the government will need to cut spending AND raise taxes to fix the budget mess they're in.

• Members

Nic, I just want to clarify something, nothing I posted had anything to do with *dickswords*, like I said, in general (from what I have read) I agree with much of what I've seen you say in political threads and obviously have no issues with it, quite the contrary. The only reason I said what I said at all is because I have had problems in the past with things along the same lines (which I won't go into), not that you necessarily will but my industry (agriculture) is obviously going to be different than yours. The reason I phrased it the way I did was because my industry, location and opinions tend to clash which is why I seperate that stuff. You would think that people would be smart enough to vote for their own interests anyways...

• Members

You know, I remember that you were in agriculture, I also think I remember that you said you inherited that responsibility. I didn't wanna point out the differences between your business and mine, I suspected that you recognized it all along. If I were in your biz and your locality I'd consider airing my opinions. Fact is I started a company that functions on the fringes of reality, I also have a habit of hiring strong personalities... It makes us a motley bunch, it is also why we continue to grow the biz. The stuff this crew comes up with is incredible. We continue to attract new customers and musicians. I've always been vocal about politics, nothing new no break through there.

There are a lot of things one can do to make a buck, may as well be true to oneself. Anything else is work or worse.

Nic, I just want to clarify something, nothing I posted had anything to do with *dickswords*, like I said, in general (from what I have read) I agree with much of what I've seen you say in political threads and obviously have no issues with it, quite the contrary. The only reason I said what I said at all is because I have had problems in the past with things along the same lines (which I won't go into), not that you necessarily will but my industry (agriculture) is obviously going to be different than yours. The reason I phrased it the way I did was because my industry, location and opinions tend to clash which is why I seperate that stuff. You would think that people would be smart enough to vote for their own interests anyways...

• Members

You know, I remember that you were in agriculture, I also think I remember that you said you inherited that responsibility. I didn't wanna point out the differences between your business and mine, I suspected that you recognized it all along. If I were in your biz and your locality I'd consider airing my opinions. Fact is I started a company that functions on the fringes of reality, I also have a habit of hiring strong personalities... It makes us a motley bunch, it is also why we continue to grow the biz. The stuff this crew comes up with is incredible. We continue to attract new customers and musicians. I've always been vocal about politics, nothing new no break through there.

There are a lot of things one can do to make a buck, may as well be true to oneself. Anything else is work or worse.

No, my family were farmers my brother and I run a business. They grew food to survive and sold extra to make money for the winter, we made the business we have today ourselves which is a full-line, year-round, wholesale produce repacker/brokerage/grower/shipper. I run my business in a way I am comfortable with and a way that is inline with what I believe. Business is business, it isn't personal it is just that, I don't see it as a platform..... You know what I have been sitting here typing and then deleting over and over because I don't know how to put this where it doesn't sound worse than I mean it so I will just say this: you and I disagree on this and while in theory I side with you, in practice I have nothing to gain, only potential loss so I don't/wouldn't put myself in that situation. I hire whoever will be best for the job, put people in places they can succeed and those people come from all walks of life... Also, I don't lie about my opinions, I just don't offer it up when I feel it serves no purpose. I love what I do and am extremely happy in my job if I didn't I wouldn't be doing it.

• Members

No, my family were farmers my brother and I run a business. They grew food to survive and sold extra to make money for the winter, we made the business we have today ourselves which is a full-line, year-round, wholesale produce repacker/brokerage/grower/shipper. I run my business in a way I am comfortable with and a way that is inline with what I believe. Business is business, it isn't personal it is just that, I don't see it as a platform..... You know what I have been sitting here typing and then deleting over and over because I don't know how to put this where it doesn't sound worse than I mean it so I will just say this: you and I disagree on this and while in theory I side with you, in practice I have nothing to gain, only potential loss so I don't/wouldn't put myself in that situation. I hire whoever will be best for the job, put people in places they can succeed and those people come from all walks of life... Also, I don't lie about my opinions, I just don't offer it up when I feel it serves no purpose. I love what I do and am extremely happy in my job if I didn't I wouldn't be doing it.

Yr choice is yr choice. For me to be any other way than I am, is dishonest. I wont do it. When I had a job I did. I was miserable and felt like my soul was shrinking. So, I quit (the job and biting my tongue), started this thing, hired fantastically talented people and meet other creative and thoughtful people out there interested in our work. Nothing about my politics and openness in that regard has changed for over the past decade. I suspect all that has changed is my companies profile, in which case my open vocal politics haven't gotten in the way yet in 8 years of growing this.

I would like to point out that I didn't start this thread, nor would I start such a thread here. But I would like to highlight that my Facebook friend requests are unusually high right now. We've also sold a higher percentage of pedals the past couple days than a typical this time of year. Not saying correlation implies causation, I don't think it matters really. Granted I would like to think folks respect people of principle, I know that I do.

Running a business one of the most important things to realize isn't that you don't want to alienate people who MIGHT give you money... Rather it is to know exactly whom your customers are and how to communicate with them free of bull{censored}. Know who your customers are, if you are worried about who they might be maybe, your business has other problems.

On that note. Over and out to this thread for me.

• Members

Yr choice is yr choice. For me to be any other way than I am, is dishonest. I wont do it. When I had a job I did. I was miserable and felt like my soul was shrinking. So, I quit (the job and biting my tongue), started this thing, hired fantastically talented people and meet other creative and thoughtful people out there interested in our work. Nothing about my politics and openness in that regard has changed for over the past decade. I suspect all that has changed is my companies profile, in which case my open vocal politics haven't gotten in the way yet in 8 years of growing this.

I would like to point out that I didn't start this thread, nor would I start such a thread here. But I would like to highlight that my Facebook friend requests are unusually high right now. We've also sold a higher percentage of pedals the past couple days than a typical this time of year. Not saying correlation implies causation, I don't think it matters really. Granted I would like to think folks respect people of principle, I know that I do.

Running a business one of the most important things to realize isn't that you don't want to alienate people who MIGHT give you money... Rather it is to know exactly whom your customers are and how to communicate with them free of bull{censored}. Know who your customers are, if you are worried about who they might be maybe, your business has other problems.

On that note. Over and out to this thread for me.

I'll miss you breaux.

Weeping_Parisian_from_NARA_Ww2-81.jpg

Well, look what I missed while I was working on articles... do I sense a political thread; complete with name calling, arguments, trolling and lack of civility?

Some tried. Others didn't - for those that did - thank you. For those who didn't... :cop:

Thread closed. I'll try to read it tomorrow.

Archived