How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those are good things.

Why jeopardize those things by alienating potential customers that may not agree with things that you do? You know how people are...some get really butthurt over silly {censored} like that.

Completely agree...Keep politics out of business and your going to be one laughing all the way to bank.

• Members

'Wealth' is actually not created by private industry, it is centralized by private industry - it is created by innovation. The wealth that people accumulate through private industry is just being transferred from other people to the capitalist in exchange for consumer goods, and by association to his workers in a lesser degree. Private industry moves wealth around, it doesn't create it. The progress of society depends on innovation, and it has been argued by some that private industry is more innovative than government. It is debatable, since atomic energy, the internet, GPS, supersonic flight, laser guidance systems and world-wide satellite communications (among many other things) are all the direct result of government research projects. Private industry is of course incredibly important, but the government is really responsible for creating an environment that facilitates that: intellectual property laws, gov't research grants are a good place to start thinking about this, but it really extends much further.

Best post of the thread. Nobody would watch a freemarket football game where there was no rules, no field to play on, and absolutely no referees to enforce the nonexistent rules. What would the point of that be?

• Members

I don't understand... the marching orders? I thought the marching orders were to pull back spending and debt for the US?

Neither party has done {censored} about that. So yes... both sides are failures, but I'm not speechless, its what we've come to expect.

Anyway... I'd appreciate if Catalinbread could make sure to pay as much taxes as they can. Please do not deduct business expenses... thanks!

• Members

It bothers me that people feel that others are not entitled to share their views regardless of their station in life.

You may not always agree with somebody, but when they take the time to let you know what they think at least you know where they stand. I respect that a whole hell of a lot more than somebody who guards their true self for the sake of making a buck.

Sure, but that "somebody" is a corporation...technically incapable of having an opinion. It makes more sense for individuals to use share political stuff through personal facebook pages/etc, because the rest of the company won't be associated with the "company" opinion.

• Members

I don't think anyone was implying that. From what I can tell I share your views, but I was just saying, in the context of doing business, that I can't see an upside to your business by sharing your political views when you are acting as a spokesperson of your business.

On a related note, I am an atheist. But I would be horrified if that information could easily be revealed by a Google search on my name. Who knows what work opportunities might be closed off forever by future employers? Is my ego so big that I would take potential work away in the future and therefore hurt my family financially? To relate this to your pedals, what if Guitar Center was interested in selling your stuff, but the company was headed by some hard-headed right-wingers who read your posts? Wouldn't you rather take their money and give it to your favorite charity (or your family) than potentially slam that door shut?

My free speech isn't affected. I can post my views about atheism anonymously, or talk to anyone about it whenever I want. I just think that there are unforeseen affects of posting online. Posting = Permanent.

I'm not judging at all BTW. This is just my thought process on this stuff.

Why selfimpose silence about things you believe to be? Sorta like lying to kick it. I mean why would you wanna work for somebody who has that big of a problem with your atheism in the first place?

• Members
ZvtOq.jpg

Does it turn you off to buy from someone you don't agree with politically?

Does it not change your opinion?

Do you buy more if you agree with them?

:idk:

I don't mind if they don't agree with me politically but if they use their profits to donate to causes I don't support and I'm aware of it I won't continue to give them my money if I don't have to. For instance, I don't buy Danelectro products since they donated $10,000 to support Prop 8 here in California.

• Members

Why should they pay more than their fair share?

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of saying... oh people don't pay enough taxes in this bracket or that bracket... blah blah... and yet we all deduct as much as we can to pay as little as we can. But if a rich person does it... or a corporation does it (IE: pays no taxes at all) we are up in arms about it.

Hate the game, not the playa... is all I'm sayin'.

• Members

I don't mind if they don't agree with me politically but if they use their profits to donate to causes I don't support and I'm aware of it I won't continue to give them my money if I don't have to.
For instance, I don't buy Danelectro products since they donated $10,000 to support Prop 8 here in California.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why risk potential customers by doing something like this...don't make your political, religious, whatever views public in business...it's just a bad idea.

• Members

Sure, but that "somebody" is a corporation...technically incapable of having an opinion. It makes more sense for individuals to use share political stuff through personal facebook pages/etc, because the rest of the company won't be associated with the "company" opinion.

Corporations use money to speak, they dump cash onto political candidates who will do their bidding.

• Members

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of saying... oh people don't pay enough taxes in this bracket or that bracket... blah blah... and yet we all deduct as much as we can to pay as little as we can. But if a rich person does it... or a corporation does it (IE: pays no taxes at all) we are up in arms about it.

Hate the game, not the playa... is all I'm sayin'.

You do realize 15% tax rate on capital gains is measly right? Why should somebody who moves numbers around pay a smaller percentage than somebody who does real work?

Archived