How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because freedom of speech is not going to pay for the things you wish to achieve with your business.

Perhaps - or it may gain you respect and a loyal following.

Nobody goes into this biz to get rich. If they do - they picked the wrong one. So why are there all of these little pedal companies smattered all over the globe? Because these guys and girls love what they do. Money IMO is not the biggest barrier to achieving what you want from your business - it's being continually creative on a high level. If you aren't making something that connects with people in the first place, the money is moot.

• Members

Perhaps - or it may gain you respect and a loyal following.

Nobody goes into this biz to get rich. If they do - they picked the wrong one. So why are there all of these little pedal companies smattered all over the globe? Because these guys and girls love what they do. Money IMO is not the biggest barrier to achieving what you want from your business - it's being continually creative on a high level. If you aren't making something that connects with people in the first place, the money is moot.

K.

• Members

I actually put a lot of time into researching companies I buy things from and their political stances and contributions. It is very important to me that I not be funding the perpetuation of injustice if I can help it. I think it is irresponsible to take a 'head in the sand' approach to where your money goes. Granted, selective consumerism won't solve society's problems, but it is important to me to do my best not to be part of the problem. Whenever possible, even if it costs more money or even delivers an inferior product, I choose to buy from the company which I feel is more in line with my beliefs.

That said, what is this thread actually about? I didn't 'get' the backstory.

• Members

Another pet peeve - Gov't doesn't create wealth. Gov't doesn't OWN anything to start with, it's all granted by the public in the form of taxes. Wealth is ONLY created by private industry, these people should know that.

'Wealth' is actually not created by private industry, it is centralized by private industry - it is created by innovation. The wealth that people accumulate through private industry is just being transferred from other people to the capitalist in exchange for consumer goods, and by association to his workers in a lesser degree. Private industry moves wealth around, it doesn't create it. The progress of society depends on innovation, and it has been argued by some that private industry is more innovative than government. It is debatable, since atomic energy, the internet, GPS, supersonic flight, laser guidance systems and world-wide satellite communications (among many other things) are all the direct result of government research projects. Private industry is of course incredibly important, but the government is really responsible for creating an environment that facilitates that: intellectual property laws, gov't research grants are a good place to start thinking about this, but it really extends much further.

Archived