How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it's a family-owned business or sole proprietorship, where any backlash is limited, I guess they can do what they like. But I think it's pretty irresponsible for large companies whose employees 1) may not share those views and/or 2) would be adversely affected by any such backlash. If individual owners/shareholders/employees want to support a particular organization or cause, they should be free to do so, but make it as clear as possible that they don't speak for their fellow employees.

A prime example would be the recent "spat" between Target and Lady Gaga, because Target supported a conservative candidate who - big surprise - isn't exactly a champion of gay rights. Lady Gaga took issue with this and threatened to back out of an exclusive release through Target unless they contributed to a gay rights cause of her choosing. Target declined, and the partnership was terminated. Now, I don't necessarily think that Target should have been supporting a politician directly in the first place, but I do think that "two wrongs don't make a right," and that it was better to refuse Lady Gaga's demands on the grounds that - as a business - they would now be pissing off two "factions" within their customer AND employee base. Enough is enough already, and I'm surprised that such a supposedly enlightened voice of political correctness as Lady Gaga couldn't see this.

That's just one example, but it got so much media attention that it just shows why individuals should make sure their individual opinions don't get voiced or displayed in a way that could make it seem that they as an individual speak for all of their co-workers or employees.

• Members

Only time it turns me off is when I see someone seriously supporting (with money) things I am absolutely against, because I don't want any money I may give them via my purchases going towards such things. That doesn't happen often, and expressing an opinion usually isn't enough to really bug me.

BTW, I agree with Nic for the most part when it comes to political things, so I'm not bothered in the least by this, and specifically, I absolutely agree that corporate taxes should be higher, as they also should for the very wealthy.

• Members

BIG turn off. I don't want to support people who spread propaganda. It's one thing to give an opinion on events, it's another to knowingly spread misinformation.

Another pet peeve - Gov't doesn't create wealth. Gov't doesn't OWN anything to start with, it's all granted by the public in the form of taxes. Wealth is ONLY created by private industry, these people should know that.

• Members

It bothers me that people feel that others are not entitled to share their views regardless of their station in life.

You may not always agree with somebody, but when they take the time to let you know what they think at least you know where they stand. I respect that a whole hell of a lot more than somebody who guards their true self for the sake of making a buck.

• Members

^OT for a second... Jules did you ever get to try out a vocal pedal? I offered to lend you our TC Helicon thing...

Eh. I'm starting chemo today. It doesn't look like we've got a gig anytime soon. I'm not that interested in buying a vocal processor, unless I sell some stuff first. Even then it's for the singer, not me. I hate having to always be the one to sink in money to the band.

• Members

Companies talking about politics and getting political are two different things. If they're getting political, it depends on how much I like their product(s) and what their issues are as to whether it changes anything.

• Members

It bothers me that people feel that others are not entitled to share their views regardless of their station in life.

You may not always agree with somebody, but when they take the time to let you know what they think at least you know where they stand. I respect that a whole hell of a lot more than somebody who guards their true self for the sake of making a buck.

Yeah, but letting your views, and true self shine through could potentially make people not want your product, wouldn't you agree?

• Members

to the OP, were you actually going to buy a certain calatinbread pedal then discovered this on FB and changed your mind?

or did you have the intention of buying jack {censored} and just wanted to stir {censored}?

Curiosity my good sir. Also, you know very well from chat that this was meant to stir {censored}. Don't play dumb with me.

• Members

The sanctions against Cuba are pretty much bull{censored} and really only hurt the people that live there.

Actually, cigars are the one thing that kept Castro in power. Without them he would have died decades ago. Are you saying C-bread owns a small country and is enslaving his people to create WIIOs?

• Members

the inifinitphase dude isn't selling to USA and Sweden because of our stance on Julian Assange. but apparently he has no qualms with selling to Yemen, Libya,

Saudi Arabia, etc.

if he really wanted to take a stand--he should refuse to sell to Saint Paul, MN because they take forever to fix potholes.

• Members

Actually, cigars are the one thing that kept Castro in power. Without them he would have died decades ago. Are you saying C-bread owns a small country and is enslaving his people to create WIIOs?

If he doesn't own a small country enslaving its own poor people then I'm not why he just doesn't go ahead and deny it already.

Archived