How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Utopian view? Me?

Example of how the gov't spends money:

I want a screwdriver. What do I do? I go down to the Lowes down the street and buy one. $2.99

How gov't does it: Someone has to fill out a requisition order, the order goes somewhere else to someone who can order it. They then have to verify if the screwdriver is the correct one (according to precise specifications) from the approved list of manufacturers. The order goes through to the distributor, and they send it out. Their cost to the gov't $139 EACH. How much does it cost to go though the entire process? I don't even want to know.

When you want gov't to do things for you, that is what you get - with everything.

Did you pull those numbers out of your ass? Because that's not what happens at all.

• Members

Wrong. That is a result of contractors overcharging the government because the people who approve contractor budgets do not go line by line and evaluate every single expense.

The gov't doesn't care about costs, they have no reason to. They have a budget, and what happens if they overspend? Their budget gets larger. So there's no reason whatsoever to pay attention to costs, so they don't.

• Members

The gov't doesn't care about costs, they have no reason to. They have a budget, and what happens if they overspend? Their budget gets larger. So there's no reason whatsoever to pay attention to costs, so they don't.

Thing is there is such thing as government spending that IS good. When the government invests in the development and expansion of infrastructure the private sector wins. For example the interstate system. Though I believe it is antiquated for the future, the fact that government spent money on it AND companies have utilized it for commerce the past 60 years is a really huge return on investment.

Without government spending on the interstate there would not be companies like Werner Enterprises not to mention the manufacturers of their fleets ranging from Peterbuilt to Navistar International to Freightliner. The return on this government investment far outweighs the cost of investment if we only pay attention to a small part of the trucking industry. No private sector would have invested in an interstate system.

• Members

So, you are one of the cogs in the gov't purchasing dept?

No, but I work for someone who gets government jobs all the time. I was just working side by side with Navy engineers back in February for about 2 weeks on a job. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

• Members

Wrong. That is a result of contractors overcharging the government because the people who approve contractor budgets do not go line by line and evaluate every single expense.

Yup and this sort of exploitation (if it is the norm) is more support for the expansion of regulation and staff to check everything line by line. Regulatory agencies have been systematically defunded and shrank. Not to mention, provides support to the idea that private industry would have a tough time surviving without government contracts.

• Members
Big companies won't usually make overt political statements a facebook page. They do their talking with money. That talking is usually far more effective, and often bypasses a debate completely by getting whoever they want elected, laws passed that they want, and subsidies to fill their coffers.

GE paid no taxes for 2011 on billions of dollars in profits. Some of those profits are for contracts they have directly with the government.

But hey at least they didn't talk about politics on facebook.
:D

Yeah, didn't say they did, didn't say anything like that at all. I know a good bit about the tax system in this country and how it breaks down for you and me as compared to large corporations as well as the uber rich.

Btw, not directed at Brian but in general I have seen numerous examples of small businesses in the music world doing unprofessional stuff (same in any field I guess but we are talking about music here so), you don't have to look far to find them. Also, I have heard people say time and again this or that doesn't hurt their business but really there is no way for them to know how it has directly affected them.

• Members

No, but I work for someone who gets government jobs all the time. I was just working side by side with Navy engineers back in February for about 2 weeks on a job. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

He is parroting a meme. There are a lot of memes and truisms that are repeated ad nauseam as if they are the norm rather than the exception to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lie

• Members

Yeah, didn't say they did, didn't say anything like that at all. I know a good bit about the tax system in this country and how it breaks down for you and me as compared to large corporations as well as the uber rich.

Btw, not directed at Brian but in general I have seen numerous examples of small businesses in the music world doing unprofessional stuff (same in any field I guess but we are talking about music here so), you don't have to look far to find them. Also, I have heard people say time and again this or that doesn't hurt their business but really there is no way for them to know how it has directly affected them.

I am pretty certain that none of my customers earn billions of dollars a year. I am not sure why I should keep my mouth shut in my support of working people for fear of alienating people that will never be a customer.

• Members

I really wish that the Democrats were as good at deceiving the public as the Republicans. Like, holy {censored}. Neoconservatives are basically the face of modern evil in the world, but by gosh golly they can really sell some snake oil. Haha, the GOP being the party of saving money. Right. No more funding for NPR! All $1 million of it! (Oh but by the way,
)

The GOP: Nation-building around the world! (USA not included)

+1,000,000

• Members

I am pretty certain that none of my customers earn billions of dollars a year. I am not sure why I should keep my mouth shut in my support of working people for fear of alienating people that will never be a customer.

It doesn't matter to me what you post and I am not really aiming that at you anyways but how can you say who will or will not be a customer? How do you know who reads the things you post and how it affects you? I run a fairly large business for a country boy from Alabama and I have just always found it better to keep the business seperate from the person on things like this.

• Members

I feel like this discussion is really lacking input from Devi Ever.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=485198&id=101391646577683

Since this seems to be a hot topic on a particular so-and-so effects forum, I figure I might as well spill the beans on devi ever : fx's official stance in regards to politics (see attached picture)

215791_179763825407131_101391646577683_4

You're welcome.

• Members

so no good answer eh?

I'm not saying anything about Dano that they haven't admitted to publicly.

You make pedals, well maybe 'make' is too strong of a word - and I see you trash other builders on a regular basis. So let's quit pretending you have a moral high ground to stand on, 'kay?

• Members

I'm not saying anything about Dano that they haven't admitted to publicly.

You make pedals, well maybe 'make' is too strong of a word - and I see you trash other builders on a regular basis. So let's quit pretending you have a moral high ground to stand on, 'kay?

You guys still digging your own hole? :facepalm:

• Members
You guys still digging your own hole?
:facepalm:

I gotta keep supplying Robo with fill dirt for his 'high ground' don't I?

Just curious - what do you do for a living, Fart? Can I call you Fart? I feel like I've earned by now.

Archived