Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My son plays in our Mega church P&W band. They also are on a Christian label and have chated in the top 10 on the Billboard Christian albums. My son does play through top notch gear that I bought for him. He get's paid $50 a weekend and now gets royalties on the the song he wrote for both CD's. All the musicians in the band all have music degrees and can read music. A lot of the music that the band plays in not your typical 3 chord type songs. My son could probably hang guitar wise with the top 5% of the guitarists on this board. I think it's a VERY bad stereotype to suggest that ALL P&W music is lame and boring.The question about them deserving all the top notch equipment they have is another thing. Most musicians feel honored to use their talents for the Lord,and feel that they should only use the best to honor him. That's it in a nutshell.;)

• Members

My son plays in our Mega church P&W band. They also are on a Christian label and have chated in the top 10 on the Billboard Christian albums. My son does play through top notch gear that I bought for him. He get's paid $50 a weekend and now gets royalties on the the song he wrote for both CD's. All the musicians in the band all have music degrees and can read music. A lot of the music that the band plays in not your typical 3 chord type songs. My son could probably hang guitar wise with the top 5% of the guitarists on this board. I think it's a VERY bad stereotype to suggest that ALL P&W music is lame and boring.The question about them deserving all the top notch equipment they have is another thing. Most musicians feel honored to use their talents for the Lord,and feel that they should only use the best to honor him. That's it in nutshell.
;)

• Members

so all we need is for people in the P&W world to consciously not fall into these trappings; what is the suggested method to do this if there are forums that seem to be focused on the opposite of this?

when it comes down to it, it is more of an issue about socially right and wrong as opposed to pro/con religion which is why there is never any progress.

the devbil lubz pointless conflict... dat he does.

I agree with this. To be honest, I find that in the TGP threads (assuming that it's TGP you're referring to?), there's almost as much in pointing out that 5 BJFe dirt pedals isn't necessary, that you don't need a TimeLine for dotted eighths, that there isn't a static 'Praise and Worship sound' that requires specific pedals, etc. There's so much conformity in it.

• Members

When I play at church, I use the same gear I use when I'm not playing at church. There's no distinction. If someone wants to use a ton of gear, let them. It's their money to spend how they want.

Also, I think you need to be able to cover a lot of bases with P&W music - in one song you might be doing atmospherics whilst the piano and acoustic take the lead, whilst in the next song you might have a heavier riff to play which leads the song, all of which has to be at a fairly constant (and sometimes very low) volume so as not to offend anyone - at a rock gig you can be fairly sure that most of the audience will be wanting to hear similar stuff, they're there to see the band after all.

On the other hand, in a church service, you've got to appeal to the 5 year old kids, the grumpy teens, the 20 year olds into indie, etc all the way up to the granny who's been going to that church all her life.

Yes, very true.

I mean, I definitely found it easiest to integrate in the Vineyard church I was at when I was a student (a couple of years ago), because it was, being a Vineyard church, very rock oriented with a very specific sound which everyone likes.

In some ways my playing was manifestly at its most 'individual' there, but in others, what I do at the church I'm at now is more characterful. Being a more diverse sound for a more diverse church, and being the only regular electric guitar player in a band of brass players (and others) that have a rather different conception of what the electric guitar can do, I naturally end up bringing different things, particularly when the two sets of ideas are fused. And the band really sounds stunning when we do get it right, mostly not on my account. :thu:

Archived