Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alright SAL.

Here it is for you plain and simple.

The truth is, to play almost any modern P&W song you need one drive and one delay. To get through a set of songs you might need one other drive and an analog delay set long for swells.

That's it. Anyone that says they need this drive for this tone and this delay for that dotted 8th etc etc are kidding themselves.

Simple fact is, that by the time your guitar sound makes it to the congregation no one gives a damn if you're playing through this drive or that. When you consider that your competing for sonic space with another guitarist, the cymblas, synths, an acoustic guitar and all the backing vocals (female in particular), having four flavours of dirt is utterly pointless.

I could play the entire back catalog of Hillsong's music with two drives, a 616 and a DD-5. What's that? No volume pedal!? Use your guitar's volume knob
:idea:

But that's not the point is it?

People buy gear because they can. This board is a collection of musicians talking (mainly) about effects. What's new? What's good? What suits this or that application?

I honestly can not understand why you have such a hard on for this particular subject.

Fact is, you have "redic" gear and you make music that doesn't make any sense.

Of cause, you're "out there in the real world" gigging and recording so it's all justified.

Who gives a {censored} why people use the gear they do?

Surely the more people buying/using/selling/trading gear makes this board a more interesting and useful place.

Perfectly said

• Members

Guys, gospel music, hymns, and classical masses do not count as "P&W." Yes, these are forms of religious music, but they are not even close to the same musical genre as "P&W" and you guys know it.

You can't call something a punk song just because it's confrontational in theme. It also has to actually sound like punk.

• Members

Guys, gospel music, hymns, and classical masses do not count as "P&W." Yes, these are forms of religious music, but they are not even close to the same musical genre as "P&W" and you guys know it.

You can't call something a punk song just because it's confrontational in theme. It also has to actually sound like punk.

I guess I'm confused as to what is Praise and Worship. I thought praise and worship was a loose genre of music that was played in devotion to a deity. Praise and worship that's played in mega churches in the USA seem to be rock based, and I guess thats what your referring to, but I feel like the definition of praise in worship has more to do with the message then the sound. So, I just assume that any musical devotion towards a deity is praise and worship. The raga Aristotle posted was a fine example of a devotional. So what is Praise and worship if its not about the message? Its about the tones and song structure? I mean I need definitions here. What about a nun playing Michael rowed the boat ashore. I guess Catholics do not praise and worship...:idk:

Its all very confusing. How about the metal/rap music thats about jesus? is that not praise and worship? is it just that rock/gospel mix only?

who is making these definitions anyway?

I hate that person, they are always so imprecise.

• Members

No, Catholics don't generally play Praise and Worship music as the term is used. I was raised catholic, actually. We mainly sang hymns and psalms accompanied by an organ or, on occasion, by other acoustic instruments. We had a cantor that led the songs and the songs were almost always found in the official hymnal provided the catholic church. Nobody in the congregation was encouraged to write their own music and perform it. It was just supposed to be like singing a prayer, more or less.

Now, I have been to services where there was a P&W band. It's a completely different thing than a gospel choir (where the emphasis is on a large number of singers) and it's also very very different from symphonic music/traditional hymns. It's generally performed by a band on a combination of electric and acoustic instruments with a drummer and one or more lead singers. Very simply, it's based on 20th century popular music rather than classical harmony or black spirituals.

Sure, the other music is designed for worshiping, but it's not as if Catholics who are in a church choir say they're in a P&W group. They say they're in a choir. That is a specific subset of religious music as is a P&W band.

• Members

No, Catholics don't generally play Praise and Worship music as the term is used. I was raised catholic, actually. We mainly sang hymns and psalms accompanied by an organ or, on occasion, by other acoustic instruments. We had a cantor that led the songs and the songs were almost always found in the official hymnal provided the catholic church. Nobody in the congregation was encouraged to write their own music and perform it. It was just supposed to be like singing a prayer, more or less.

Now, I have been to services where there was a P&W band. It's a completely different thing than a gospel choir (where the emphasis is on a large number of singers) and it's also very very different from symphonic music/traditional hymns. It's generally performed by a band on a combination of electric and acoustic instruments with a drummer and one or more lead singers. Very simply, it's based on 20th century popular music rather than classical harmony or black spirituals.

Sure, the other music is designed for worshiping, but it's not as if Catholics who are in a church choir say they're in a P&W group. They say they're in a choir. That is a specific subset of religious music as is a P&W band.

So, P&W is just rock music that doesn't sarcastically sing about Jesus?

• Members

+1

Catholics have traditional hymnbooks and very rarely (if at all) venture elsewhere. P&W as a genre tends to only really occur in non denominational evangelical churches IME. We buried my dad in a Catholic ceremony and we let our aunt, who's a staunch evangelical, choose the music and it was lulz to see the pastor's response to Hillsong and Chris Tomlin. Of course he actually knew who they were rather than the suggestions my uncle and I made regarding hair metal. :o

• Members

As you know I am no expert but since so many of you claim that P&W can be interesting, here is your thread to prove it. Post any and all YouTube / soundcloud / what have you clips of good or interesting P&W music.

Everything is subjective, the crowder, gungor, leeland, seay already posted is great stuff TO ME. You are already predisposed to hating the genre (2 threads in a day or 2? hmmm) so nothing posted here will be genuinely listened to with an open mind, so why {censored}ing bother? Trolls be trollin...

That said, I will post a few anyways.

http://youtu.be/OR7VOKQ0xJY

• Members

All deities aside gospel and hymn can claim to be fully legitimate styles where PnW seems to be a subset of something like adult contemporary which is an abomination. Religious music doesn't have to be bad music nor do I reject religious music due to my contrary beliefs. Classical music is loaded with religion and I listen to plenty of it.

RE rigs: gear geeks come in all flavors and {censored} if I care how folks spend money. The point is that they do spend money. We all spend money on pedals and effects. Then we come here to talk about them and sometimes I learn something new. That's why I'm here I guess plus work is boring at times.

I wrote this while bathing in my own egg farts.

• Members

All deities aside gospel and hymn can claim to be fully legitimate styles where PnW seems to be a subset of something like adult contemporary which is an abomination.

I think there's something in this, but I'm not fully sure what 'Praise and Worship' is (nor 'adult contemporary' for that matter :o). I know about plenty of popular Christian artists, obviously. I know about some of the clich

• Members

Guys, gospel music, hymns, and classical masses do not count as "P&W." Yes, these are forms of religious music, but they are not even close to the same musical genre as "P&W" and you guys know it. .

This. I love how you folks are playing coy. I could listen to Johnny Cash sing about god all {censored}ing day but that's not P&W. Im talking about the stuff that you play at your strip mall mega church with the Starbucks inside. Its {censored} ass adult contemporary {censored} like Hillsong. You don't need complex routing scenes, Morgan amps and Strymon factors for Johhny Cash.

• Members

Hillsong is 'adult contemporary'? :lol:

Of all Christian music out there, I can think of more obvious targets. Their rigs may be fairly over the top (though they are a legitimate worldwide touring act...), but so is their music. They can play really well; a lot of popular Christian artists can't play very well and don't know how to write songs.

Archived