Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alright SAL.
Here it is for you plain and simple.
The truth is, to play almost any modern P&W song you need one drive and one delay. To get through a set of songs you might need one other drive and an analog delay set long for swells.
That's it. Anyone that says they need this drive for this tone and this delay for that dotted 8th etc etc are kidding themselves.
Simple fact is, that by the time your guitar sound makes it to the congregation no one gives a damn if you're playing through this drive or that. When you consider that your competing for sonic space with another guitarist, the cymblas, synths, an acoustic guitar and all the backing vocals (female in particular), having four flavours of dirt is utterly pointless.
I could play the entire back catalog of Hillsong's music with two drives, a 616 and a DD-5. What's that? No volume pedal!? Use your guitar's volume knob :idea:

But that's not the point is it?
People buy gear because they can. This board is a collection of musicians talking (mainly) about effects. What's new? What's good? What suits this or that application?
I honestly can not understand why you have such a hard on for this particular subject.
Fact is, you have "redic" gear and you make music that doesn't make any sense.
Of cause, you're "out there in the real world" gigging and recording so it's all justified.
Who gives a {censored} why people use the gear they do?
Surely the more people buying/using/selling/trading gear makes this board a more interesting and useful place.

• Members

But as I understand it, the genre on a whole, as explained here by various players in defense of the boring style, P&W tunes are to be simple, no nonesense affairs that are used as tools to spread the "word"... If that is the case then why is it that it seems 99% of those players have 3 thousand dollar pedalboards, redic amps, and fancy time guitars, with complex routing schemes, ample presets, and all the latest in blah.ah blah?

This post seems about as much of a time waster as going to an Occupy protest.

• Members

I wish I could play the slide as well as James Duke... not that he's doing anything complicated.. he just makes it sound so darn good.

Another vote from me. I love using my slide (or trying) in a Gilmour-inspired sort of way, with a lot of delay, phaser, some OD and my volume pedal, but I can't match what he does. Really brilliant stuff. I hold good lead players of his ilk in great esteem because I so seldom see them in this style. One of the things that made me want to define my lead guitar playing in worship is just too many people either doubling the acoustic guitar and doing nothing else, or mindlessly noodling. :lol:

• Members

But that's not the point is it?

People buy gear because they can. This board is a collection of musicians talking (mainly) about effects. What's new? What's good? What suits this or that application?

I honestly can not understand why you have such a hard on for this particular subject.

Fact is, you have "redic" gear and you make music that doesn't make any sense.

Of cause, you're "out there in the real world" gigging and recording so it's all justified.

Who gives a {censored} why people use the gear they do?

Surely the more people buying/using/selling/trading gear makes this board a more interesting and useful place.

It's simple, really. First you can chastise people for not playing outside their bedroom. Then, when they do play outside their bedroom, you can complain that they don't play the right type of music.

• Members
+1

+1,000,000. He keeps it simple, yet it sounds phenomenal - easily my favorite guitarist right now. His use of delay and reverb is perfect IMO; not too much, yet he does a great job at filling out the sound and making it sound HUGE. I got to see them live in Houston here awhile back - it was Gungor, JMM (with Duke of course), and Crowder :love::love::love: (and some other schmuck I didn't care for). I'm also really like "Frodo" from Robbie Seay Band.. has a pretty huge sound as well.

• Members

not only in fund people give, but also tax exempt status where it impacts the entire community, it impacts other's ability to have a good life. that money could go to food pantries and community resources, but the bulk of it doesn't. how can it when churches can afford to build stages, buy gear, PAY musicians, and build hugh churches on the outskirts of town for everyone to drive to. That is getting way to far from the original message and suggested style, which is where people have the backlash. If anything, it gets close to the spectacle and glitz of the devil's work. So not only is church not a venue, I would say it is opposing the core value of the church and P&W is closer to doing evil than good. Combined that with where the gear money could be going to actually do good in the world, and that sums up where I can understand how it is justifiable to be bothered by the money spent on P&W rigs.

Well put.

• Members

it's impressive the lenghts people go through to try and justify how much it bothers them seeying what other people do with their money.

honestly, spend your money the way you want and let others spend theirs (which they earned, by whatever means, not you) however the {censored} they please.

why do you make an effort to try and justify some kind of hatred against people who have nice instruments that they work and pay for, and what the {censored} is it of your business or anyone's business but theirs how they spend their money? why are you putting your energy towards this? i just don't {censored}ing get it. this is not a reflection of theirs, this is a reflection of you and no-one else.

but, then again, i don't give a {censored} about almost anything, so it could be me :idk:

• Members

it's impressive the lenghts people go through to try and justify how much it bothers them seeying what other people do with their money.

honestly, spend your money the way you want and let others spend theirs (which they earned, by whatever means, not you) however the {censored} they please.

why do you make an effort to try and justify some kind of hatred against people who have nice instruments that they work and pay for, and what the {censored} is it of your business or anyone's business but theirs how they spend their money? why are you putting your energy towards this? i just don't {censored}ing get it. this is not a reflection of theirs, this is a reflection of you and no-one else.

but, then again, i don't give a {censored} about almost anything, so it could be me
:idk:

What bugs me is to see them preaching on how to be modest and humble, while playing a Dumble.

• Members

What bugs me is to see them preaching on how to be modest and humble, while playing a Dumble.

They don't preach about being modest or humble. At least back when I used to go.

For me, good music is always tortured and honest in some way. Modern P&W music feels like American Idol bull-{censored}.

• Members

What's funny is that there is always a reason to bash on other peoples with more gear, either their jobs(doctors, lawers), their believes(P&W), etc. This is never gonna end, because some guys will be jealous

all their lives...

• Members

Well they certainly can't just crank their Marshall, or probably even their Champ (/end thread?). And even if they did get that sound from pedals, it would be too intense and raw to not hide behind more effects.

not only in fund people give, but also tax exempt status where it impacts the entire community, it impacts other's ability to have a good life. that money could go to food pantries and community resources, but the bulk of it doesn't. how can it when churches can afford to build stages, buy gear, PAY musicians, and build hugh churches on the outskirts of town for everyone to drive to. That is getting way to far from the original message and suggested style, which is where people have the backlash. If anything, it gets close to the spectacle and glitz of the devil's work. So not only is church not a venue, I would say it is opposing the core value of the church and P&W is closer to doing evil than good. Combined that with where the gear money could be going to actually do good in the world, and that sums up where I can understand how it is justifiable to be bothered by the money spent on P&W rigs.

It tends to attract more people to a religious environment and keep them there. It is often part of Christianity to try to show their commitment through impressive places of worship, plus it is often considered desirable for it be impressive in a way that makes the worshippers feel smaller and overwhelmed. Yes, it's twisted, but not inconsistent.

Archived