Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would definitely say they're not the same, though to be fair I do neither. However, when you "play" or "perform" at church, you are there to support the overall service, of which you are a part of (maybe small, maybe larger). But you are definitely not the "reason" for why people attend that service.

Conversely, when you "gig" out, say a bar, or something more grand, the sole purpose is to hear music (and maybe get drunk) and you are not supporting a minister or someone else (other than another band, but it's still music).

So yeah, in my mind, two different things, though somewhat related perhaps. But not the same thing.

not to mess with SAL's charade by actually attempting to converse, but have you been to a praise and worship service? I have. It's not my thing at all, but my niece was getting baptized, so I had to go. It really wasn't much of a church service at all, mostly just a set of songs with the congregation singing along for an hour. I'd say the band was getting alot more attention for their performance than most bands I see at bars, where at least half the audience is there for drinks and looking to score. In that sense, I'd argue it is more of a gig than alot of people give it credit for. Of course, this could be different for different churches. That was the only one I've ever been to and I don't plan on checking it out any further (the whole religion + rock thing just weirds me out, but if people enjoy doing it and people enjoy watching it, then good for them).

• Members

My 2 cents, I think playing simple music can be quite complicated. Often the artist takes the song further in complexity then it has to be. It is as important to know when to stop as it is to get all the elements needed to make the song great. The public is probably not going to notice the gear or the effects used, but if the performer is happy and comfortable with their gear then that is noticed. Leonard Cohen is a great example, he has great songs with him and guitar, as soon as he added those synthesis, some of the magic of his music dissapeared for me. In short, where and what you play is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is, can you get in the zone/does it give you joy and is it not a distraction to your music.

• Members

I'm also a p&w musician, but I agree with a lot of what's been said here, and on the subject in general. I, for one, really get irritated when people ask what the best delay pedal/amp/distortion/guitar/cable is for p&w. It's not a musical genre, per se, and that kind of question makes us look like a bunch of exclusionary cultists, or TGP trolls. I play everything from gospel to pop to rock at my church, and none of it falls into a single musical style.

And in the context of p&w, I've already said that if it's within your means to play top of the line gear in church, then who really cares? You shouldn't be judged by people in church or outside of church for that. People work solid nine to fivers so they can afford high end gear they will use when playing for free. That's more of a silly personal choice than ungodly behaviour, if you ask me. I myself find it hard to justify spending that kind of dime on stuff that won't help me make money. Right now, I'm blessed enough to play at a church that pays its musicians, so I've been able to upgrade my rig as a result.

It's my belief that anything I do should be done to the best of my ability. If I'm playing as a part of my ministry, then even more so. I don't spend extravagant sums of money on gear, but I do buy what I find necessary to create the sounds in my head. I try to do the most I can with what I have, and there's a point of diminishing returns where I say enough is enough. Of course any extra cash I have to spend goes toward my rig, but I could easily do with less equipment, and I have in the past. I don't indulge every urge that tells me to buy another pedal, or get another violin, because I know I don't really need it right now. Christians should be realistic about this kind of thing, not try and say God told them to buy a new amp or guitar. We are just like any other musicians. We either want and can afford to buy something, or not. Anyone who thinks there's something else going on hasn't really been around the p&w scene, or is kidding themselves.

• Members

the whole religion + rock thing just weirds me out

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't care what people spend their money on, or what they do on Sundays, but this whole Christian Rock thing is just plain bizarre.

In the immortal words of Hank Hill, "You're not making Christianity better - you're making rock and roll worse."

• Members

Playing guitar in church is helping them with the giant con- a big fairy tale used to take money from the naive and gullible.

... and this is relevant to the discussion how? Not that I should aid your trollish behavior... but im not sure you've ever been to a church if you think they "take money".

• Members

... and this is relevant to the discussion how? Not that I should aid your trollish behavior... but im not sure you've ever been to a church if you think they "take money".

Whenever the gord scam is mentioned I like to point out the massive fraud and pedophilia that it perpetrates. If you are playing guitar to lull the masses into believing the gord lie, you are as guilty as they are. gord is make believe.

• Members

I don't understand the generalizations being made in this thread.

Sure I don't find the music interesting, yet I understand that even more people find the music I choose to play not interesting too..

I like to play nice gear, i'm sure it's not all P&W guys that can afford expensive stuff.

• Members

In my experience, many (but certainly not all) worship band players are older guys who used to gig but got married, had kids, and now hold down real jobs and have responsibilities and stuff. They aren't in a position to go play bars 'till 3am anymore, so they've settled into church bands. The added bonus to this is that they can justify spending money on their hobby to their wives by telling them "but honey, it's for church!"

This is also why so much p&w sounds like the '80s, because that's when a lot of these guys came up.

Archived