Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you guys consider playing at church the same as "gigging"?

I would definitely say they're not the same, though to be fair I do neither. However, when you "play" or "perform" at church, you are there to support the overall service, of which you are a part of (maybe small, maybe larger). But you are definitely not the "reason" for why people attend that service.

Conversely, when you "gig" out, say a bar, or something more grand, the sole purpose is to hear music (and maybe get drunk) and you are not supporting a minister or someone else (other than another band, but it's still music).

So yeah, in my mind, two different things, though somewhat related perhaps. But not the same thing.

• Members

Now, I'm not into religion in the slightest but occasionally my mom or someone else will ask me to go to church with them and I'll go to be polite and it seems to me people generally tend to dress up to go to church. I would guess it's sort of the same principal. You don't want your guitar to sound junky in church. You want it to sound nice cause it's kind of like being dressed up.

• Members

I'm more confused by why some musicians are hung up on what other musicians spend...

This.

I've never understood SAL's anger towards the P&W genre, or towards any guitar player's gear choices for that matter.

But if I must...

I cover 3 parts a lot of times in the music we play on Sundays. If you've ever listened to Hillsong United...wait... of course you haven't... how silly of me :rolleyes:. Anyway... most Hillsong tunes often have at least 3 guitar parts, along with a couple keyboard or synth parts as well. Since we don't have a keyboard player, I'm often covering the pads/synths/etc as well as the lead lines. Having a ridiculous amount of overkill (Pitchfactor, Space, Timeline, Quasar DLX) truly does make it a lot easier for me. All the texturing, shimmer, volume swells, and other spacey sounding effects really is an integral part of the P&W sound.

And like Crxsh said, for every Paul Baloche song, there's a whole lot more interesting and dynamically complex songs out there.

Another valid argument for the simplicity of the music is that it is mostly all P&W songs are based around vocals. Therefore, the more complex the instrumentation, the more it could detract from the vocals/lyrics. That's not always the case, but that's definitely a reason for a lot of the simplicity, or boredom as you prefer.

As for my amps and guitars, you (SAL) of all people know the value in playing quality gear. I got the amp because it just sounds better and suits me more than any other amp I've played or owned... same for the guitars. The better the guitar player gets over the years, the more he learns about quality gear... regardless of genre.

• Members

This.

I've never understood SAL's anger towards the P&W genre, or towards any guitar player's gear choices for that matter.

It does not make sense to me that someone with 9000 posts on a gear forum has such an issue with people buying, testing, or using gear. If some church player wants to rock a boutique board all the power to him.

In that "Should we lift SAL's ban?" poll a few months back I voted not to lift his ban exactly for dumb-assed threads like this one.

Archived