Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked a gear related question on a gear related forum. I broke zero rules. Worst case scenario is I called a music genre boring. Hardly a ban worthy offense.

I'm cool with that - it's more a question of where some of the other people want to take the thread that I am taking issue with.

Stick to the gear discussion and skip the religious discussions please guys, or I'll close the thread.

Thanks. :wave:

• Members

I asked a gear related question on a gear related forum. I broke zero rules. Worst case scenario is I called a music genre boring. Hardly a ban worthy offense.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying "you should be banned", I'm asking you, "Why do you never shut the {censored} up about church"

• Members

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying "you should be banned", I'm asking you, "Why do you never shut the {censored} up about church"

I didn't say anything about church. I am discussing a genre of music. Sure sometimes the "venue" is a church but I am not discussing venues. I am however discussing the seemingly unnessicary and showy, over the top, redic pedalboards and routing schemes, hundreds of presets, midi switchers, custom amps / guitars for a genre that as described by many of its own players as simple and serving to a message rather then flashy playing.

• Members

As much as i find playing music to a bronze age myth as baffling as any other religion's weird and sometimes disturbing rituals, if someone wants to spend lots of money on their gear and enjoy using it (for whatever purpose) then that's fine.

I have some stupidly expensive little metal boxes, so why shouldn't anyone else.

• Members

I didn't say anything about church. I am discussing a genre of music. Sure sometimes the "venue" is a church but I am not discussing venues. I am however discussing the seemingly unnessicary and showy, o
ver the top, redic pedalboards and routing schemes, hundreds of presets, midi switchers, custom amps / guitars for a genre that as described by many of its own players as simple and serving to a message rather then flashy playing.

I just don't see how you couldn't say the same thing about shoegaze; technically simple but the gear is often the kind of thing you describe. Let's be honest; it mostly comes down to these being players who play live every week and have considerable disposable income due to being real adults and not students. That's a recipe for justifying and being able to afford expensive gear. I really don't think it's the special case you're making it out to be. I mean, blues is a very simple kind of music that "shouldn't" require expensive gear, but because people that play blues these days are often adults with considerable disposable income you see

• Members

I didn't say anything about
church
. I am discussing a genre of music. Sure sometimes the "venue" is a
church
but I am not discussing venues. I am however discussing the seemingly unnessicary and showy, over the top, redic pedalboards and routing schemes, hundreds of presets, midi switchers, custom amps / guitars for a genre that as described by many of its own players as simple and
serving to a message
rather then flashy playing.

You said it again...

• Members
I just don't see how you couldn't say the same thing about shoegaze; technically simple but the gear is often the kind of thing you describe. Let's be honest; it mostly comes down to these being players who play live every week and have considerable disposable income due to being real adults and not students. That's a recipe for justifying and being able to afford expensive gear. I really don't think it's the special case you're making it out to be. I mean, blues is a very simple kind of music that "shouldn't" require expensive gear, but because people that play blues these days are often adults with considerable disposable income you see

• Members

let he who is without ever owning unnecessary musical accoutrements cast the first criticism

LMAO. The only thing I have to add as a bassist is that one time I got asked to come sit in for a worship service at a local church and the guy wanted to play a tune named 'Sing Out' by Ron Kenoly and gave me a VHS tape to cop the part off, and when I turned it on to watch it the bass player was Abraham Laboriel and they had Alex Acuna on percussion too. I was like 'fuuuuuuuck,' but it turned out to be a pretty easy but fun chart that was really well composed.

EDIT: I played a 7-string bass through a Glockenklang 1000w head with full rack of studio dynamics and effects processors...just kidding I used a P-Bass direct to the board and a Hartke Kickback 12 as a monitor.

• Members

It's no surprise that there are wide, sweeping generalizations being made here.:facepalm:

Regardless of what style music we all play, if you're spending money on gear that you can't afford and causing you to fall short in other areas of responsibility then you need to rethink your priorities.

It seems like some people feel Christians/P&W players should all live in poverty and play whatever First Act gear we could scrape our pennies together to buy.

• Members

It seems like some people feel Christians/P&W players should all live in poverty and play whatever First Act gear we could scrape our pennies together to buy.

To be fair, that's pretty much what it says in your instruction manual. :lol:

• Members

But as I understand it, the genre on a whole, as explained here by various players in defense of the boring style, P&W tunes are to be simple, no nonesense affairs that are used as tools to spread the "word"... If that is the case then why is it that it seems 99% of those players have 3 thousand dollar pedalboards, redic amps, and fancy time guitars, with complex routing schemes, ample presets, and all the latest in blah.ah blah?

I see a lot of church people coming in to the shop I frequent. They have church accounts, tax exempt. They buy the best.

Do most of these rigs belong to the church?

Archived