Now I Am No Expert... (Praise and Worship content)

six acre lake

• Members
So, these are from the other forum, on the p&w rig photo thread.. Not humble rigs precisely. I'm not sure what do they play but, do they reaaaally need all that for a 12 bars bluesy song?

6649584847_42e5e1e09d_b.jpg

CIMG1222-1.jpg

77b8853c.jpg

Ummm...{censored} yes! Nice rig and I don't really give a {censored} what kind of music the owner plays. The one time a year my wife drags me to church the only thing that I am interested is the guitarist's setup. All the rest that is said gets tuned out.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

word. I play in church every weekend, and it's like anything else... the music is only as creative as the artist. I have a ton of fun rocking out every Sunday morning and what our band does is not boring or lame.

each church is different - like every Christian... and every band and every musician... some suck ass, some are awesome. YMMV

Exactly. The music at my church does not resemble the frankly hilarious stereotypes that are peddled around here, and I don't play like any of the TGP'd "Should I buy a TimeLine or a TimeFactor for my dotted eighths that I use in exactly the same way in EVERY SINGLE SONG" types. It does however make me cringe mightily what people around here think they know about Christianity and things associated with it.

Also, if you think that "Praise and Worship" music is designed to "spread the word", then "no expert" is rather too flattering!

But I find it funny that no-one else really seems to be criticised for having too much gear for what they play.

• Members

I'm also a p&w musician, but I agree with a lot of what's been said here, and on the subject in general. I, for one, really get irritated when people ask what the best delay pedal/amp/distortion/guitar/cable is for p&w. It's not a musical genre, per se, and that kind of question makes us look like a bunch of exclusionary cultists, or TGP trolls. I play everything from gospel to pop to rock at my church, and none of it falls into a single musical style.

Exactly this.

But to be honest, whilst I'm sceptical of people with ultra-expensive guitar rigs (It's great if you really can afford that stuff and still give generously and provide for yourself and dependents), Christians are no worse than anyone else. You may be able to afford a 50k amp and multiple custom shop Fenders, but that doesn't make the purchase truly justifiable.

• Members

I, for one, think pedalboard threads would be a lesser affair without all the P&W boards.

Also it's hard to believe that anyone who was in possession of sufficient fat stacks wouldn't indulge their hobby.

This, Jesus. This thread cannot be serious

• Members

A very select minority of church musicians get paid.

And that does not include organists or other musicians that play at weddings and funerals; at least over here it's the prerogative of the musician to charge, and/or whoever it is that's getting married/buried to pay. I once received a

• Members

Seriously though, do y'all get paid for this? I'd 110% do this I got some cash out of it

Drummers can get paid for p&w stuff, but guitarists are a dime a dozen. I know a guy who makes very good money as a fill-in drummer for local churches, he plays somewhere at least once every Sunday. He never rehearses- just shows up, plays & leaves. He's very good, but the music is really easy.

• Members

They have church accounts, tax exempt. They buy the best.

Do most of these rigs belong to the church?

I think that's the contention right? you have a religion based off of simple lessons "be nice to others, try and lead a good life that doesn't stop others from having a good life" that when you add money [the fuel of all evil?] not only in fund people give, but also tax exempt status where it impacts the entire community, it impacts other's ability to have a good life. that money could go to food pantries and community resources, but the bulk of it doesn't. how can it when churches can afford to build stages, buy gear, PAY musicians, and build hugh churches on the outskirts of town for everyone to drive to. That is getting way to far from the original message and suggested style, which is where people have the backlash. If anything, it gets close to the spectacle and glitz of the devil's work. So not only is church not a venue, I would say it is opposing the core value of the church and P&W is closer to doing evil than good. Combined that with where the gear money could be going to actually do good in the world, and that sums up where I can understand how it is justifiable to be bothered by the money spent on P&W rigs.

• Members

not only in fund people give, but also tax exempt status where it impacts the entire community, it impacts other's ability to have a good life. that money could go to food pantries and community resources, but the bulk of it doesn't. how can it when churches can afford to build stages, buy gear, PAY musicians, and build hugh churches on the outskirts of town for everyone to drive to. That is getting way to far from the original message and suggested style, which is where people have the backlash. If anything, it gets close to the spectacle and glitz of the devil's work. So not only is church not a venue, I would say it is opposing the core value of the church and P&W is closer to doing evil than good. Combined that with where the gear money could be going to actually do good in the world, and that sums up where I can understand how it is justifiable to be bothered by the money spent on P&W rigs.

As much as I can agree with the sentiment, it's not exactly the norm, is it? And for all of the trappings, said churches do very often give enormous amounts to outreach of various kinds. When you have thousands coming to your church that all give very generously, it's not difficult.

• Members

churches do very often give enormous amounts to outreach of various kinds. When you have thousands coming to your church that all give very generously, it's not difficult.

but when you see tax exempt purchases and money going towards the bands, stages, etc... that's money that should have going to socially conscious causes. So that is what I can understand why there is the backlash against money spent.

• Members

but when you see tax exempt purchases and money going towards the bands, stages, etc... that's money that should have going to socially conscious causes.

Just so. It would be nice if everybody thought like this, to be honest; in general churches are fairly mild offenders in comparison to others, not that that vindicates them.

• Members

I'm interested to hear if people in the US are using church gear or buying their own stuff. Not trying to piss in anybody's beer.

In my church, aside from the drum kit, we buy our own gear. And for what it's worth, we don't pay musicians to play. I think that's far more common than beng paid to play. Even the widely popular Hillsong musicians aren't paid (except for a couple who may be on staff) nor do they receive any compensation for their recordings.

• Members

In my church, aside from the drum kit, we buy our own gear. And for what it's worth, we don't pay musicians to play. I think that's far more common than beng paid to play. Even the widely popular Hillsong musicians aren't paid nor do they receive any compensation for their recordings.

I see. I think the buyers I see have their own nonaffiliated churches. Can't swing a cat some places in the south without hitting a "Christian Church of the REAL Word". :idk:

• Members

Just so. It would be nice if everybody thought like this, to be honest; in general churches are fairly mild offenders in comparison to others, not that that vindicates them.

so all we need is for people in the P&W world to consciously not fall into these trappings; what is the suggested method to do this if there are forums that seem to be focused on the opposite of this?

when it comes down to it, it is more of an issue about socially right and wrong as opposed to pro/con religion which is why there is never any progress.

the devbil lubz pointless conflict... dat he does.

• Members

In my church, aside from the drum kit, we buy our own gear. And for what it's worth, we don't pay musicians to play. I think that's far more common than beng paid to play. Even the widely popular Hillsong musicians aren't paid (except for a couple who may be on staff) nor do they receive any compensation for their recordings.

Same here.

We all buy our own gear, and by and large, we don't pay our musicians... I mean, we cover their expenses (gas and food if necessary)... And I get to play with some top shelf musicians sometimes (Isaias Gil, look him up).

I'm on staff at our church, and have been a paid musician before at other churches, but I've never asked for any compensation; I sometimes just get a check in the mail unexpectedly.

Believe it or not, there are some very high quality musicians that play at churches that could play anywhere they wanted... But they do it because they're involved in something they believe in. Just some awesome people with good hearts that want to serve.

• Members

When I play at church, I use the same gear I use when I'm not playing at church. There's no distinction. If someone wants to use a ton of gear, let them. It's their money to spend how they want.

Also, I think you need to be able to cover a lot of bases with P&W music - in one song you might be doing atmospherics whilst the piano and acoustic take the lead, whilst in the next song you might have a heavier riff to play which leads the song, all of which has to be at a fairly constant (and sometimes very low) volume so as not to offend anyone - at a rock gig you can be fairly sure that most of the audience will be wanting to hear similar stuff, they're there to see the band after all.
On the other hand, in a church service, you've got to appeal to the 5 year old kids, the grumpy teens, the 20 year olds into indie, etc all the way up to the granny who's been going to that church all her life.

Regarding churches buying music gear, I don't want to make any judgement on how a church spends it's money without seeing detailed accounts - the money spent on gear could be a fraction of what they receive in donations each year and they could be doing a whole host of other charitable things with the rest of the money that aren't seen by the public, after all, if you're shouting about it, then you're doing it wrong.

Archived