What is getting in the way of you and music?

Ryan.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Work, definitively.

my 3 month old daughter for one... before she came I spent 1-2 hours a day on guitar. now, I'm lucky if its 20 minutes a week....

but she's worth it
:D

:D I bring my 1 year old to the music room with me, she's learning to tweak pedal knobs while I play.

• Members

Luckily for me, I am studying a Bachelor of Music at Uni, I work as a guitar teacher, and I play in 3 bands that gig regularly + getting gigs with bands filling in for $$.......

So I spose the only thing that gets in the way of 'my' music making is having to play other peoples music :lol:

• Members

Luckily for me, I am studying a Bachelor of Music at Uni, I work as a guitar teacher, and I play in 3 bands that gig regularly + getting gigs with bands filling in for $$.......

So I spose the only thing that gets in the way of 'my' music making is having to play other peoples music
:lol:

{censored} you.

• Members

Only kidding, of course. :thu:

Enjoy it, it the year where I was doing just that was the best year of my life. Situations change, and priorities change and things put me in a different place - but I'm still grateful for every bit of music that is in my life.

• Members

Dunno. Did it for ten years, never got out of Michigan. I've gotten to the point where it feels like a chore to play music in front of other people, and I'm sick of chasing something that never pays off. I'm just about done with music at this point in my life.

• Members
For me it is:

1) Bouldering ({censored} is tearing up my hands)

2) Backpacking

3) Photography

I used to come home everyday and at least dick around on my acoustic for a bit. Now I can barely manage that. Still make it to band practice once a week, but that isn't enough.

It kinda saddens me, but at the same time I'm doing other new stuff that I enjoy so I guess I don't miss it all that much.

So, is {censored} getting in your way? Or are you playing as much or more than ever?

1. Kids, I don't mind she's starting to get interested in the guitar and she is willing to learn .... until then we play hide and seek and watch Sponge Bob Square Pants.:)
2. Work
3. Lack of a practice place. :cry::cry:
4. Most musicians in the Metal, Hard Rock scene in my town are clique ish, have more egos than talent.:mad:
5.Most Metal musicians in my town are Meth Monsters .... if you do a cover of GnR's " Patients" .... you better wear goggles becuase the teeth wil start flying when the singer whistle the intro !!!! :facepalm::facepalm:
6. Most guys of 80's musicianship caliber, have quit or too busy with life in general, :confused::confused::confused:

• Members

Kids mostly- 20 months and 5 months. They need a lot of attention when they're awake and don't take kindly to loud electric guitar when they're asleep. The older one loves my guitars, so if I try to play it while he's around he wants to thrash the strings and will drag my picking hand away from the guitar if I try to play it properly. Strumming is *his* job.

Quality time with Mrs_bob generally has to wait til the kids are in bed too, as do various household jobs, so my evenings are pretty packed a lot of the time so guitar playing gets pushed further down the list.

Other than that, it's motivation- I'm not in a band and I'm no good at songwriting on my own.

Archived