What is getting in the way of you and music?

Ryan.

• Members

Dunno. Did it for ten years, never got out of Michigan. I've gotten to the point where it feels like a chore to play music in front of other people, and I'm sick of chasing something that never pays off. I'm just about done with music at this point in my life.

Paying off? Sounds like you were playing music for reasons other than enjoying playing music.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Paying off? Sounds like you were playing music for reasons other than enjoying playing music.

oh {censored} the amount of times I've tried to understand this point of view.

Imagine, if you will, someone who enjoys playing music.

They also enjoy living a life that isn't a constant struggle to make ends meet.

They don't enjoy doing a bunch of heavy lifting loading gear in and out of clubs while being paid a pittance if anything.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

• Members

They don't enjoy doing a bunch of heavy lifting loading gear in and out of clubs while being paid a pittance if anything.

If you truly love playing music stuff like this isn't gonna put you off playing it. At least not in my experience. I have a regular job too though. I understand if you're trying to make it your sole means of income, most the musicians I know have a regular/flexible job that gives them a dependable income and gigs/tours using holiday time and in evenings/weekends etc.

• Members

On Topic Thread is On Topic.

1) Work

2) I'm a full time college student on top of #1

3) My commute

4) Lack of discipline. I could make the time, but I don't. If I did, I'm sure I would feel better about myself, but I usually use that time for the rare social interaction.

• Members
GuarneriViola.jpg

Viola playing rather than violin playing by the way, although I do dabble in the latter. I concentrate a whole lot more on this nowadays because it's so satisfying, plus orchestral playing is lots of fun.

Wanting to get back into guitar (and effects) properly though, especially now that playing it tuned from the bottom in fifths (almost - C G D A E G) on the guitar seems to be very interesting, creatively.

I am a Masters student in Music at uni and do work 20 hrs per week but enjoy how much I can do, music-wise.

• Members

If you truly love playing music stuff like this isn't gonna put you off playing it. At least not in my experience. I have a regular job too though. I understand if you're trying to make it your sole means of income, most the musicians I know have a regular/flexible job that gives them a dependable income and gigs/tours using holiday time and in evenings/weekends etc.

pfft. It just reeks of "I love music more than you". Which may or may not be true. But in some ways I'd say the ones that realise they're just selling beer and making all their friends give money to pubs and clubs to keep them in business while simultaneously being shat on by same pubs and clubs and doing most of the work are just more clever than the ones who carry on for the love of it. That's what a lot of gigging at the level of most people here boils down to.

I'm the dumbest of them all because I realise that and still do it.:lol: But if it ever does get tiresome and I stop it won't mean I love music any less.

• Members

• Members

1) work

2) work-related building project

3) tight monies

4) sheep farm...56 mouths to feed AM and PM

5) Jan's back has been fooked for 18 months; 10 lifting limit = she can't care for the animals = I do all the feedings, etc.

6) forum activities.

• Members

Aside from work, study and a relationship, my throat has been wrecked for the last 2 months. I don't know what it is, but i lose my voice really easily and it always feels raw. Tried every sore throat remedy I can think but to no avail. I'm not a great singer anyway, but I'm kinda worried about infecting other musos.

oh, and hcfx of course.

• Members

Aside from work, study and a relationship, my throat has been wrecked for the last 2 months. I don't know what it is, but i lose my voice really easily and it always feels raw. Tried every sore throat remedy I can think but to no avail. I'm not a great singer anyway, but I'm kinda worried about infecting other musos.

Have you seen a doctor? A sore throat that takes that long to heal *can* be a sign of cancer. Amongst a great many other things you'd rather have, no doubt...

• Members

Mostly work and my schedule. Working graveyards it's hard to be awake when it's a decent time to play. The people who live in the duplex downstairs sleep different hours from me, so it's almost impossible for me to find a time to crank the amps up. Because of this I've been playing a ton of acoustic the last few years, but even then maybe only once a month.

Hiking/backpacking/photography. I spend almost all my days off in the mountains. I've been meaning to bring a cheap acoustic with me when I'm out there, but it never happens.

• Members

Have you seen a doctor? A sore throat that takes that long to heal *can* be a sign of cancer. Amongst a great many other things you'd rather have, no doubt...

I haven't yet. My GF saw a doc today (she has had the same thing for around the same amount of time) and they think it could be glandular fever, we're waiting for test results. I should probably go too.

• Members
I'm tired of not getting paid, I'm tired of paying to play, dropping tons of money on gas, gear upkeep, etc; I'm tired of musicians, potheads that hang around musicians, stupid 4th generation grunge bands and semi-literate metalheads that a cro-magnon would be embarrassed to be seen in public with, tired of stupid drunk girls, tired of that fat old guy who wants to tell me about all the bands he roadied for/met at a bar/bought drugs for; tired of playing the same clubs/bars/stages/et al, and having nothing to show for it except tinnitus and general disenchantment with music. I don't listen to anything anymore, I don't go to shows, and I don't really play on my own unless I've got nothing else to do. It just doesn't seem important anymore. I've got plenty of other interests upon which I'd rather spend time, money, effort and energy.

I enjoyed creating and playing music for years. Now I don't enjoy it anymore.
:idk:
Maybe I will again someday.

It's cool, though. Keep throwing around rote judgements of people you don't really know.

Also, this:

Maaaaaan, I'm in your boat.

• Members

I'm in the same boat with CicadaSilence, holding the same paddle

I toured for 5 years, and eventually it does grow wearisome. Pouring money into the whole thing, when your bandmates can't/won't. I got tired of a lot of the bands we got stuck playing with. At least in the heavier music scenes, it seems like all the good/creative/engaging bands died off and got replaced by horrible breakdown laden crabcore. And for some reason, this is what a lot of the show going kids wanted to see. They don't listen to/ support the creative bands who can flat play. They'd rather hear 9 guage strings tuned to C and riffs that look like 0----0-0-0----0---0---000- on tab (6th string only)

Eventually, you get to a point that even if you absolutely love it for the creative pursuit, you have to make money to move forward. I got sick of going on tours where the crowds could be 500, 200, 400, 12, 200, 5, and 3. I got sick of being ripped off by promoters who can't stick to a contract, but you don't have more than $40 in the band account and you need to drive 7 hours, so you can't really fight it.

I left my band in November (that I started) and have gone through a bit of a musical cleansing. I sold off some gear, focused more on my marriage and got a job as a worship leader at a church plant and got a house. Eventually, the bassist in my old band caved and quit last month. Now we are writing and recording completely different music, hoping that if we play live again, it will be outside of the dying "heavy" music scene

Archived