The Dark Knight Rises... I. AM. EXCITE.

• Members

I rate movies by how much they impacted me as well as how excellently they were constructed. I see a film as a way to make me feel something and a way in which to impact soceity. And it's kinda funny, really, that your criticizing another man's opinion on all this by .5 of a mark. That's kinda sad don't you think?

People like you annoy me, actually. The character of Doc from Back to the Future wasn't considered a classic when the film came out, but it is now. Is it a role that someone like Morgan Freeman would play? Probably not. Does that make it any less important or worthwhile? No. Was playing the Terminator as poignant or poetic as Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood? No, but it was still relevant and very inspiring to a lot of different people.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which scene are you talking about? I don't know, I thought there were multiple instances of obvious parallel to OWS themes

The one where they went to the stock market :lol: the cop says something like, its not my money or some stuff.

I mean it all seemed to me to be a failed state rather then the OWS movement. It was pretty silly when catwomans girlfriend was like this house belongs to the people now. Oh yeah, cause a guy who just armed a bunch of criminals, blew up most of the city and is now holding it hostage with a nuclear bomb, is really who we should look for for guidance. To me, it seemed like it was alluding to Som

• Members

-The final fight between Batman and Bain was odd. Why does Batman now have the upper hand? I didn't get the cause/effect of that

Have you not watch Hulk Hogan wrestle? Its the old, oh no the hero is going to loose. Whats this? Oh man he's getting back up, oh now he's ten times stronger. He's got the eye of the tiger,Face to face, out in the heat, Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry, They stack the odds, Still we take to the street, For the kill with the skill to survive.

• Members

I thought it was pretty meh

The storyline of super-hero with self-pity feelings followed by omg-im-awesome-after-all gets old. I agree with the wrestling metaphor...its as cheesy as that. The fighting scenes were pretty lame, the movie felt rushed and the final twists weren't that surprising. Just my 2cents

• Members

Yeah, it wasn't a perfect metaphor... But then I thought the plot was messy in general anyway. I'm in the theater, ready to watch it again in a few minutes. Maybe my opinion will change.

Well, you have to remember the film was written several months before the OWS movement, so it's not an intentional take on that. Just nice timing.

• Members

Still can't out-Joker Mark Hamill, though.

Hell yeah, Hamill does an amazing Joker in the cartoon and the games.

As far as my thoughts on the flick. I really liked Bane in this one - glad to see they actually made him an intelligent villain in this one. Stayed reasonably true to Nolan's vision and the comics. Glad that he is stopping with the trilogy, and I hope that these movies set the bar for future superhero flicks.

• Members

Great, great film. Bale, my god, once again nailed it. So glad he had a lot of meat to chew on this go round. Howard Hughes Bruce was pretty creepy. Especially when he was standing on the balcony of Wayne Manor overlooking the memorial for Harvey Dent. Very, very ominous atmosphere there. First time he shows up as Batman, what a boss. He totally had that hardened, seasoned edge to Batman throughout the film.

Tom Hardy as Bane was what I've wanted since 1993, when I had the Knightfall pogs, and was pretty freaked out at Batman being just destroyed like that by Bane. Their first encounter is damn well iconic. The physicality they both had was awesome. The way Batman was backing Bane up and throwing those close quarters punches, with all the grunting and battle cries, only for Bane to do that spin move and totally rock Batman. Wow, and the back breaking, oh man, just awesome. Anyone still dissing Chris for hand to hand combat can kiss my ass. He delivered the goods on all the hand to hand combat in this one. But yeah, Bane was one bad mofo, intelligent, captivating, scary and downright evil with his revolutionary BS.

Anne Hathaway was the female lead that this franchise needed, but we as fans who criticized her did not deserve. I was on board with her since her casting, but she was even better than I had anticipated. Her chemistry with Bale was fantastic. Seeing them strutting down the snow-laced streets of Gotham to the Bat-pod, what a comic moment there.

JGL, love that guy, but I felt he would stick out too much in this film. Nah, I was wrong about that. He was great, dude has some serious acting chops. And he was Robin after all, very nice touch Chris.

There's lots more I want to say about the film, but I really gotta see this again. So much depth and epic moments. Watching it in Imax totally kicked my ass.

But with that being said, I had a few qualms with TDKR. Firstly, Nolan's whole "{censored} you" to the audience with the new Bane dub in the prologue was admirable, but he nearly destroyed that scene with it. Still enjoyed the hell out of it, but totally wish Bane had his voice like the rest of the film in it.

Biggest complaint was that some of the scenes felt cut down. Bruce meeting Gordon in the hospital was suppose to be one of the most emotional scenes in the film, but it was less than 15 seconds. Foley not being run over by the tumbler like in the set pics was for sure the worst cut job in the film. When Talia says run them over, all of them, and they pan back to Foley and he's on the ground dead, because he was "shot", was really jarring.

Talia's whole reveal was nice, I really thought it was Bane who climbed out, not Talia. So Nolan got me again. But I felt Miranda/Talia in it was a little off.

I found myself second guessing the movie because I have followed the filming since they first started last May. So I had my own ideas of how particular scenes would flow in my head, and that kind of cost me my "virgin" experience seeing it for the first time.

Over all, I'm giving it a 8.5/9 out of 10. I believe it will be a solid 9 once I see it again. There was just too much greatness in the film, over a few gripes, that I can honestly say Nolan has broken the third movie curse.

• Members

^ pretty much my only complaint was Bruce not being able to figure out who Miranda was after they slept together and he noticed the League of Shadows mark on her back. WTF??? YOU EVEN NOTICED THE MARK! :rolleyes:... And to add insult to injury, she even said, "Do what's necessary" at one point... How the CRAP could he not connect the dots there? I mean... He heard Raz Ah Ghul say that probably half a dozen times in Batman Begins... That doesn't make any sense to me... :idk:

• Members

Biggest complaint was that some of the scenes felt cut down.

Exactly. It felt like there were two movies in here that were squashed down to one. Scenes and characters didn't get enough time to develop and really stick in the mind of the audience. It sounds strange to say that a 160 movie wasn't long enough but this one really wasn't. Not nearly enough Gordon in it for me and he was grossly underused. Really the movies are about him and Wayne. There was a small piece in TDKR about Gordon's wife going to Cleveland and taking the kids. This should have been expanded upon as Gordon's loss is as big as Wayne's loss of his parents and Rachel.

• Members

Oh yeah, a couple other trilogies:

Godfather: 10
Godfather II: 9
Godfather III: 7

Matrix: 7.5
Matrix II: 3
Matrix III: 4

Terminator: 7.5
Terminator II: 9
Terminator III: 6

Star Wars I: -9
Star Wars II: -9
Star Wars III: -7

Back to the Future: 8
Back to the Future II: 7
Back to the Future III: 7

X-Men: 6.5
X-Men II: 6.5
X-Men II: -6.5

Mad Max: 8
Road Warrior: 6
Thunderdome: 4

Die Hard: 9
Die Hard II: 7
Die Hard 3: 7.5

Night of the Living Dead: 8
Dawn of the Dead: 9
Day of the Dead: 7

Lord of the Rings: 8
Two Towers: 8
Return of the King: 8

Jurassic Park: 8
Lost World: 6
Jurassic Park III: 4

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul: 8
This Night I'll Posses Your Corpse: 7
Awakening of the Beast: 7

And before someone is like omg godfather II the same as terminator II???? v pls, etc. I'm judging these based on what they set out to do and those moves set out to do totally different things. Terminator 2 is about a 9 for an action movie and Godfather II is about a 9 imo for a crime drama.

• Members

^ pretty much my only complaint was Bruce not being able to figure out who Miranda was after they slept together and he noticed the League of Shadows mark on her back. WTF??? YOU EVEN NOTICED THE MARK!
:rolleyes:

Eesh. I didn't notice that.

• Members

Oh yeah, a couple other trilogies:

Godfather: 10

Godfather II: 9

Godfather III: 7

Matrix: 7.5

Matrix II: 3

Matrix III: 4

Terminator: 7.5

Terminator II: 9

Terminator III: 6

Star Wars I: -9

Star Wars II: -9

Star Wars III: -7

Back to the Future: 8

Back to the Future II: 7

Back to the Future III: 7

X-Men: 6.5

X-Men II: 6.5

X-Men II: -6.5

Mad Max: 8

Road Warrior: 6

Thunderdome: 4

Die Hard: 9

Die Hard II: 7

Die Hard 3: 7.5

Night of the Living Dead: 8

Dawn of the Dead: 9

Day of the Dead: 7

Lord of the Rings: 8

Two Towers: 8

Return of the King: 8

Jurassic Park: 8

Lost World: 6

Jurassic Park III: 4

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul: 8

This Night I'll Posses Your Corpse: 7

Awakening of the Beast: 7

And before someone is like omg godfather II the same as terminator II???? v pls, etc. I'm judging these based on what they set out to do and those moves set out to do totally different things. Terminator 2 is about a 9 for an action movie and Godfather II is about a 9 imo for a crime drama.

You also judge a movie within each trilogy, so Die Hard might not be better than The Fellowship of the Ring.

• Members

my biggest problem with these movies is that batman isn't batman. he did pretty much no detective work at all. he gives up repeatedly. the entire series was more like Year One spread over what, ten years? the character never gets out of the "begins" phase. He's supposed to be super smart (and he can apparently program an autopilot system that his engineers couldn't do?) and the world's greatest detective but is more about rushing in, punching and blowing {censored} up. batman doesn't kill either.

Batman doesn't quit, and doesn't retire. he's insane, really, and will only stop when he dies (and not a fake death). this version also doesn't seem to have a problem with guns.

Nolan-verse batman isn't the (idea of) batman I grew up with and love, this is some elseworld type stuff where batman never really grows into his full potential and is a quitter.

• Members

I wondered about the ending in that French cafe and whether Bruce was retiring as Batman. I think Bruce wasn't actually hanging up his hat, but wanted to make Alfred's wish for him come true - to settle down with a woman and find peace - or at least lead him to believe it came true.

And it wasn't that the engineers COULDN'T fix the autopilot system, it was that there were more pressing concerns within the company than low priority repairs on a piece of kit that was "off the books".

Now that you mention it though, a little more of a glimpse in Batman's detective work would have been cool. There was certainly some, but yeah, that was a big part of why I loved Batman growing up too.

Archived