The Dark Knight Rises... I. AM. EXCITE.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Dark Knight was... like... the perfect movie (imo).

This is why I find it hard to get into these. All the fanboys act like it's Citizen Kane. They have been well crafted films, sure (the first one more than the second IMO), and Nolan has done a good job porting over 90s indie thriller conventions to the super hero genre, bbut they're still just big action comic book movies that rely exclusively on spectacle and violence for effect. The characters aren't unique. Heath Ledger's performance was nothing really remarkable.

Still, I'll go see this new one and I'll have fun. I'll just groan afterwards when the fandom set acts like it's a life altering experience.

• Members

Here's a small review:

Now, I know what you are thinking. Just review the film! Tell us your thoughts! Is it better than it's contemporaries that were released earlier this summer? Come on, spoil it for us! Well, here's the thing. Before I saw this movie I had to sign, initial, sign, initial so much paperwork, endure a rather lengthy speech about not posting a single revealing thing regarding performances, technical, thematic and plot points until a certain date. I also had to turn in my cell phone, and they had to check my jacket, pockets and even had to take off my shoes to make sure I did not have any other recording devices. It was kind of like going through air port security. However, I am going to try and be as vague as possible, while giving my early thoughts on this very, very ambitious film. I'm going to do this in bullet format so I can avoid not getting into too much detail.

Now mind you I can not say ANYTHING about this film. Please don't ask me questions in the comment section because I will be unable to answer them. Again I know I could spoil everything and probably not get caught, but as a fellow fanboy you do not want me doing that. It would be a disservice to you, and completely disrespectful to my wife and the lovely people that allowed me to see an early screening. So here are my extremely vague thoughts on the film.

- First I will say A LOT happens, it definitely warrants repeat viewings.

- The film is long but it needs to be, and it flows better than its predecessor. You are not thinking about the run time while watching it. Surprisingly it doesn't really drag, which is something it's predecessor did from time to time.

- There are A LOT, I mean A LOT of BS spoilers making the rounds. I tried to go around last night to all the various sites (SHH, IMBD etc.) and see if anybody had it right. There are some sites that have a lot of the plot points right, but so far I have yet to read anyone get it 100% right.

- Avoid spoilers at all cost this week, there are some scenes that haven't been spoiled that are very surprising to say the least, and I didn't even see coming.

(By the way you don't realize how hard it is to not talk about this film in depth).

- Like I said the film is very ambitious, and the scale is quite grand. It's hard to classify it into a single genre.

- I think I can talk about this, as far as Oscar hopes. It has a VERY strong chance to get nominated, but it's chances of winning depend on the strength of its competition. If it does win, I think it will be a combination of this film, and the strength of the others as a whole trilogy. However, like I said, a nomination is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

- Again, please avoid having the end spoiled. I know I already posted avoid spoilers, but trust me it is worth posting twice.

- It's a very cohesive narrative, and in my opinion a much more intriguing story than its predecessors. The best words to describe it are Grand and Ambitious. I know I've used that word a lot now, but truth be told it's the best word I can think of to describe it.

- The villain is completely articulate, very easy to understand, and in many ways is much more frightening than the villains that proceeded him.

- The film is quite brutal in some areas. If parents had a problem with the story and violence of the last one, I would recommend not taking your child to see this.

- The story will probably be debated by the television talking heads, but it is not preachy, nor does it shove any philosophical ideals down your throat. It requires you to think a little bit, and brings up some very interesting observations on society as a whole. However there will be some pundits who will look too deeply into the story because after all, it is election time here in the States.

- It's definitely a worthy predecessor, and not a weak link by any stretch of the imagination.

- Without getting into specifics, everyone brings their A game. Nobody phones in a performance.

- For those of you worrying, this is not like Spider-man 3, Godfather 3, X-Men The Last Stand, Alien 3. If anything the QUALITY is comparable to Return of The King. A lot of care went into this movie and it definitely shows in every frame. Nothing is wasted, and there is no filler. Some may argue a couple of scenes could be cut, but not many. Almost every scene is important to the narrative.

- There are more lighter moments in this film than it's predecessor. The humor isn't as cheesy or forced this time around. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a lighter film, but these scenes are definitely welcome and break up the tone beautifully.

- I must say the film is beautifully shot. If you can see it in IMAX do so!

- The trailers that have been released don't reveal anything about this movie. So don't worry about being too spoiled if you have been avoiding them.

- The last thing I will say is this. This film is the comic book movie equivalent of an epic poem.

It's been a lot of fun talking and debating these movies with everyone this past year or so. I was actually surprised by how emotional I was, not necessarily because of the story (I mean that did play a part in it) but just watching everything unfold from pre production to casting and story rumors. I remember watching set video's, arguing about costumes, quotes people who are involved in making it said and just speculating what would happen. When the credits rolled all those thoughts rushed through my mind, and I couldn't help but smile. This film was exactly what I wanted to see and then some. It definitely left me very satisfied, and if you are fan of this trilogy you will definitely get your money's worth from this movie.

One last thing, my wife says to tell everyone she loved it and intends on seeing it again with me.

DISCLAIMER
: This article was submitted by a volunteer contributor who has agreed to our code of conduct. ComicBookMovie.com is protected from liability under "safe harbor" provisions and will disable users who knowingly commit plagiarism, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement. For expeditious removal, contact us HERE.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_movies/news/?a=63880

• Members

the first one was really good, it surprised me really. the first one was more about batman, whereas dark knight felt like it was more about the villain(s) and his reaction to them.

The first time I saw dark knight was in the theaters not expecting much - I was positively surprised at every turn and kept expecting it to have some big phony mega-ending where they duke it out or some {censored}, but it just kept on going and I loved it (thought it was over when the joker was in jail, for example).

I'm also really glad to see the runtime on this, I hate it when they cram stuff together to fit under 2 hours for some reason when there's more footage that makes the movie a better one.

edit: OH YEAH PUMPED FOR MAH BRO TOM HARDY WHO ALSO BROUGHT THE RAGE IN "WARRIOR"!!!

• Members
Right there with you Koskinen - IMO it'll be the ONLY perfect trilogy. LoTR was awesome, but had some very dull moments. I've never been bored with any of the Nolan Batman movies; story and/or action. Always something to enjoy.
:thu:

Star Wars Original Theatrical Trilogy
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Man With No Name Trilogy
Evil Dead Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy

I can't think of any other trilogy besides those 5 without a clunker of a movie somewhere in there.

LOTR trilogy's alright, but the only one I'd really care to see again is the Two Towers.

• Members

I'm kind of mixed bag on the Dark Knight trilogy.

First one bored me. Freaking Liam Neeson & some weird Asian Assassin cult destroying Gotham's Monorail? WTF Is this a weird algamation of Superman & the Shadow??? BORING. Katie Holmes was terribad in it. Cillian Murphy should stay with what he does best- kicking ass with his shirt off in the rain.

The Dark Knight- some great scenes & some great cinematography. The scene where the Joker leaves the explosion from the police station in the police car is {censored}ing great. The hospital scene is great. Heath Ledger was a good joker, but so was Jack Nicholson, & I particularly liked the chemical X plot in the Burton Batman, because it's signature Joker. I think that the Dark Knight though did have some flaws such as Christian Bale's Batman voice, & I'm not sure they can top it, especially with a hero as {censored}ing lame as bane.

You know what would be nice? A joker trilogy. Find a dude that's really awesome as the Joker & write a 3 movie story arc involving Batman & the Joker. All the other villains in Batman are pretty much worthless to me. You can have other villains in this trilogy but the Joker runs the show in each movie.

• Members

I think Bane is a great Villain considering he was the one that broke batman's back in the comic and effectively put him out of commission for a while.... and I think that's what everyone, or at least comic books fans, immediately think of when they see Bane in this movie... is he going to "take out" Batman and is someone going to step in and fill his place...

as for comparing Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers for me it's apple and oranges... Jack's Joker was very comic like and I loved it for that, from the BIG ASS hand gun shooting down the Batplane to the fake teeth, he was crazy but not scary IMO.... but Ledger's Joker was just a psycho... reallly dark insane criminal which I think fits in to the Trilogy perfectly, he was that guy that if you saw in the street you would be genuinely freaked out and scared of and I think all the praise he got for that role was well deserved.... down to the odd walk he does when he's walking away from the Hospital as it blows up, just perfect......I love that scene...

• Members
down to the odd walk he does when he's walking away from the Hospital as it blows up, just perfect......I love that scene...

You know how he hits the detenator and nothing happens at first? That wasn't supposed to happen and Heath Ledger just improv'd the bit where he feels almost defeated until it actually goes off :lol:

• Members

Star Wars Original Theatrical Trilogy

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Man With No Name Trilogy

Evil Dead Trilogy

Back to the Future Trilogy

I can't think of any other trilogy besides those 5 without a clunker of a movie somewhere in there.

LOTR trilogy's alright, but the only one I'd really care to see again is the Two Towers.

The Indiana Jones trilogy? Temple of Doom was complete garbage; hated that movie. The 1st Back to the Future was awesome, but the next 2 were just okay. Never seen any of the other on your list.

And when I say "perfect" trilogy, I mean that there is literally nothing I'd want to change about them. Everything was great IMO.

So with the exception of Toy Story, the Nolan Batman trilogy has great potential to be the only other perfect trilogy I've seen.

The original Star Wars was great, but even then, it had flaws. Jmo.

• Members

now i'm excited!

just finished knightfall, yeah robin's in it - i'm not sure whether nolan would risk sticking dick in there

LOL

• Members

i wonder if thats why joeseph gordon levitt was cast in this?

I was reading about that Knightfall series.. apparently..

batman is incapacitated by bane, and some guy (not the same name as JGL's character - John Blake) is recruited to step into the bat-suit. so not Robin.. But that character gets sprayed by Scarecrow which sets off some subconscious issues which makes the new guy slowly get more and more crazy/violent. Seems like an interesting story arc for JGL to take on if the studio takes that forward as a side project. They haven't killed off Scarecrow (yet, he's in DKR) so it seems like that's what they'll potentially do; even just to eke out a few more bucks off the back of Nolan's work.. he and Bale clearly won't do any more after this one.

Archived