The Dark Knight Rises... I. AM. EXCITE.

• Members

Saw it earlier today. Unlike most here, I wasn't expecting a great movie, but I did expect something fun. It wasn't anything special, IMO, dragged alot in the middle, but it was well made and the climax was fun.

My likes and gripes below

- Was surprised how well Anne Hathaway did in the Catwoman role. She really works hard as an actress. Really detailed performance. I still don't think she has the ideal sultriness for a femme fatale character, but she nearly makes up for it with her performance

-Why was this called "Dark Knight Rises"? It seemed like Batman was barely in it until the very end. Would have been cool to see the dark knight for more than 45 minutes of a nearly 3 hour movie. And it's odd to me how all the fanboys are gushing about this flick considering. I would have thought they, more than anyone, would want to see Batman in a Batman movie. Should have more accurately been called "Bain, Bruce Wayne and some random cop guy"

-Liked the twist with Marion Cotillard's character, may be the comics guys knew that was coming. I didn't. Either way, how they set it up with the flashbacks and everything was neat and clever.

-Bain's plan didn't make a whole lot of sense and it wasn't very clear what was going on during his reign in Gotham (though it did have a certain 1 percenters-nightmare-vision-of-occupy-movement subtext to it that was sort of unpleasant). It was also kind of dull (think it would have been more interesting with another kind of villain, like the Joker "liberating" Gotham and making it over in their image). Also Bain as a character worked alot better early, when he was just hulking and menacing and kicking ass. When he started making speeches, the limitations of the character really came to the forefront. Wasn't really Hardy's fault, it's hard to express much when you have a mask covering everything but your eyes.

-I forgot how good Michael Caine is

-The final fight between Batman and Bain was odd. Why does Batman now have the upper hand? I didn't get the cause/effect of that

...anyway, overall it was fun. Nothing spectacular, but a solid, well-crafted blockbuster-action-thriller (though I liked Nolan's first one more than these two follow-ups).

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wrote this on my FB on how I felt generally about the movie: It was pretty dam good, but not "omg epic." A couple of characters were either not needed or over-emphasized taking away from some things that could've developed, and I wasn't feeling a few plot holes. The acting, music, and camera shots were top notch. Bane sounded like an extra bad-ass Sean Connery. Worth seeing overall.

• Members

Batman Begins - 9/10
The Dark Knight - 8/10
The Dark Knight Rises - 10/10

Probably the best trilogy of all time. I also never understood all The Dark Knight love, I thought Batman Begins was clearly the better movie and Heath Ledger wouldn't have received so much praise had he not died. This one, to me, was the best of the three by a mile.

• Members

Batman Begins - 9/10

The Dark Knight - 8/10

Probably the best trilogy of all time. I also never understood all The Dark Knight love, I thought Batman Begins was clearly the better movie and Heath Ledger wouldn't have received so much praise had he not died. This one, to me, was the best of the three by a mile.

Haha... my ratings are pretty much the opposite:

Batman Begins - 8/10

The Dark Knight - 10/10

The Dark Knight Rises - 9.5/10

I do agree, as I've stated before - best trilogy of all time. IMO the only perfect trilogy. There's literally nothing I'd change about any of the movies. :thu:

But I totally disagree with your Heath Ledger comment. I know everyone seems to think that, but his performance was nothing short of spectacular. Would he have won an Oscar for it had he not died? Very doubtful. So that aspect was a bit overhyped, but that shouldn't take away from his amazing performance.

• Members

Bane sounded like an arrogant Picard.. the intonation was a bit weird an made me cringe a couple of times. also sounded too dubbed in places; just too deep and dry.. like it didn't fit in the room like all the other characters' dialogue. should've done some more work on the room reverbs :)

definitely not the best trilogy ever for me. 'the girl who' trilogy was much more consistent 9/10 out of 10's.

the batmans were more like 8's to me. with dark knight a 9.5.

• Members

Batman Begins - 9/10

The Dark Knight - 8/10

You give me back my hope.

TDKR starts on wednesday here and I always thought that Batman Begins was way better than The Dark Knight.

I never got all that Joker Hype.

Now I'm excited again.

But I think Park Chan Wooks "Vengeance/Oldboy"-trilogy is the best "trilogy" of all time.

If you can count that as a real trilogy.

• Members

Bane sounded like an arrogant Picard.. the intonation was a bit weird an made me cringe a couple of times. also sounded too dubbed in places; just too deep and dry.. like it didn't fit in the room like all the other characters' dialogue. should've done some more work on the room reverbs
:)

definitely not the best trilogy ever for me. 'the girl who' trilogy was much more consistent 9/10 out of 10's.

the batmans were more like 8's to me. with dark knight a 9.5.

Hmm that's a good point about the dragon tattoo trilogy. The original Swedish one is excellent.

• Members

Hmm that's a good point about the dragon tattoo trilogy. The original Swedish one is excellent.

Although there has only been one from David Fincher and thus not much of a contest, I still prefer the Swedish versions. Noomi Rapace is awesome and fits the role really well. Some say that Rooney Mara was more true to the books character, but I still prefered Noomi myself. There is quite a divide between the two adaptations in terms of critical reception. Some swear by the original Swedish versions, while others think David Fincher's movie was infinitely better. It's a great series either way and I look forward to the following two, if there ever will be any.

• Members

My ratings for some trilogies:

Batman Begins: 8

Dark Knight: 9

Dark Knight Rises: 8.5

Star Wars IV: 9

Star Wars V: 10

Star Wars VI: 8

Alien: 10

Aliens: 9.5

Alien 3: 7

Pirates of the Caribbean: 7.5

Pirates II: 6

Pirates III: 3

Spiderman: 7.5

Spiderman II: 8.5

Spiderman III: 3

Girl With the Dragon Tatoo: 9

Girl Who Played With Fire: 9

Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: 9

Raiders of the Lost Ark: 10

Temple of Doom: 8

Last Crusade: 9.5

There were only three Indiana Jones movies

• Members

For me:

Batman Begins: 9

Dark Knight: 9

Dark Knight Rises: n/a

The Fellowship of the Ring: 10

The Two Towers: 9

The Return of the King: 9.5

Star Wars IV: 9

Star Wars V: 10

Star Wars VI: 8.5

Alien: 10

Aliens: 9

Alien 3: 8

The Godfather: 9.5

The Godfather Part II: 10

The Godfather Part III: 7

Pirates of the Caribbean: 8

Pirates II: 7.5

Pirates III: 7

Blade 1: 8

Blade 2: 8

Blade 3: 3

Spiderman: 7.5

Spiderman II: 8

Spiderman III: 4

Girl With the Dragon Tatoo: 8.5

Girl Who Played With Fire: 7.5

Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: 8

Toy Story 1: 10

Toy Story 2: 9

Toy Story 3: 9.5

The Bourne Identity: 8.5

The Bourne Supremacy: 8

The Bourne Ultimatum: 8.5

Back to the Future: 10

Back to the Future Part II: 7.5

Back to the Future Part III: 8

X-Men 1: 8

X-Men 2: 8.5

X-Men 3: The Last Stand: 5.5

The Silence of the Lambs: 10

Hannibal: 5

Red Dragon: 6

Mad Max: 8

Mad Max: The Road Warrior: 7.5

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome: 7

Matrix: 9

Matrix Reloaded: 6.5

Matrix Revolution: 5.5

Mission Impossible 1: 8

Mission Impossible 2: 6

Mission Impossible 3: 7.5

Mission Impossible 4: 7.5

Terminator: 9

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: 10

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: 6.5

Raiders of the Lost Ark: 10

Temple of Doom: 8

Last Crusade: 9

And yes, there were only three Indiana Jones movies.

Sorry for the long post. I felt like doing that.

• Members

just got out of TDKR and rewatched the first two last night. I totally avoided seeing any trailers or any

media about the movie at all so i didnt know what to expect beyond Bane, and for the most part I enjoyed it. little things got me excited and expecting some curveballs (having Dagget in it had me hoping for a surprise clayface appearance), and I guessed pretty much right away that Talia would be revealed. I HATED Bane, it was {censored}, straight up. The series has failed pretty much from the start with having terrible voices, Bale's batman voice has always sucked, and changing Bane from South American to an elderly Brit was laughable. then overdubbing and not mixing the audio properly so his voice sat on top of everything else a twice the volume made it worse (and yet he was still unintelligible in parts). just really out of place. then Hardy's pantomiming just added to the cringeworthy performance (serious, during some of those speeches with his exaggerated hand gestures and eyebrows? bad).

JGL was pretty great. I was hoping to see him in action as nightwing or something but I was mostly happy with the ending (though I don't want it to spawn a spinoff). naming him Robin though? should have used Greyson instead when he said that he wasn't using his legal name. Hatheway has some bad lines but overall was ok.

no matter what, I'm going to complain, I'm a big batman fan and there was so much I would have wanted to see, but I know that's not realistic. I wouldn't say that I liked TDKR as much as I liked Avengers (and I'm a DC guy, not into Marvel at all), but I would watch it again.

*did anyone else get a Twilight trailer before the movie? what the {censored} was up with that? talk about not knowing your target audience...

• Members

I just don't think he did anything special at all. Any number of actors could have done just as good a job, and his performance played no part whatsoever in my enjoyment of the movie.

I think he really nailed the insanity, like where the batman's lying down after having crashed and some clown gets electrocuted trying to take off his mask he starts beating on the guy and laughing and just going nuts.

the way he sometimes swings from angry as {censored} to overly happy, it's like when you have too much energy and you can't keep it in. the digital video he sent to the TV station has the same thing in it.

• Members

i have to agree that Ledger nailed it. oscar fully deserved (consider what usually gets an oscar and if those performances have had as much of an impact as that one).. he out Joker'd Jack Nicolson for {censored}s sake! :lol:

Archived