The Dark Knight Rises... I. AM. EXCITE.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm stoked for this movie, obviously. I was worried it would fall flat due to the complaints people have had regarding points such as Bane's accent and Anna Hathaway as Catwoman, but all the reviews I've seen so far have been incredibly positive. All the worries and qualms people have so frequently and so passionately mentioned that were evident in the trailers have totally disappeared in the film itself, which is a sign of true mastercrafting. It's like hearing a song from an album and going "wtf is this {censored}?!", and then hearing it in the context of an entire album and going "ahhhhhhhh, now I get it".

'In Nolan we trust.'

/bangwagoning

No, seriously, this movie is going to be epic. The Batman trilogy is about as good as you can get when it comes to film-making. We haven't had something on this scale since Toy Story or Lord of the Rings; something that has consistently hit the mark in different ways. What one reviewer pointed out was how any Batman movie from Nolan could have been a favourite from any fan. Some people loved the original charm of Toy Story 1, while others prefered the emotional connection of the third one. No matter what you chose, though, you were never questioned or doubted because all three movies were equally amazing. It appears the Batman trilogy is the same, like LotR and Star Wars.

• Members

the first one was so bad that i couldn't even watch the whole thing. sorry, but Batman didn't train in Asia, i don't care what lame storyline some writer came up with in the 80s/90s - including anything to do with Bane.

lol

It's an international action blockbuster. Having him train in exotic locations is part of that viewing experience, and at least put the 'league of cool ninjas led by a man with a certain set of skills' in context. I'd rather watch sweeping vistas of Asia than a cave or a downtown gym.

I've no idea of anything in the 'canon' Batman story in the comics, or how 'lame' it got in the early 90's, or where Bane comes into it, but the way I've understood it in the context of this trilogy, Bane is to Gotham what the bat was to young Bruce Wayne. Something to be confronted in order to necessitate a change for the better.

Bruce has come full circle and literally 'become' the Bat, the symbol he sought out, (the fact that he now has a flying vehicle called 'the bat' isn't coincidence) and so now must overcome a rival of equal stature. A complete moral opposite. BB was about setting that morality up. TDK was a web of morality, like all good crime drama is. Each character embodying various aspects of it, etc, etc. and TDKR follows on from that in terms of an essentially simple confrontation but one where everything is at stake. It'll be great no matter what bit of source material it is using.

• Members

I'm stoked for this movie, obviously. I was worried it would fall flat due to the complaints people have had regarding points such as Bane's accent and Anna Hathaway as Catwoman, but all the reviews I've seen so far have been incredibly positive. All the worries and qualms people have so frequently and so passionately mentioned that were evident in the trailers have totally disappeared in the film itself, which is a sign of true mastercrafting. It's like hearing a song from an album and going "wtf is this {censored}?!", and then hearing it in the context of an entire album and going "ahhhhhhhh, now I get it".

'In Nolan we trust.'

/bangwagoning

No, seriously, this movie is going to be epic. The Batman trilogy is about as good as you can get when it comes to film-making. We haven't had something on this scale since Toy Story or Lord of the Rings; something that has consistently hit the mark in different ways. What one reviewer pointed out was how any Batman movie from Nolan could have been a favourite from any fan. Some people loved the original charm of Toy Story 1, while others prefered the emotional connection of the third one. No matter what you chose, though, you were never questioned or doubted because all three movies were equally amazing. It appears the Batman trilogy is the same, like LotR and Star Wars.

Ok...I don't think any of those things you mentioned are anywhere near the best film making can get but regardless there's an interesting opposite effect for the Star Wars prequels. People will argue endlessly which one was the worst and all be able to see legitimate arguments as to why the other person's pick is valid. For example, among myself and two friends I think Episode I is the worst because it has Jar Jar Binks, Pod Racing, That Stupid Kid, Mitochlorians, and is like a million hours long and is boring for every minute of that million hours. My friend Steve hates Episode II the most for its ridiculously bad acting, the stupid Yoda fight, the terrible droid jokes, the horrid love story, and Anakin's actions generally making no {censored}ing sense. My friend Chris hates Episode III the most cause of the hammy Emperor, more Yoda Fighting, the Retarded Origin of Darth Vader, The stupid Birth Scene, and the fall to the Dark Side making basically no {censored}ing sense.

Truly George Lucas is a baster of bad film making.

• Members

Ok...I don't think any of those things you mentioned are anywhere near the best film making can get but regardless there's an interesting opposite effect for the Star Wars prequels. People will argue endlessly which one was the worst and all be able to see legitimate arguments as to why the other person's pick is valid. For example, among myself and two friends I think Episode I is the worst because it has Jar Jar Binks, Pod Racing, That Stupid Kid, Mitochlorians, and is like a million hours long and is boring for every minute of that million hours. My friend Steve hates Episode II the most for its ridiculously bad acting, the stupid Yoda fight, the terrible droid jokes, the horrid love story, and Anakin's actions generally making no {censored}ing sense. My friend Chris hates Episode III the most cause of the hammy Emperor, more Yoda Fighting, the Retarded Origin of Darth Vader, The stupid Birth Scene, and the fall to the Dark Side making basically no {censored}ing sense.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified. After I posted that comment I realised I should have mentioned in a blockbuster setting. There are boundless movies out there, both from my collection and from ones I have yet to collect, that are even better examples of film-making, but definitely in terms of blockbusters the Batman trilogy is as good as you're going to get. And I was only talking about the original Star Wars movies, episodes IV, V and VI. The first three episodes are bad movies no matter how you spin it.

• Members

The bitching about Anne Hathaway was incredibly stupid. Slating a person's performance before the movie's been {censored}ing shot defies belief. The issues with Bane's voice were addressed and his voice in the trailers is fine.

I'd agree with this. The Dark Knight reminded me of Apocalypse Now Redux, a stunning film that many feel is overlong but the length of it felt right, like it echoed the tension of the situations it portrayed. I love Nolan's flicks and the Batman series successfully straddles the line between mainstream success and superb cinematography. Whatever people may say about Batman, it'd take a tough individual to say that visually Nolan has nailed it every time.

• Members

The bitching about Anne Hathaway was incredibly stupid. Slating a person's performance before the movie's been {censored}ing shot defies belief. The issues with Bane's voice were addressed and his voice in the trailers is fine.

I'd agree with this. The Dark Knight reminded me of Apocalypse Now Redux, a stunning film that many feel is overlong but the length of it felt right, like it echoed the tension of the situations it portrayed. I love Nolan's flicks and the Batman series successfully straddles the line between mainstream success and superb cinematography. Whatever people may say about Batman, it'd take a tough individual to say that visually Nolan has nailed it every time.

At first I thought it was ridiculous, too, but then I started seeing some of the trailers and photographs and interviews, and I guess I became a bit "worried" like others were. I wasn't going aroung broadstroking her (though I wish I could ;)) or spouting bull{censored} about how the film is going to flop because Bane is inaudible or because catwoman is The Princess Diaries, but I did eventually start to think that maybe it wouldn't be as good as The Dark Knight or Batman Begins.

I love the Apocalypse Now Redux as well, like the LotR extended editions and the Donnie Darko Director's Cut. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For Apocalypse Now Redux it was a case of enthralling the viewer in that time zone and that setting, and the longer it is then the more they succumbed to the psychology of the war and of the story and characters. For Batman I WANT a long film, because it's supposed to be the conclusion to a fantastic trilogy.

• Members

Anne Hathaway is an oscar nominated actress. A mutli-million dollar franchise wouldn't go out to the public with a muffled sound mix for the dialogue of one of the main characters.

I'm not having a go at you personally BTW, I just do not understand the trivial, bitchy knee-jerk reactions that people direct toward films when the first pics and trailers get released when they know literally nothing about the script itself, or the actual talent involved.

I've not used IMDB message boards for a long while for those exact reasons. So sick of the weird teenage angst ridden "I'm boycotting this film because X is in it!" threads. Urgh.

• Members

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified. After I posted that comment I realised I should have mentioned in a blockbuster setting. There are boundless movies out there, both from my collection and from ones I have yet to collect, that are even better examples of film-making, but definitely in terms of blockbusters the Batman trilogy is as good as you're going to get. And I was only talking about the original Star Wars movies, episodes IV, V and VI. The first three episodes are bad movies no matter how you spin it.

Yeah I'll agree with that. As far as big budget mainstream blockbusters go they're pretty top of the line. Though maybe next time they'll let Tarantino direct batman and things will be hilarious.

• Members

Yeah I'll agree with that. As far as big budget mainstream blockbusters go they're pretty top of the line. Though maybe next time they'll let Tarantino direct batman and things will be hilarious.

:lol:

To be honest, I hope they don't revamp the series again in a few years time with someone like Michael Bay. That would be a total disaster.

The only things about these Batman movies I'm not majorly keen on is the voice of Christian Bale and Batman as a whole. I think he's way better in the cartoons and video games. Christian Bale is a fantastic actor and a really cool guy from what I can tell, but I wasn't stricken on the suit and his performance in the Dark Knight. I liked him in Batman Begins, though. To me, Batman Begins was a Batman movie, while The Dark Knight was a Joker movie.

• Members

Im with the episode II guy, episode 1 at least had better practical sets/integration with greenscreen whereas episode 2 is where the series stepped on to the green screen and never got off.

• Members

this.

{censored}ing
:facepalm:

You haven't even seen The Dark Knight Rises yet... :confused:

Honestly, there are many well-documented themes and powerful scenes of character-based storytelling in the first two movies, particularly when Alfred is involved. It's not just grumbling and fighting. You'd be kind of a wet towel wrapping a smelly fart if that's honestly what you think. I mean, opinions are valid and everything, but it's not opinion as to whether it's a movie with nothing but grumbling and fighting. The fact is, there is more than that. You either can't see it or don't care for what you do see. The latter is just an opinion and that's fine. Otherwise you're missing out on a great story.

• Members

You haven't even seen The Dark Knight Rises yet...
:confused:

Honestly, there are many well-documented themes and powerful scenes of character-based storytelling in the first two movies, particularly when Alfred is involved. It's not just grumbling and fighting. You'd be kind of a wet towel wrapping a smelly fart if that's honestly what you think. I mean, opinions are valid and everything, but it's not opinion as to whether it's a movie with nothing but grumbling and fighting. The fact is, there
is
more than that. You either can't see it or don't care for what you do see. The latter is just an opinion and that's fine. Otherwise you're missing out on a great story.

ya we get it. the movie's deep. so was this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8CvXi9Wj8

• Members

Anyone else standing in line right now?

Also... Some asshat on Wikipedia may have spoiled part of the movie for us:

*** DON'T READ UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY DON'T CARE***

Blake is a young police officer whose instincts lead him to believe that there is trouble on the horizon. Seeing something of himself in Blake, Commissioner Gordon promotes him to special duty.[22] He is intelligent enough to deduce Batman's identity, but is disgusted by the cover-up of Harvey Dent's crimes and Gordon's role in it. Blake represents the idealism that Gordon and Bruce Wayne once held, but soon lost in their battle against crime in the city.[10] At the end of the movie, another character says that she likes Blake's real first name, Robin.

• Members

Also... Some asshat on Wikipedia may have spoiled part of the movie for us:

how @#$@#(*@#(!#*$(#$ do you have to be to read the Wikipedia of a film before going to see it if you don't want it spoiled??

anyway, saw it last night; loved it.

• Members

how @#$@#(*@#(!#*$(#$ do you have to be to read the Wikipedia of a film before going to see it if you don't want it spoiled??

anyway, saw it last night; loved it.

Hey douche - I was only reading the casting list. Didn't see any harm in that. Lesson learned.

Archived