The Dark Knight Rises... I. AM. EXCITE.

• Members

I took it as BW is dead, Batman is dead, everything has been handed over to JGL to do with what he wants, and now Bruce is going to travel around Europe with a criminal he just met. Yeah, he showed up at the end for Alfred, but he's not coming back.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Oh yeah, a couple other trilogies:

Godfather: 10

Godfather II: 9

Godfather III: 7

Matrix: 7.5

Matrix II: 3

Matrix III: 4

Terminator: 7.5

Terminator II: 9

Terminator III: 6

Star Wars I: -9

Star Wars II: -9

Star Wars III: -7

Back to the Future: 8

Back to the Future II: 7

Back to the Future III: 7

X-Men: 6.5

X-Men II: 6.5

X-Men II: -6.5

Mad Max: 8

Road Warrior: 6

Thunderdome: 4

Die Hard: 9

Die Hard II: 7

Die Hard 3: 7.5

Night of the Living Dead: 8

Dawn of the Dead: 9

Day of the Dead: 7

Lord of the Rings: 8

Two Towers: 8

Return of the King: 8

Jurassic Park: 8

Lost World: 6

Jurassic Park III: 4

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul: 8

This Night I'll Posses Your Corpse: 7

Awakening of the Beast: 7

And before someone is like omg godfather II the same as terminator II???? v pls, etc. I'm judging these based on what they set out to do and those moves set out to do totally different things. Terminator 2 is about a 9 for an action movie and Godfather II is about a 9 imo for a crime drama.

23946181.jpg

• Members

I dug the ending, it wrapped it up but still left it open since after all... you can't REALLLY kill off Batman....and I guess now if they want to do a Movie with Robin/Nightwing they have that option... Nolan could have been picking his words when he said no more Batman for him, never said anything about Robin/Nightwing....

The movie on the whole was entertaining though maybe a little slow in some places.. I agree it was {censored} that Bruce didn't pick up on the scar on Miranda/Talia's back and anyone that says Anne Hathaway didn't play a solid catwoman is a fool, I especially liked the scenes where she was riding the Bat Bike... DAT ASS....

• Members

Final shot of the film should have been Alfred in the cafe, looking towards the camera and just beginning to smile, then cut sharply to black.

I said earlier in this thread that I really enjoyed it but agree with comments here that a lot had clearly been trimmed to make one film. Hopefully we'll see an extended director's cut one day.

• Members

Final shot of the film should have been Alfred in the cafe, looking towards the camera and just beginning to smile, then cut sharply to black.

that's what I thought was going to happen... then they cut to Bruce and the chick....

• Members

Yeah, it's the music cue. It comes in right when you think it's going to cut, which is a bit jarring. I'm surprised by how rough-round the edges Chris Nolan's Batman films are actually. They're full of little missed beats. Maybe it's a deliberate thing?

however, ending the entire trilogy on Michael Caine's smiling face would have been a bit odd in retrospect.

• Members

Just saw it....was very happy. Great movie....a few weird leaps and plot holes, but we really liked it.

So my things:

1. I understood Bane fine...but the voice he used reminded me of a cheesy impression of Sean Connery's James Bond...am I the only one?

2. I dunno if they were inferring a time leap, but the whole now it's a nuclear reactor and 30 seconds later it's a bomb thing was silly. Even if they were allowing 15-30 minutes to pass, it couldn't be more than that...and that was a bit too unbelievable.

3. How the {censored} did Bruce get from Middle of Nowherestan back to Gotham??? And so quickly?? I think they alluded to a 6 hour time gap?

4. The way Tate died was so stupid....the whole say the final words then quick head nod and closed eyes thing..I actually laughed.

5. Bane's death was underwhelming, but I get it....they had to keep moving.

6. I take the ending for what it was...Bruce fixed the auto pilot, he got out, ran away, faked his death, ran off with Catwoman to start new lives. Robin is now the next Batman. hence The Dark Knight Rises (just one of the meanings of the title). Alfred wasn't dreaming...that wouldn't make sense since nothing else in the end sequence was a dream.

But yes, I'd love to see a 4 hour version of this movie with time to breathe and really let everything sink in and develop a little better.

• Members

*contains spoilers*

the only thing that bugged me was that plot twist.

and how the {censored} does batman take bullets and bane's rock crushing punches like a champ yet a girl wielding a knife can completely destroy him. That annoyed me.

otherwise a very good movie

• Members

*contains spoilers*

the only thing that bugged me was that plot twist.

and how the {censored} does batman take bullets and bane's rock crushing punches like a champ yet a girl wielding a knife can completely destroy him. That annoyed me.

otherwise a very good movie

I'd say Bruce was more emotionally hurt than psychically. Bale sold that twist like a champ.

• Members

my biggest problem with these movies is that batman isn't batman. he did pretty much no detective work at all. he gives up repeatedly. the entire series was more like Year One spread over what, ten years? the character never gets out of the "begins" phase. He's supposed to be super smart (and he can apparently program an autopilot system that his engineers couldn't do?) and the world's greatest detective but is more about rushing in, punching and blowing {censored} up. batman doesn't kill either.

Batman doesn't quit, and doesn't retire. he's insane, really, and will only stop when he dies (and not a fake death). this version also doesn't seem to have a problem with guns.

Nolan-verse batman isn't the (idea of) batman I grew up with and love, this is some elseworld type stuff where batman never really grows into his full potential and is a quitter.

I had a fanboy moment with Bruce ending up with Selina, but Nolan was able to do what the comics financially can't - End Bruce Wayne's story. So for that, it worked.

Anyways, Nolan's Bruce is still extremely clever. I like how understated and subtle Bruce's intellect actually is in the majority of Batman movies. When Fox came over to tell Bruce about his suspicions of Lau's dirty work in TDK, Bruce merely tells him to cancel the deal. Right after that Fox replies with "you already knew?" For all the dislike the sonar sequence got in TDK, it gave us one of my favorite Batman moments on film - "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Those lines alone show you how {censored}ed up Batman is. It gave us Batman at his coldest. Simply unequivocal when it came to catching the Joker. He took Lucius' Sonar equipment and tweaked the {censored} out of it. Very detective, indeed. Not only that, he took information at the docks about the drugs being divided into two shipments when he detained Falcone and his men in BB. He got the rest of the information from Flass through interrogation and followed up on it at the apartment Crane and his goons later showed up to. I also liked how he was in disguise and listening in to Flass and Falcone's conversation through his bat-equipment.

TDK gave us a Batman who delivered lightly radiated bills to then Lt. Gordon for his own police work. We then get Batman classically put at the crime scene, and not only that; he was the first person there. Gordon and Ramirez arrived after. Ballistics off a shot bullet may be more far fetched than I anticipated, but it's still Batman doing investigative work. Bruce then followed the lead as just himself in disguise shortly after.

TDKR had the least amount of detective work, but still a very proactive Batman/Bruce Wayne. He looked up Selina Kyle's rap sheet on the bat-computer, and even looked at a surveillance video of Bane throwing down at the stock exchange. I liked how Batman was spying on Catwoman when she was on the roof with Bane's men. Very classic moment having Batman all ready to pounce. Bruce even had a tracking device on the pearls Selina stole from him. That's a very Batman like thing to do.

But yeah, there's more clever/detective moments that I'm not mentioning here, and to be fair, all of the Batman movies, from Burton all the way to Nolan have shown Bruce doing investigative things. I'm starting to think people want the directors to beat us over the head with "Oh he's the dark knight detective". lol.

Archived