Tell me about CD's - do you still use them? Do you buy blank or pre-recorded CDs?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love owning my music physically so I buy a lot of CDs still, of the 800 albums on my mac/ipod/iphone/ipad there's about 6 I only own in a digital format. I have a lot of vinyl but other than alot of my dad's old folk and prog records that aren't available I double them up on CD as well.
I think i may have a problem.

• Members

I still buy/use CDs, mainly for the longevity factor.
True MTBF on any of the 'digital' media (drives of any sort) is still around 5-7 years, max.
For my medical stuff, it would be a crime (literally, imo) for me to rely on hardrives/electronic storage for patient info...so off to CD it goes for backup.

For music, I'm very old school...cds. I buy them from friend's bands....if they are download only, I do not have nor want it.
The quality dropoff in mp3, etc is very disturbing to my ears...almost like a channel has been lost. I do not listen to them, period.

Since I do not record my own music, I don't distribute via any mechanism whatsoever.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Do you still purchase albums on CD, or do you prefer digital delivery? Or maybe streaming's your thing now...?
I quit buying CDs when my CD player died about 10 years ago. I buy vinyl if it's available, listen on my iPod or iPhone a lot at home or in my car, and stream at work.

Do you still distribute your music on CD, or are you still interested in CD-format releases of your music? Do you consider it an important format for getting your music to your listeners? If not, what (if anything) has replaced that as your primary release format?
One of my bands just released a new album last month. I wanted to go the vinyl route, with CD-Rs inserted--I hate when I buy an album that's been out a year and the complimentary download codes have expired--but we ended up going with replicated CDs and downloads via Bandcamp. So far, we've made our money back on CD sales but have only sold one album via downloads. My other band is in the midst of mixing our debut album, and we're still not sure how we're going to release it. We've toyed with the idea of a 12' single or EP that comes with the full album on CD-R.

Do you still back up data to CD-R / CD-RW, DVD-R / DVD-RW, or have SSDs and HDDs replaced optical media as your backup format of choice?
I backup to SSDs, HDDs, and DVD-Rs. I had an HDD completely tank on me about 7 years ago, and take with it about 5 years of original music that I had no other backup for. That hurt.

Do you still burn audio CDs at all - for use in the car, as studio "roughs", use in a Diskman, as "mix tapes" for friends, etc?
I burn "mix tapes" for my wife.

Not counting tablets and smartphones, do you own a computer that has no optical drive in it?
No.

• Members

You know what's funny? 15 years ago I wondered if I'd ever be able to replace my vinyl collection with CDs, and now I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to replace my CD collection with vinyl. Damn! I really need to buy a CD Player and unpack my CDs. Or, at least, rip them to mp3s.

• Members

I buy CDs, usually used from Amazon. I'll still burn CDs to play in my car every now and then. I used to do both of those a lot but not so much any more. I listen to a lot of stuff on youtube and grooveshark but it rarely inspires me to go out and buy anything for repeated listenings. I also borrow CDs from the library.

This is a 180 for me because I used to collect CDs and DVDs but I sold a ton of them when I moved to FL, for financial and living area reasons plus the whole idea lost its appeal to me.

• Members

I buy CD's. I just gave my wife a list last night of CD's that she can get me for Christmas.

When I was a kid getting an LP (at Christmas or other) was almost a religious experience. Opening the cellophane, reading the liner notes while you listened to the album etc. For some reason I have zero interest in itunes. I do stream some playlists on youtube at work somtimes.

• Members

I grew up with vinyl, and when cd's came around, I thought they were great. No more pops, or skips, or finicky cartridge setup, no having to change the record over to hear the other side, the ability to transport to the car, etc.

I still have a lot of vinyl, and I like the format now more than I used to. But I mostly buy cd's. I have a good cd player, with a good DAC in it, and that helps. To get the most out of vinyl, you need to have pretty good equipment.

Nevertheless, I buy cd's because I still like the format, they don't take up much space really, and I occasionally I will make mixes with different cd's for the car, but not that often. I used to buy off of itunes, but I don't like that format much, I like having the actual music I paid for, in my hands. It's mine, not a lease as Apple would have you believe. Plus, cd or viny's audio quality is much better than downloading.

I do find though, I listen to Pandora a lot when I'm on the treadmill or working out, gives me some new ideas for music I hadn't considered, and if I like it, I buy it.

• Members

I still buy pretty much everything on CD, and pretty much all albums. I do download stuff occasionally, but generally only if it's somebody on HC's band and physical copies aren't available, or if there's something I want where a download is considerably cheaper- f'rinstance, I bought Miles Davis' "Pangaea" album as a download because a CD would have cost

• Members

i buy mp3s on the web. instant gratification and all that. i use CDs for burning pics and whatnot - my daughter just had a birthday party and i burned a bunch of picture CDs for all the partiers. other than that, i really don't buy CDs unless i'm at a yard sale/used shop, but i use all my old CDs in my car.

• Members

I still use CD's for a couple reasons. For one thing, my iPod cable in my car is busted and I am too lazy to bring a soldering iron out there to fix it.

Also, I do like the higher audio quality, so a lot of times I will rip a CD as full res AIFF or WAV files into itunes.

Most of my music now comes from the thrift store that I work at. I take home almost every CD that comes in and rip it to my computer, then bring them back. I've discovered some pretty cool music this way.
I do still buy CD's because they are cheaper to get used than they are on itunes a lot of the time, and once again, higher quality.

• Members

I buy vinyl and use the download code for when I'm out and about - if it's not available on vinyl (Tour EPs and such) I buy the CD and rip it to MP3 straightaway.

That's only when I like the album in question so much I want to own it, though. I'm usually fine with streaming.

• Members

I still buy cd's although less often. It's still the easiest (legal) way to get lossless (imo), if you're into that. But when i do buy them, they get ripped to my laptop and thrown in the drawer and possibly aren't touched again. I keep them around like they are the 'masters' in case i need to re-rip. Even though I mostly listen at 320, i usually rip at Apple Lossless.

I think if Apple (or amazon) started offering their downloads in 320 (currently they do 256) then i would seriously consider not getting any more cd's and fully embracing the iTunes store. And before anyone says normal humans can't tell the diff between 256 and 320 - I don't care, i like 320.

Also I have (and love) MOG now. They are similar to Spotify except they do 320 for all their tracks (Spotify is a mix of 192-320 iirc)

I used to buy a ton of vinyl in my college days (95-99). i don't do that anymore except for the odd 7".

I never buy blank cd's for music-related purposes anymore.

Archived