Tell me about CD's - do you still use them? Do you buy blank or pre-recorded CDs?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Haven't bought s CD in many many years.

I only buy Vinyl and Digital. Predominantly Flac/lossless Digital.

When i can get the money together to upgrade my Rega P2 so something more up to par with my stereo i'll probably buy more vinyl than i do now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

View Post

Vinyl is another story. I never got into it and still don't get it. And where the {censored} are you supposed to buy a record player nowadays? Everyone I know that has one just stole their parents record player that hasn't been used since the early 80's.

You obviously have never heard a Good TT through a proper system have you...

• Members

Its funny to see this as this was talked about indirectly on NCIS LA, the issue was vinyl vs digital how not only does it sound better but when you really listen to a record you usually sit yourself down and actually listen to it, in other words it becomes an event. I thought how true, people are hooking up their electronic devices with their thousands of songs into their big sound systems. A lot of money to listen to compressed music. It seems when the quality of everything else is improving we are going backwards in regards to the quality of the device we use to listen. Who needs studios and expensive gear when they are just going to be chewed up and compressed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by T Sat

View Post

Its funny to see this as this was talked about indirectly on NCIS LA, the issue was vinyl vs digital how not only does it sound better but when you really listen to a record you usually sit yourself down and actually listen to it, in other words it becomes an event. I thought how true, people are hooking up their electronic devices with their thousands of songs into their big sound systems. A lot of money to listen to compressed music. It seems when the quality of everything else is improving we are going backwards in regards to the quality of the device we use to listen. Who needs studios and expensive gear when they are just going to be chewed up and compressed anyway.

Interesting. I like NCIS, although I have not watched either series for a while now, and don't recall seeing that one.

While you can hook your portable device up to a large system (and I sometimes do), it doesn't have to be playing back a compressed file - the iPhone can play back uncompressed 16 bit, 44.1 kHz "CD quality" audio - you just can't fit as much of it on there. But your point is still valid IMO - most people probably don't hook up to large systems very often, and if/when they do, it's probably an MP3 or other compressed audio file they'll be playing back.

Archived