Tell me about CD's - do you still use them? Do you buy blank or pre-recorded CDs?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I buy vinyl, primarily, although I've been buying more CDs in the last few years since I've been getting into more noise/power electronics as it is the preferred format with the aforementioned genres.

As a guy who tours in metal bands, people at shows seem to prefer vinyl over CDs. Especially with the last band I was involved in. To the point where they would flat out say, "I'm just gonna download it from Soulseek or something like that and I'll buy it when the vinyl is available."

I do keep a spindle of blank CDs around but it seems that I rarely use them.

My computer still has a drive on it but I rarely use it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't bought a band's cd in at least a few years. Often I can buy vinyl and get a free digital download code also. My current computer doesn't have an optical drive but it plugs in via USB. I burn cd's often for use in the car mostly but sometimes i'll give burned cd's to friends as mixtapes or 'hey you really need to listen to this album' type thing.

• Members

I buy CDs - there's something fundamentally wrong to me about getting music in an intangible format, probably because I grew up in the era of LPs and a CD was a major step-down in the whole album experience. However I will normally then rip the CD (to high quality) and play it on either computer, phone or MP3 player.

Backup is HDD generally, though for small files it might also be memory stick. Used to use CDs but the sheer size of data has grown and CDs/DVDs are too slow.

• Members

I'd be more interested in downloading tunes if the quality was the same if not better. .. because they are both a digital reproduction anyway.. shouldn't matter.

I am a bit of a traditionalist too.. I like the physical copy of something. Proof if you will.. that I own something.

• Members

Good question.

I don't buy music on compact disc anymore. I've started liking the sound and look of vinyls better (bigger, better artwork, the sound is arguably better).

If I am browsing the net, and I find a band that seems interesting, I will download their music for free. That is, illegally. If I deem the music good enough, I will support the band by buying their album and trying to see them live. If I don't like it, I delete it and save my money for bands I do like.

No more buying albums with 1-2 good songs, only to find out the rest of the album is filler crap.

I still have my CD collection, and I do pull one out from time to time. It is almost as nostalgic as listening to a cassette tape.

• Members

I only buy digital downloads if it's not available on CD or vinyl. And when I see small shows, I like to support the artists who are selling CD-Rs for $3-5 a pop. I still rip them to my DAP, but there's something to be said about lending a handful of CDs to a friend and saying "Here, listen to these, I think you'll like them!" rather than simply emailing a link to them.

• Members

I sold off my physical music collection in all formats a couple years ago. I remember the days when I used to be so excited for (whoever's) new album, would buy it, and listen to it over and over. Those days are long gone, I think for two major reasons (how we buy music, and what music is carried by brick and mortar stores). Now I'll buy something off of iTunes or direct download from their website. I find I don't listen to it the same, but such is change.

I have a spindle of blank CD-r's from ... I dunno how many years ago, at least 5. I burn one every now and again for the car, since I don't have a mp3 player connection, maybe a couple a year. I also buy a physical cd every here and again at a show, or if its only available locally. I bet it averages to maybe 1 or 2 a year.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls

View Post

I think that is interesting. To me artwork died with LP's but that is cool. The digital artwork that can be printed if really desired works for me.

Nah, pdf/jpg's that come with mp3's dont do a thing for me

• Members

surprised by the CD love on here! I thought I was alone.

I buy a lot fewer CDs than I used to, but if I'm spending $$ I still want a solid LOSSLESS copy that I can rip to MP3 or FLAC or whatever's next.

That being said, digital downloads are darn convenient and I will buy them if they are significantly cheaper than a the same thing on CD.

• Members

I'd have completely abandoned them if not for some business folk wanting a physical CD instead of a plethora of file options via a dropbox for presskits.

I'm surprised how many labels insist on this. Maybe I just grumble because of the wasted cost of mailing things to the US.

• Members

I appreciate cool artwork packaging but I'm not really interested in music as a physical object. That ship had already sailed by the time I was old enough to be paying attention. My main portable music listening is an Android phone with a 64gb microSD card inside, and at home my computer is connected to some Bose speakers that sound pretty good (although I'd love to upgrade them given the chance)

I buy CDs at shows to support bands I like but that's about it. Otherwise if I want to support a band I buy it online - probably on iTunes but I'll go to a smaller/specialty online store or the band's own website if they've indicated that's better for them.

I do burn CDs to listen to in the car - I did realize reading this thread that I probably could have bought a replacement stereo with an aux in with the amount of money I've spent on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Factor

View Post

surprised by the CD love on here! I thought I was alone.

I buy a lot fewer CDs than I used to, but if I'm spending $$ I still want a solid LOSSLESS copy that I can rip to MP3 or FLAC or whatever's next.

That being said, digital downloads are darn convenient and I will buy them if they are significantly cheaper than a the same thing on CD.

I'm a bit surprised by the responses too - great stuff! Please keep those opinions coming! cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by oinkbanana

View Post

I'd have completely abandoned them if not for some business folk wanting a physical CD instead of a plethora of file options via a dropbox for presskits.

I'm surprised how many labels insist on this. Maybe I just grumble because of the wasted cost of mailing things to the US.

Another prove that labels have no clue how music biz works today...

• Members

At this point, when I find myself in a record store, which is not as often as I'd like, I'm going to walk out with vinyl or nothing at all. If I'm going digi I prefer Bandcamp as I know the band is getting a lions share of the cash. If I do find myself buying a CD or Cassette release, that's right cassette, it's from a touring band and more then like the CD or Cassette is self produced CDR etc and the band is trying to find its road expenses to the next town they are playing in.

I kinda see CDs as a bad investment for a band. Vinyl is still collectable and bandcamp offers a ton of Digi formats while skipping the greed of itunes and supporting the artists financially.

• Members

I still have a bunch from back in the day that I'd really like to unload, but I know they are pretty much worthless to most and would probably lose money trying to ship them. frown.gif

That being said. There's some stuff I wouldn't want to get rid of and want the physical back up.

My car doesn't have ipod/usb/bluetooth, so i still heavily rely on them. But most of the music I listen to these days is newer, so not even really available on disc. Though in some cases I'd love if i had it.

Archived