Smashing Pumpkins Vs Pearl Jam

bsc590

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hahaha, oh man! I can't think of two bands who I give my friends a harder time for liking.

Pearl Jam, cause nothing about their music moves me...and SP, cause Billy Corgan acts like such a douche.

So, I'm gonna say SP is better, cause I think I have fewer problems with their music/sound. Basically, if I could make a mix of both band's best songs, I think I'd enjoy SP's a lot more.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Z*Z*Z

View Post

Bob Dylan vs Jimi Hendrix?

Tool vs Dream Theater?

Beach Boys vs Velvet Underground?

Beatles vs Stones?

Johnny Cash vs Neil Young?

Flaming Lips vs Mercury Rev?

Sex Pistols vs Clash?

Cure vs New Order?

A-Ha vs Duran Duran?

Arcade Fire vs Coldplay?

Radiohead vs Pink Floyd?

HCFX vs TGP?

Quote Originally Posted by orangesix

View Post

SP has a much more diverse catalog. Most of PJ hasn't stood the test of time musically. Prefer SP.

I find the complete opposite, Pearl Jam to me has stood the test of time infinitely better than SP.

Quote Originally Posted by oinkbanana

View Post

i've never liked PJ but they've been much kinder to their fans.

but at this point more time won't change how relevant they'll be outside of the 90's grunge/altrock bubble.

Pearl Jam was the first band to sell out our (then) new arena, they even sold out in the rear auditorium where the folks could only see the back of the band. In comparison, Smashing Pumpkins couldn't sell out 3/4 of the arena even when blowing out tickets for $20.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass

View Post

Love both. Pumpkins rock harder, Pearl Jam groove/jam better.

I dunno about that, the Pumpkins jam really well live. At a pumpkins show you're almost guaranteed to have one or more 10+ minute jams and very likely to see something 20 minutes or so.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by notjonahbutnoah

View Post

Both their strong suits are songwriting. Both their weak points are the vocals.

That said, I never really got into PJ put jame out to Siamese Dream on the regular so personally, I say Pumpkins.

whoa. vedder's an amazing singer. guy has some serious range and still screams like he was a kid.

that said, PJ. pumpkins are OK, but i've gotten serious chills from a bunch of PJ songs. vocals and guitars have both hit me pretty hard with those guys

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by houseofglass21

View Post

So tell us arthurdent'd, what bands do you and your breaux of breaux's christianatl think are good? Don't worry homie, I listen to the Stooges and Jesus Lizard too, but I don't limit myself on what I can like because of some macho noise rock scenester bull{censored}. Return the cooling card...

lol easy mang, just bustin' balls....neither of those bands have been in my rotation much lately. I do love them both of course, and I like the Cure as well, don't listen to them much these days either....mostly been obsessed with Bachs Brandeburg concertos....and Keith Jarret solo Bremen concerts, I listen to Jazz and classical when I paint, and I spend most of my time these days painting. But seriously, Depeche Mode sucks almost as much as the Beach Boys. icon_lol.gif

I am way too old and square to want a cool card or participate in a scene.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Folky_Grunge

View Post

Liberal causes vs. Conspiracy theories

One is bolder and less mainstream.

Liberal cause fighters are just going through the motions while glad handing with the gubment. Conspiracy theorists are the new revolution like liberal causes were in the 60's. You gotta fight something

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsc590

View Post

Help me settle a work argument. Better over all Band. My point Pearl Jam 10 and Siamese Dream are both equal and great. Pearl Jam never made anything that was as good as Gish or Mellon Collie. I say Smashing Pumpkins are better.

icon_lol.gif I like how you thought asking a completely arbitrary question to a music forum would somehow settle an argument.

I'm not being a turd. I really like that you thought that.

Archived