Smashing Pumpkins Vs Pearl Jam

bsc590

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

was always more of a pumpkins fan.. until about 2000 when they played their last ever UK gig rolleyes.gif

saw this recently though, and it's a VERY interesting intellectual discussion (or rant depending on your dislike of Corgan) on the music industry, what media throws at you as an ageing musician and general philosophy of Billy Corgan.. which, despite me not liking what he's doing now with the pumpkins name, gives a very fair explanation of his view on the whole issue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaSilence

View Post

SP got worse with age, PJ got better.

Totally agree, I never liked PJ back in the day (and still don't really like 10 much) but as the years have passed they have become more and more appealing and well, just turned into a really great rock band. I lost interest in SP after Siamese Dream and that was a long long time ago now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

The correct answer here is

Came here to post this. The talented guys from Green River went to Mudhoney, the corporate whores started Pearl Jam. PJ were the Nickelback of the early '90s, Billy Corgan is just a whiny bitch .

• Members

I remember the first time I heard Pearl Jam's Ten: I was a young teenager with a pocket full of pennies that my grandparents gave me while I was on holiday in England. I was at Asda and started picking up random CD's that looked cool. It was an impulse purchase. I listened to that record so much that on the home in Dublin, I spent the rest of my money on a load of other Pearl Jam records. I don't really listen to them any more, but that's not because I don't like their music. I just changed.

Smashing Pumpkins, on the other hand, were a band that I knew I liked but didn't have any of records on disc. Friends had given me crappy mp3's, way back when they were first hitting the market and appearing as reasonable alternatives to CD and Mini-Disc, but the quality wasn't great and that left a bad impression on me. I enjoyed their music a lot, but I never felt connected to it as strongly as I did with Pearl Jam. I remember playing Counter Strike listening to Pearl Jam. There are now certain maps that I link them to, and the same goes for Muse and Smashing Pumpkins.

I've always appreciated Pearl Jam as a band, while Smashing Pumpkins were the original hipsters and weren't anywhere near as naturally cool or inspirational, at least for me. The whole disbanding wasn't very attractive either, and the transphobic talk from Billy Corgan directed towards Devi Ever was something I did not support. I never liked Billy Corgan. He always had an air of superiority about him.

Just my opinion.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

Totally agree, I never liked PJ back in the day (and still don't really like 10 much) but as the years have passed they have become more and more appealing and well, just turned into a really great rock band. I lost interest in SP after Siamese Dream and that was a long long time ago now.

Most people that are really into Pearl Jam aren't into Ten very much; it's actually kind of interesting - most casual fans or people who don't like them think Ten is the best thing they've done, but few dedicated fans consider it their favorite. It's probably the reason so many in this thread are calling them bland, it's certainly kind of a bland sounding record (especially in the production). Their post-Ten stuff is much more interesting, and they definitely matured (Ten was recorded less than a year after the band had formed) into a great band.

• Members

apples and oranges imo musically. It'd be like comparing U2 to REM.

personality-wise... I'm old enough to know it's not worth putting any thought into what 'rockstars' think or how they present themselves.

Fingerboard acrobatics -- McCready > Corgan

Riffage Billy

Chord Progression madness Stone

"Composer" vs "songwriters" Corgan > SP

% of material I like compared to total catalog...

SP probably edges out and the stuff I like, I like more than the stuff I like from PJ

One of the things that attracts me to music is the power and dynamics it presents.. the emotion and for that:

Eddie's Voice vs. Billy's Angels/Demon's guitar work... too close to call.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

whisper.gif if you spell each backwards you would get 'snikpmup gnihsams and maj lraep'. these letters transposed would allow one to spell

'Spasms Humping Kin' > 'Maple Jar'. whisper.gif

which is best- who the F wants a maple jar? not me. smashing pumpkins takes this one.

"Pumpin gash-skin or leper jam" ??

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by oinkbanana

View Post

how does jimmy chamberlin make it look so easy.. that man is a monster.

did any band in the 90's even have a better drummer?

Danny Carey is pretty good at ze drums. Not sure about the people into all the "yeahs and hee hee's" in the peal jams but to each his own. It's funny to see people trashing SP records from the 90s. Whatever if you dont like the way someone sings they did sell more records than your band ever will and put out a couple defining records of the 90s. I still meet people that hate the Beatles though. Madness I say.

Archived