A bit OT, but not that much: Do you watch T.V. ?????

Misha

• Members

We spend time playing guitar, talking about guitars, recording meodies, etc...

We spend time online too.

Do you guys watch T.V. a lot?

I rarely turn my T.V. on.

I watch Dr. House... That's about it!

Internet replaced the T.V. in my case.

If I can't read the news on Cyberpresse, it's not a good day.

I guess I'm not alone??? :confused:

• Members

I watch an insane amount of television - been this way since my early childhood. I wish it weren't the case, but I'm a frickin' addict.

There are a billion other infinitely more productive and rewarding ways I could be spending my time - becoming a better guitar player being way up high on that list - but at this point in my life my head is probably up my ass to stay.

:facepalm:

• Members

One of my New Years Resolutions is to cut back on TV and I also plan to cancel my cable. There are so many better things to do like practicing, music listening, excercise or surfing these music forums which I think is a great learning tool.

• Members

Wot de friggin 'ell is TeeVee?

Over here, we have 4 channels via the aerial, RTE1, RTE2 and "3" in English and a Gaelic channel. Very lucky folks can also receive BBC1 and BBC2.

Want more - pay more, you'll have to have a subscription of cable/sat providers to receive more channels. Not cheap. Not really.

Cuts down on the usage quite significantly.

• Members

Nope. Cancelled the cable since I wasn't using it anyway. We watch a dvd or two a week. I'm on the internet a lot, walk the dog, play the guitar, etc. Got too much to do to waste time just watching colored lights.

Kid plays Playstation on the big tv. Other than that, it mostly just sits.

Glad I didn't really spend much on it -- got it at a garage sale when everybody was switching up to flatscreens.

• Members

Not quite up there with knockwood but I watch a fair amount of TV. Mostly SF or crime. Fan of House, Castle, Fringe, Smallville, Medium, and absolutely love Monk. Sometimes watch Man vs. Food. Waiting breathlessly for Flashforward to return. Got cable with the digital recorder a bit over a year ago and wouldn't want to be without it.

• Members

Just got a new cable package. Don't get many English channels, just CNN World, and a couple of other business channels. Nothing like watching Star Trek, Time Tunnel, I Dream of Jeannie, the Simpsons, The Avengers, and others dubbed into German. :facepalm:

There are often, though, good documentaries on WWII, with footage shot by both the Germans and the Americans. A lot of it is in colour, which gives the footage a completely different feel, like it could've happened yesterday. Germany is not afraid to confront its past, unlike, say, Russia, or Japan. I have to give the Germans credit for that.

We have Babylon 5 on DVD, and have rented 'Lost,' up to season 4. Our video shop hasn't gotten season 5 in yet, though season 6 has started.

I watch less TV now than I did when I was in Canada. Probably a good thing. Nothing like flicking through 100 channels and finding nothing watchable.

Now, if I want to waste my time, I get on the internet.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I don't watch a great deal but there are often some very good programmes (music, documentaries, current affairs, etc) to be found on BBC 1, BBC 2 and
BBC 4
- we are very lucky to have the good old Beeb.

I agree: There's some excellent 60s/70s music broadcast on BBC4 - Recently we've had some great shows featuring: The (early) Eagles; Tom Paxton; Peter Paul & Mary; Woody Guthrie; Joan Baez; Jacques Brel; Edith Piaf; Joni Mitchell; Neil Young.........and on....and on.....!

• Members

I like to watch TV, but don't get but maybe an hour a day. And that's laying in bed at night where I fall asleep before an hour goes by. ;)

I don't watch the local stations, other than for the news. I like the History Channel(s), sports and HBO/Showtime. And VH1 Classic.

• Members

I'd say we're probable average viewers...we watch House, Lost, American Idol, Survivor, The Amazing Race and a few shows on Discovery and Food Channels...plus we never miss a NASCAR race...both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series. My wife likes the CSI type shows.

• Members

History Channel- Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, Madhouse, Axe Men, and pretty much anything else they have on

Hulu- Glee, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Modern Family, Family Guy, American Dad, and The Simpsons

SpikeTV- 1000 Ways To Die, and Warrior Vs. Warrior (or whatever it's called)

Oh and I watch Young and the Restless

• Members

The magic window is wonderful. How else could a poor boy from the Kentucky hills watch a black maned lion race across the African plains, or see a hump backed whale breach in a iceberg strewn ocean, or watch Chloe Agnew as she sings a song with a voice that could make the angels weep? T.V. isn't a vast wasteland anymore, but rather a window to the world.

• Members

The magic window is wonderful. How else could a poor boy from the Kentucky hills watch a black maned lion race across the African plains, or see a hump backed whale breach in a iceberg strewn ocean, or watch Chloe Agnew as she sings a song with a voice that could make the angels weep? T.V. isn't a vast wasteland anymore, but rather a window to the world.

There is truth to what you say. Depending on how it is used by the viewer, it can be a very good thing.

I just got completely burned out on it, and don't mind having my kids not spending much time on it. Homework would keep us from watching it most of the time, anyway.

• Members

It's embarrassing how much TV I watch in addition to time spent online. I wish I could play more guitar but it interferes with others' TV watching so I limit myself to a 1/2 hour of that a day.

Right now I'm watching Sesame Street with my 2 year-old on my knee. Clifford's on next and then maybe I'll throw a Bob the Builder DVD in the VHS/DVD player. I wish we had one of those in the minivan BTW.

Don't get me wrong, I like to watch my own stuff too. When there's not a Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins (or yes even the lowly Pirates) game on I've got tons of Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate SG-1 and Lord of the Rings DVDs or VHS tapes.

When my wife gets home we usually watch Food Network or whatever sitcom is on the big networks. I also like to watch the SyFy network but have been pissed at them ever since they canceled SG-1.

• Members

I watch a lot of sports, but only the games themselves - I can no longer tolerate Sportscenter or other sports news stuff.

Also, 30 Rock and The Office, Top Chef, HGTV, reruns of the Simpsons, Family Guy and Seinfeld.

Archived