What was the hardest chord to play when you first started playing?

KATMAN

• Members

I struggled with the dread F chord.I could not get it down,I was misserable and didn't play a song that had the F in it for almost a year.Now it's not a problem,I can play most normal chords and barre chords with ease.It's tough when you first start out,slowly changing chords while slowly singing out the song.It's just frustrating.Now that I'm older,I tune my guitar down a half step because I find it I sing better with it than playing in the key of C or F.It's not that I can't,I just prefer not to.What was your hardest chord to learn as a beginner?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried to play A the way the Mel Bay book said to... at the time... with a single finger. My finger won't bend that way. I finally gave up and did it my way. I used three fingers... as the current Mel Bay book says to do it now.

Oh, ANY barre chord was totally beyond me for years.

• Members

For your basic open chords, I'd say F. After 18 years of playing, I still don't play an F the way that books say. I play it X3321X or in full bar chord form.

Actually, I don't use the C bar chord at all, either. Probably should learn it, though.

• Members

The first chords I learned was the "power chord". As you know, the power chord is a simple barre chord. That is probably why I never had a problem with barre chords.

D minor and D7th in the open position were equally difficult for me in the beginning.

Archived