What was the hardest chord to play when you first started playing?

KATMAN

• Members
For your basic open chords, I'd say F. After 18 years of playing, I still don't play an F the way that books say. I play it X3321X or in full bar chord form.

Actually, I don't use the C bar chord at all, either. Probably should learn it, though.

Play it any way you want - whichever sounds best.

:idk:

That's kind of how I do it.

I might very well be wrong, though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I struggled with the dread F chord.I could not get it down,I was misserable and didn't play a song that had the F in it for almost a year.Now it's not a problem,I can play most normal chords and barre chords with ease.It's tough when you first start out,slowly changing chords while slowly singing out the song.It's just frustrating.Now that I'm older,I tune my guitar down a half step because I find it I sing better with it than playing in the key of C or F.It's not that I can't,I just prefer not to.What was your hardest chord to learn as a beginner?

A simple "F" chord...seems like it took forever to be able to cleanly (no buzz, no mutes) hold down two strings at the same time!

"Bb" was almost as bad, but once I conquered these two, the rest were fairly easy. :cool:

• Members
A simple "F" chord...seems like it took forever to be able to cleanly (no buzz, no mutes) hold down two strings at the same time!

"Bb" was almost as bad, but once I conquered these two, the rest were fairly easy.
:cool:

Terry,how true it is.To this day I don't play a simple F chord,I always barre it.

• Members

I tried to play A the way the Mel Bay book said to... at the time... with a single finger. My finger won't bend that way. I finally gave up and did it my way. I used three fingers... as the current Mel Bay book says to do it now. . . .

I was just the opposite. I could never get all three fingers between the two frets and make a clean chord. Barred versions like Bb were simply out of the question. A college friend taught me the one-finger method and I've been using it ever since. B7 was another. I still play a version that involves wrapping my thumb around the neck:

• Members

"Bb" was almost as bad, but once I conquered these two, the rest were fairly easy.
:cool:

Yup, the simple "F" chord was my nemesis for a good while. :)

• Members
+1 on the dreaded barre A shape!

:evil:

That's weird.

It was easier for me from the get-go to barre A w/ my middle finger than it was to try to fit three fingers inside that space at the second fret.

For the longest I thought I was doing it wrong - but it sounded good, so who cared?

• Members

The barre Bm was the hardest for me and I still have sort of a mental block with that one. After all these years, I still manage to screw it up more times than not, especially when fingerpicking and I need each string to sound clear and clean. :(

• Members

I hate to admit this but I just can't get into or out of an open G, using four fingers. I just use barre G all the time. It seems to work better for me anyway because as a fingerpicker there seem to be more useable notes in a barre G without moving any fingers around. To me some strings just don't sound good in an open G. (Obviously I have zero knowledge of music theory.)
Open G sounds better strummed than fingerpicked.

• Members

I hate to admit this but I just can't get into or out of an open G, using four fingers. I just use barre G all the time. It seems to work better for me anyway because as a fingerpicker there seem to be more useable notes in a barre G without moving any fingers around. To me some strings just don't sound good in an open G. (Obviously I have zero knowledge of music theory.)

Open G sounds better all the time to me. A barred G sounds compressed. I can also do more with an open G - hammer ons, pulloffs, etc.

• Members

You can also play a G chord as an Open G Chord. It is fingered as follows:

First finger, 2nd fret, third string.

Second finger; 3rd fret; 6th string.

Third finger; 3rd fret; 1st string.

• Members

Open G sounds better all the time to me. A barred G sounds compressed. I can also do more with an open G - hammer ons, pulloffs, etc.

I'm sure that you are correct. I would probably benefit greatly from some professional instruction. That is probably not the only thing that I do improperly. I'm just happy to produce sounds that are somewhat musical. This guitar playing stuff is harder than it looks.

Archived