So... First Act Amp Liquidation... Meh.

golias

• Members

Is a decent SS amp for under $200 really that big of a deal? I see at least one big, bulletproof SS Peavey show up on CL every week..usually for half that. Is it the extra wattage that's drawing you into the light bulb? I'm browsing around now and I'm seeing a lot of tube, SS and digital options for the $200 range. It sounds okay, but a Chinese First Act SS amp wouldn't be high on my list at that price.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats a valid point... an older Peavey Bandit can be had for about the same price as these amps and I know the Peavey's are pretty decent.

Strange thing is that I'm actually in the market for a higher wattage SS combo and I think I'm going to pass on these. As ridiculous as this sounds, I'm more interested in the current Crate Flexwaves :poke:

On old thread on TGP from 2006 revealed the retail price to be $630 for the 75 watter and $140 for the big footswitch.

But you are correct in that the amp is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I just feel sorry for the guys who paid full price when they first came out.

True dat!!

Is a decent SS amp for under $200 really that big of a deal? I see at least one big, bulletproof SS Peavey show up on CL every week..usually for half that. Is it the extra wattage that's drawing you into the light bulb? I'm browsing around now and I'm seeing a lot of tube, SS and digital options for the $200 range. It sounds okay, but a Chinese First Act SS amp wouldn't be high on my list at that price.

Nothings a big deal if it sounds like {censored}, granted.

But from my testing it out at their store, I felt they sounded excellent and had some interesting features that were a bargain at that price. I can honestly say that at the old price I wouldn't have hit them because I could have gotten a really good tube amp for not much more.

It's all relative. For anyone needing a bedroom amp or a good backup amp, this is a no-brainer. Besides, when I get it home, I may even think it's good enough to gig with as well.

• Members

I looked at them, but I just don't need another amp. I am assuming that the analog v-stack thing just means that it doesn't do any A>D/D>A processing. Basically it is solid state.

I hate missing out on great deals and stuff and the foot controller is frickin sweet, looks like the whole thing is pretty well made too. I just didn't get all juiced watching the youtube clips because there was just too much delay used on everything. I'd really love to see this thing run through the whole gammet of sounds, just by itself.

Anyway, I hope that everyone is happy with their purchases, I just won't be playing along with this one...again. ;)

• Members

On old thread on TGP from 2006 revealed the retail price to be $630 for the 75 watter and $140 for the big footswitch.

But you are correct in that the amp is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I just feel sorry for the guys who paid full price when they first came out.

Those were the true street prices, not retail. So the true street price of the ensemble was $770, versus $150 now, i.e. 80% off original street price.

Someone mentioned a lower price, but that wasn't street price, that was the blowout price at one of the few retailers who carried them. It was probably a onesie or twosie, and it was probably just around their cost.

One look at the innards of this thing, and you realize this is not craptoid Crate amp. This is not Crate budget stuff with an inflated list price.

The guys who started V-stack, and who designed this thing (before and then after First Act bought them) originally intended this amp to have a HIGHER street price. But that's the difference between a boutique brand and a volume merchandizer. They were surprised when First Act announced their pricing.

My big question is: Who thought that tremelo would be the best use of the third effect? I can think of a dozen effects I'd rather have than tremelo!

• Members

It's the reputation of the V-Stack pedals that got me. Those pedals are coveted. The same technology was built into the amps. Plus, the 9-button footswitch operation of the VA881 will make it incredibly versatile and easy to use. And, I have a feeling this is going to trump the typical $200 cheap SS amps I've tried. Also, you can pull the rack mount part out and use it alone or use the speaker cabinet by itself. It's full of win!

• Members

My big question is: Who thought that tremelo would be the best use of the third effect? I can think of a dozen effects I'd rather have than tremelo!

Im ok with the trem - but I do hope this amp will take pedals as well as I think it should.

• Members
(Starting a new thread based on the amps people are talking about in the Hot Deals thread. Don't want to get FUBTAG'd for chitter-chatter over there.)

So, sure, it's exciting that these amps, which recently cost a few hundred bucks, are going so cheap.

But at the end of the day, it's just a little solid-state combo. Doesn't everybody already have one of those?

I mean, for a little more money, why not just snag a Valve Jr. or a Fender Champion?

Or for that matter, maybe try to score a used Classic!
:love:

Am I alone in thinking that, like the H&K liquidation a few months ago, this is nothing to do cartwheels over? You can pretty much always buy a LOT of amp for not a lot of money these days.

Besides, it's not like any amp that says "First-Act" on the front is ever going to have any resale value.

Or am I missing something extra-crucial about these amps that has everybody GASsing for them?

you made a thread just to bitch about what other people are buying?

• Members

No less than Jim Campilongo states that he needs (that he's "addicted to") reverb, and says that every amp should have tremolo, and wonders why some amps don't. (Aproximately 4:55)

[YOUTUBE]gHVG4kDurtY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

It's the reputation of the V-Stack pedals that got me. Those pedals are coveted. The same technology was built into the amps. Plus, the 9-button footswitch operation of the VA881 will make it incredibly versatile and easy to use. And, I have a feeling this is going to trump the typical $200 cheap SS amps I've tried. Also, you can pull the rack mount part out and use it alone or use the speaker cabinet by itself. It's full of win!

Right. The rave reviews of the V-stack pedals, which is the technology you're buying here, have been overlooked. Check out the pedal reviews in the following link...amazingly positive.

Here, you're essentially getting a multi-effects v-stack rack component and a 12" speaker for less than the cost of one of those v-stack pedals.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews//brand/V-Stack

• Members

Like what?

I MUST have reverb. It'll be nice to have Echo. And I'll appreciate the Tremolo for hte oppurtunity to really have a nice one, but I rarely use it, and I like having it as a selling point if/when I do sell it.

But I can't think of anything else to put in there other than Chorus or a Flanger, neither of which I use.

I like a lot of choices made on these things.

I REALLY can't wait to get it (them). :D

• Members

I guess she would be the ideal woman. She would probably look forward to the UPS guy or Fed Ex guy as much as we do. You'd come home from work and say honey Im home. Then she will say "guess what you got ANOTHER package today. I saw it was a First Act amp and I opened it and have been playing it for the last 2 hours, hope you don't mind." haha

• Members

Golias is a woman? All this time I thought she was a he and that he was a cool dude. Is it even possible for a woman to get GAS? Seems to defy logic.

A good day job, and no kids. It leaves me with lots of money for toys. I've long since discovered that really good equipment makes me sound like a much better guitar player than I actually am. If I plug my Gibby into my Classic 50 and crank it up, I can bust out just a few notes of some lame Joan Jett song (or whatever) and enjoy the sound every bit as much as anything coming out of the radio.

I realize some of you think of guitars and amps as something of a "boy's club" obsession. But it's not like I'm the only girl here.

• Members

I see. I wasn't familiar with the V-Stack technology.

• Members

I pulled the trigger on the 70 watt + foot switch yesterday. I'm in the market for a SS home practice amp anyway, so what have I got to lose at that price? If it sucks, I'll sell it for probably close to what I paid and buy a Vox.

This is the second HCEG-induced super-deal impulse buy I've made over the years. Previous was the $99 Agile Valkyrie. Glad I jumped on that one.

• Members

I haven't heard the amps. But they were made and designed by the V-Stack people. The V-Stack pedals I HAVE heard and played and they actually sound superb.

If the amps sound anything like the pedals which they were designed to do, the amp will sound great as well. EVEN if it is Solid State technology.

BTW, if anyone has already posted this, I am sorry, I haven't read the whole thread yet.

Gary

Archived