So... First Act Amp Liquidation... Meh.

golias

Hmm a nice guitar and amp for under $200..... hmmmm

Just to let you know. I went down to the First Act Studio here in Boston. I loved the Westerberg (got it) and I loved how it sounded with the 30 watt V-Stack amp (got it, will pick it up Monday) I will be thinning the herd to make room for them. (Really low on funds.) Plus, it's become a space issue for me.

The Westerberg has a bound neck, a terrific tone contral, a Gibson sized neck... can go from a bassy smooth sweet tone that's jazzy to a more trebly rawkus distortion with this setup very nicely. The amp comes with a footpedal that turns the effects on and off.

Stay tuned!

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So again I was playing the Lola. How that damn guitar has such a pull on me with all the OTHER gits that are here is somewhat amazing.

I put Fat Pats in it, and a .022 orange drop. I just spent the last hour exploring the "tone all the way down" zone. hmmmmmm yummmy.

Until the Jehovah Witnesses interrupted me. :mad:

I'm pretty anti-social in person. I don't want a phone call from people I don't know, and I sure don't want visitors, regardless of their message.

But boy do I love that Lola. :D

• Members

BTW I played the Henry Garza $5000 guitar which is as beautiful sounding and playing as it is ugly!

henryguitar.jpg

The pickups and response on this guitar are amazing!

They covered the construction of that guitar for DIY's Handmade music series a couple years ago, guess he didn't like it...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_other/article/0,,DIY_14443_4838683,00.html

They covered the construction of that guitar for DIY's Handmade music series a couple years ago, guess he didn't like it...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_other/article/0,,DIY_14443_4838683,00.html

She ain't pretty! That's for sure. It also had more of a Gibson-like neck than a Fender which I would have that would throw Henry off. But the pickups tones and are rich with a very sweet bottom. I also think it sounds more like an LP than a strat! At the very least, it didn't sound stratty to me.

and BTW - I mispoke earlier or in another thread. Having just played the Westerberg, I can safely say that they have not had anything in Walmart as good as this guitar. It has a sweet tele vibe and is incredibly playable and substantial. $89 is silly money for it.

• Members

I just bought the First Act VA881 75-watt 1X12" Deluxe Amp + VFC002 V-stack Foot Controller (Large). With shipping and everything I paid $186.21. :) Ironically, this is almost exactly what I paid for my 3/5 watt Blackheart Little Giant mini stack. I'm going to sell the BH LG to pay for this FA amp.

There's nothing wrong with the BH, but I think the SS FA will be a much better and versatile practice amp setup for the same dollar. Plus, I've always wanted to own a good SS amp ever since owning a crap Crate as a beginner in the late 80's. I actually did own a simple Marshall Valvestate practice amp after that, but I sold it when I bought my 60 watt Fender Blues Deville 410.

• Members

Just to let you know. I went down to the First Act Studio here in Boston. I loved the Westerberg (got it) and I loved how it sounded with the 30 watt V-Stack amp (got it, will pick it up Monday) I will be thinning the herd to make room for them. (Really low on funds.) Plus, it's become a space issue for me.

The Westerberg has a bound neck, a terrific tone contral, a Gibson sized neck... can go from a bassy smooth sweet tone that's jazzy to a more trebly rawkus distortion with this setup very nicely. The amp comes with a footpedal that turns the effects on and off.

Stay tuned!

holy crap i was there when you were finishing up. i tried your amp but decided to go with the 75 watter because I sold off all of my gear to go to college and need something besides my microcube.

I'm probably the only big replacements fan under 30 and really wanted the westerberg but since I just bought an SX tele decided to hold off. I didn't plug the westerberg in but it felt great.

the worst part was carrying a 60 pound amp 1/2 a mile back to my apartment. my forearms are still hurting.

• Members

Stay tuned!

Hey Frets - so how big was the 75watt amp? Did you check that one out?

EDIT: Ah I see the last post said 60lbs.

• Members

holy crap i was there when you were finishing up. i tried your amp but decided to go with the 75 watter because I sold off all of my gear to go to college and need something besides my microcube.

I'm probably the only big replacements fan under 30 and really wanted the westerberg but since I just bought an SX tele decided to hold off. I didn't plug the westerberg in but it felt great.

the worst part was carrying a 60 pound amp 1/2 a mile back to my apartment. my forearms are still hurting.

How do the lead (OD) channels sound?

What a small world!!!:lol:

• Members

Hey Frets - so how big was the 75watt amp? Did you check that one out?

you could have just asked me jerkface...

it's like 60 pounds and 20"x24"x11". it's heavier and louder than I thought it was going to be. It actually feels like a quality product. I worked at a sam ash for a couple years and you could feel the cheapness in a lot of low-end gear but this thing looks/feels/sounds classy.

• Members

it's like 60 pounds and 20"x24"x11". it's heavier and louder than I thought it was going to be. It actually feels like a quality product. I worked at a sam ash for a couple years and you could feel the cheapness in a lot of low-end gear but this thing looks/feels/sounds classy.

Cool, thanks dickweed. :D

I'm feeling the love tonight! :D Even the lower wattage amps sounded excellent. I played on the 50 and the 30 and enjoyed them equally. They appear to have an interesting feature as well. You can choose the level of gain and use a master volume. There is also a rotary dial that dials in a loud, louder, loudest and extreme setting beyond that so that you can choose the tone you like and theoretically not lose the tone while cycling from bedroom level to gig level. Again, at that price, a complete no-brainer.

• Members

Is the 70 watt going to be too much for home/living room/bedroom playing? I've never had a SS amp over 15 watts.

Any ideas if I'll be able to get sweet tones at low volumes? Something like this shouldn't need to be cranked to sound good, should it?

I was thinking about a Vox AD30VT or the new VT30... but will this fit the bill?

• Members
(Starting a new thread based on the amps people are talking about in the Hot Deals thread. Don't want to get FUBTAG'd for chitter-chatter over there.)

So, sure, it's exciting that these amps, which recently cost a few hundred bucks, are going so cheap.

But at the end of the day, it's just a little solid-state combo. Doesn't everybody already have one of those?

I mean, for a little more money, why not just snag a Valve Jr. or a Fender Champion?

Or for that matter, maybe try to score a used Classic!
:love:

Am I alone in thinking that, like the H&K liquidation a few months ago, this is nothing to do cartwheels over? You can pretty much always buy a LOT of amp for not a lot of money these days.

Besides, it's not like any amp that says "First-Act" on the front is ever going to have any resale value.

Or am I missing something extra-crucial about these amps that has everybody GASsing for them?

I agree as well......cheap piece of {censored} that would be ok if you need an amp that can be played in bedroom.

MEH.

• Members

The "theory" behind cranking amps comes from the tube world. To start getting distortion you need to drive the plate voltage high enough that the tube starts to saturate. SS amps have a separate gain stage implemented in TTL as either transistors or opamps that doesn't require high voltages to distort.

Of course if you're looking for a clean tone, either will do at bedroom volumes. I have a 100 watt SS 2x10 that sounds great at low volume.

• Members

The "theory" behind cranking amps comes from the tube world. To start getting distortion you need to drive the plate voltage high enough that the tube starts to saturate. SS amps have a separate gain stage implemented in TTL as either transistors or opamps that doesn't require high voltages to distort.

Of course if you're looking for a clean tone, either will do at bedroom volumes. I have a 100 watt SS 2x10 that sounds great at low volume.

Thanks!

• Members

^ Actually, I'm sure the VA881 is going to be a great bedroom amp....that's part of the appeal of SS for me. But, with the 9-button foot controller it will likely be gig worthy as well. Talk about easy setup and powerful features...XLR out right to the board! :eek: And, from what I've found, this was selling in stores for $579 (not including pedal)....hardly sounds like a toy to me.

• Members

I think I'll pass on this SS amp. I'm thinking as we get closer to the holiday season, there will be much better deals out there.

Hmm - an ~ $800 amp for $120. Me thinks the only better deal would be them giving them away with free delivery.

Even better - they pay you to take them off their hands LOL.

Not gonna happen IMO.

• Members
Hmm - an ~ $800 amp for $120. Me thinks the only better deal would be them giving them away with free delivery.

Even better - they pay you to take them off their hands LOL.

Not gonna happen IMO.

Ever think people put outrageous prices on things, only to make us feel that we are getting such a great deal when they mark it down??:poke:

The amps are interesting, but really, who would pay $800+ for one???:facepalm:

Archived