So... First Act Amp Liquidation... Meh.

golias

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bigger VA881, there is only a gain knob for each amp type. On the 850 and 851 there is a selector for the amp type and then a 4 position switch for gain level. Perhaps that works better for cleans? What do you say Frets?

I only played on the 850 and 851. And I think the cleans are sweet on those!! Since I just use a touch of reverb to sweeten the tone, I don't even mind the relatively week reverb. I guess it depends on how much headroom there would be in the 881. Having gain, volume, and gain stage knobs may allow for more relative headroom on the smaller amps. I couldn't say.

• Members
well, that would be someone who needs it.

That's what I was thinking as well.

As someone who was on the outisde looking in and had the damn thing in my cart about 4 different occassions I learned something about myself. I learned that just because something is a good deal or even great deal doesn't mean that I have to buy it. I've always been really good at not overpaying for a lot of things, but I had started down a path of 'buying {censored} for the sake of buying {censored}'. And I don't say {censored} as derogatory towards the amp in question; I just mean stuff.

This is going to turn into one of those things that really was a good deal, but a lot of people bought them just because and they realized they don't really need it. I won't say that about everyone and I am not judging anyone, but I know that frickin cycle and I'm really trying to break it.

This {censored}ing place man, it' a no wonder that MF hosts this forum because more {censored} gets bought because someone else bought it and tons of other people see it and want it. I'm done doing that from now on.

Yeah, I'm {censored}ing broke and bitter about it. :lol:

• Members

Just my .02 I purchased the VA851 and don't regret it I posted a review a few weeks ago.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182169

I cannot, even with 38 years of playing behind me, justify purchasing an expensive tube amplifier. I would love to hear the sweet chimey tone of my old Marshall 50 watt combo. However, I also remember that night that the tubes gave out in the middle of a gig and an old solid state Traynor carried the band through the last set of the night. For $100.00 + shipping the First Act is hard for someone like me to pass up. In addition I have a 16 year old son that plays constantly. Once the First Act is set, it sounds great, carries over the drums, and the tubes will never blow out. I spent $99.00 on the Tubescreamer reissue I purchased 4 years ago. So relatively speaking the First Act is an inexpensive purchase. I agree not a good purchase for everyone, for me it made sense.

• 3 months later...

Archived