So... First Act Amp Liquidation... Meh.

golias

• Members

I have a collection of tube and solid state amps. Each has their place and is just another tool in my sonic tool-kit.

Are these worth $800? I have no idea as I've not had a chance to check one out, nor am I in the market. I've bought too many amps lately. But I tend to defer to Frets as he's an even cheaper bastard than I and has had a chance to hear one and says they're good.

Manufacturers don't tend to develop a product and bring it to market at an inflated price just to have to blow them out later so they can lose money. Not a winning business strategy IME.

Selling prices are usually based on 3 to 5 times cost - 10 at the very most and that's only in areas like pharmaceuticals and military. As a product designer I would guess the price they're asking for these is either at or below their cost, once you consider R&D, tooling, manufacture and packaging.

These amps are not for everybody - nothing is - but for those looking for a feature laden SS amp with lots of power for very little coin, I defy you to point to one that's selling for less.

Damn, those POS Drive amps were selling for about the same and you guy's were all over those.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just ordered a second FA VA881 & Foot Controller. $186.21 delivered. I'm going to run them in stereo for the ultimate bedroom rig! :facepalm:

I think I might need an intervention. Damn the HCEG GAS! :lol:

:D

http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/VA881-75-watt-1X12-Deluxe-Amp,564,143.aspx
http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/VFC002-V-stack-Foot-Controller-Large,567,143.aspx

• Members

Wow, that was close!
I almost ordered one, got to the confirmation page, saw they added sales tax to my order making it 197 and some change, and thankfully, that stopped me.

After posting in the HotDeals thread that they didn't sound that great in the one video link posted, someone posted about the NAMM video and that did sound a lot better, and with comments from Frets who tried one.....and it does sound like such a good deal.
But thankfully, just that little bit of extra charge brought me to my senses. I so DON'T need another amp. I'm happy with what I've got and I just sold off a few, with one still for sale tryng to thin out, and I'm going to buy another? And considering that I seem to have a hard time selling anything, always usually end up taking a loss, I don't want to buy something I already know will be difficult to sell if I ever decided to. Many of us may know that there are two First Acts, dept store and higher end, but as we often see here on HC, a LOT of people don't know that and won't even accept it as fact from people who actually own the higher end models.

So all of you who have bought one, ENJOY!!
I'm enjoying the personal victory of not buying more gear I don't need just because it's good and a deal (deals - my biggest downfall when resisting GAS - and I did it!).

• Members
Wow, that was close!

I almost ordered one, got to the confirmation page, saw they added sales tax to my order making it 197 and some change, and thankfully, that stopped me.

After posting in the HotDeals thread that they didn't sound that great in the one video link posted, someone posted about the NAMM video and that did sound a lot better, and with comments from Frets who tried one.....and it does sound like such a good deal.

But thankfully, just that little bit of extra charge brought me to my senses. I so DON'T need another amp. I'm happy with what I've got and I just sold off a few, with one still for sale tryng to thin out, and I'm going to buy another? And considering that I seem to have a hard time selling anything, always usually end up taking a loss, I don't want to buy something I already know will be difficult to sell if I ever decided to. Many of us may know that there are two First Acts, dept store and higher end, but as we often see here on HC, a LOT of people don't know that and won't even accept it as fact from people who actually own the higher end models.

I'm enjoying the personal victory of not buying more gear I don't need just because it's good and a deal (deals - my biggest downfall when resisting GAS - and I did it!).

Good discipline. :thu:

However, deals like this just don't come along very often. I dont think one would have a hard time selling this amp to minimize a loss. Kinda like the '51 Squiers that got blown out for chump change.

• Members
Good discipline.
:thu:
However, deals like this just don't come along very often. I dont think one would have a hard time selling this amp to minimize a loss. Kinda like the '51 Squiers that got blown out for chump change.

And I ended up selling both my 51s.......
It's the deals that bite me every time and give me my hardest time resisting gas. But I've been doing it with guitars, passing on deals and passing them on to others - this one is still tough to pass on, the resale thing is what's saved me here. No matter how cheap these are selling for, because of the name, it will be difficult to sell if I ever decided to (I know that, and I'm one who knows that First Act makes good stuff).

• Members

Hey Frets, is there really not much difference between the 30 and 50-watt amps? You said you liked them equally. I'd like to pick up the 30 for a bedroom amp because of the smaller size and price, but I have a hard time thinking that moving from a 10" to 12" speaker on the 50 wouldn't be a significant improvement!

Hey Frets, is there really not much difference between the 30 and 50-watt amps? You said you liked them equally. I'd like to pick up the 30 for a bedroom amp because of the smaller size and price, but I have a hard time thinking that moving from a 10" to 12" speaker on the 50 wouldn't be a significant improvement!

I think they both sound excellent but you can use the 50 in the bedroom and with a drummer. I also think they both sound good at lower volumes as well.

• Members
Wow, that was close!

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger as well. Even got the go ahead from my fiance. But I decided that I really ought to spend more time playing my Champ and tweaking my Digitech Rp150. After spending an hour doing that, I created a bunch of settings I liked and was pretty happy. GAS averted. :)

• Members
I'm cracking up at all these "GAS averted" proclamations. More like GAS averted until the next cool thing comes along. It's like an alcoholic saying "I was strong enough today to not have one Scotch" while drinking a beer.
:D

Yeah, that's money that's just going elsewhere... :p

• Members

BTW, it seems that the big foot control only works with the 75 watter. The other two amps are 9 pin and must use the smaller footswitch. The 75 watt has a mid control, the others only base and treble. I just ordered the 50 watter and the footswitch:thu: My wife is going to KILL ME!

BTW, it seems that the big foot control only works with the 75 watter. The other two amps are 9 pin and must use the smaller footswitch. The 75 watt has a mid control, the others only base and treble. I just ordered the 50 watter and the footswitch:thu: My wife is going to KILL ME!

I hadda show mine the stuff I was getting rid of!!! Honest honey, it's like an upgrade!! You know. Like new shoes! :p

• Members
I hadda show mine the stuff I was getting rid of!!! Honest honey, it's like an upgrade!! You know. Like new shoes!
:p

Frets, I think I'm safe, My wife left yesterday for a weekend scrapbooking event at a local hotel. If my math is right, she's spent around $300.00 or better! I only have two amps, so I'm fine. I will be unloading 2 or 3 of the First Act guitars I got as part of a trade. Gotta keep the wifey's in the loop!

• Members

Hmm - an ~ $800 amp for $120. Me thinks the only better deal would be them giving them away with free delivery.

Even better - they pay you to take them off their hands LOL.

Not gonna happen IMO.

$800 list price is just so bogus. The true value of that amp is what they are "on sale" for.

• Members

$800 list price is just so bogus. The true value of that amp is what they are "on sale" for.

Show me a list price on anything that isn't bogus.

The truth is, this kind of chump change 99.9% of the time puts you in ghetto Crate territory.

• Members

On old thread on TGP from 2006 revealed the retail price to be $630 for the 75 watter and $140 for the big footswitch.

But you are correct in that the amp is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I just feel sorry for the guys who paid full price when they first came out.

Archived