So... First Act Amp Liquidation... Meh.

golias

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What did you think of the so-called analog tube modeling? Did it live up to the hype?

i thought it sounded pretty good at higher volumes, but that doesn't really help with the reason you would get this rather than a tube amp, especially at the original price.

If someone is trying to decide between this and a Crate V-18, I'd say the FA is a better deal.

• Members

That's a helluva lot of amp for very little coin. Not every application requires tubes - SS stuff has it's place and a 75watt 1x12 combo with those features for $120 is silly cheap IMHO.

I am considering a second one to run in stereo.

• Members

So what's the deal? Are they in financial trouble or just clearing out the warehouse?

I called them and couldn't get any solid answers other than they are closing out the line. First Act really needs to hire a new marketing manager. Seriously, I have never even seen an add for one of these (or really any First Act products) in any gear magazine and they're not carried in any local shops nor online stores that I frequent (believe me there are quite a few).

I'm definately going to buy at least one, be on the watch for a FG review, though it will probably occur after they've long been sold out.

• Members

I called them and couldn't get any solid answers other than they are closing out the line. First Act really needs to hire a new marketing manager. Seriously, I have never even seen an add for one of these (or really any First Act products) in any gear magazine and they're not carried in any local shops nor online stores that I frequent (believe me there are quite a few).

I'm definately going to buy at least one, be on the watch for a FG review, though it will probably occur after they've long been sold out.

I've seen a few adverts in Premier Guitar but nothing like other manufacturers.

I wondered if they are going more of a high end custom shop kinda company.

• Members

touche. it is likely this is made in china. i coudl not find info on the first act website about country of origin though. their FA guitars are made in USA (at least some are) so i am holding out hope.

Per TGP links posted:

"They will be built in China. Lots of things are built in China and these will be built well. You can have good, cheap, and fast, but only two. if we built them in the USA they would be twice the money and then everyone would complain about price wouldn't they?"

• Members

I've seen a few adverts in Premier Guitar but nothing like other manufacturers.

I wondered if they are going more of a high end custom shop kinda company.

I believe they're following the Danelectro/Valco business model - that is - they do the bulk of their business supplying the large chain stores, which do their own advertising, and supplement that with some mid to high level offerings they channel directly to the market. I hear good things about their high-end gear, but the stigma of being carried in Toys R Us tends to turn the cork-sniffers off and they have difficulty building cred. That's my take FWIW.

• Members

I believe they're following the Danelectro/Valco business model - that is - they do the bulk of their business supplying the large chain stores, which do their own advertising, and supplement that with some mid to high level offerings they channel directly to the market. I hear good things about their high-end gear, but the stigma of being carried in Toys R Us tends to turn the cork-sniffers off and they have difficulty building cred. That's my take FWIW.

I'd say your take is pretty close to the truth.

• Members

Man, what a feeding frenzy! Sure gets my GAS juices flowing...

But I'm resisting (so far...) because I don't actually NEED another amp, SS or otherwise (yes, SS has its place, but tube is where my heart is these days), and ~$100 is still ~$100.

Yeah, re-sale is less of a concern at those prices, but for me it's still a concern, don't have a lot of disposable income right now. Basically, I'm sticking by a one-in, one-out gear policy; if I can't get that one-out without significant loss... and I don't know about you guys, but craigslist hasn't been kind to me in recent days - definitely working harder to unload gear.

And glad to hear that the Pignose folk consider them spectacular deals in retrospect - always nice to have a happy ending.

Archived