Man hangs flag upside down, cops come in and remove it

Phait

• Members

Bul{censored}.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090710/ap_on_re_us/us_upside_down_flag

And even whether you agree with his action or not, the police reaction is crossing the line. Just like how cops can now, without warrant, attach GPS receivers to your car without notice, and without even any real reason. Now if you don't do anything bad what's to worry, right? Besides the point. It's a civil liberties issue.

I'm not sure using the upside down flag symbol for his particular case was necessary, but it was within his right certainly.

Kinda funny how both these things happen in the state where I live. I certainly don't hate cops, don't get me wrong (once considered being one). This isn't a police issue so much but whoever/whatever is above them and in charge. Aggravating.

An American flag flown upside down as a protest in a northern Wisconsin village was seized by police before a Fourth of July parade and the businessman who flew it

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a huge huge patriot and hanging the flag upside down means nation in distress which i agree with but I also have to say it's not illegal to do so. Jack boot Thug police violating someone's constitutional rights which by the way, they swear to uphold, is despicable. Those cops are probably so stupid they actually thought it was illegal. I hope the person that got arrested wins a huge judgement.

• Members

Those cops are probably so stupid they actually thought it was illegal.

It is illegal, in that it violates laws regarding the proper display of flags, but it is not criminal, and there are no sanctions provided in the law for violating it.

• Members

One of my friends had a patch with an upside down flag on his jacket and the cops pulled us over and beat the {censored} out of him.:facepalm:

Also once we got caught dumpster diving and they made us get down on our knees and pointed guns at the back of our heads :D. (dumpster diving is however illegal)

• Members

the US flag is a religion in itself.

Yeah, man. You Americans sure are touchy when it comes to the flag. I mean it's a {censored}ing flag. Give me a God damn break.

Then again it was a small hick-ish town, so one can't really expect too much in the way of logic and reasoning.

Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey. Neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief. "I said, 'What are you doing?' Klein said. "They said, 'It is none of your business.'"

The next day, police returned the flag. Brey declined comment Friday. Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July. "It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

It's a distress signal, and according to them, not illegal to fly it upside down - if "it's illegal to cause a disruption" is all they have to try to justify confiscating his flag, I don't think they'll win in court. :idk:

• Members

It is illegal, in that it violates laws regarding the proper display of flags, but it is not criminal, and there are no sanctions provided in the law for violating it.

Do you even know what you just said? Totally contradicted yourself in one sentence. It's constitutional to hang the flag any {censored}ing way you want and since the constitution supersedes any and all bull{censored} local ordinances and laws that uneducated, control hungry pieces of {censored} can pass, I would have to go with it's legal. PERIOD. If they try to say it's a distraction and therefore illegal..That loophole ain't gonna work and has been shot down in Supreme court. Oh, our rights are eroding right in front of us, I will grant you that but they aren't all gone yet.

• Members

Too many have died for the flag. Better men than me. It should be respected.

That is just it. The flag is the symbol of our way of life, so when someone dies fighting for our flag, they are fighting for our way of life. So too many have died so that we can enjoy a freedom that is so ingrained in us, we do not even think about it.

That is why people are always going to have a problem when someone disrespects that flag. It symbolizes so many things not the least of which are all the sacrifices Americans have made for this country.

• Members

Too many have died for the flag. Better men than me. It should be respected.

I agree with the Canadian in a previous post -- it's just a flag. Only because we have it drummed into us from a young age is such nationalistic fervor created. I think it's silly to have such reverence to a piece of cloth. Then again, I am not one who loves everything the U.S. government has done... and it's getting worse. When I was a young man, I was very patriotic. Now, I find U.S. policies very suspect. The way a lot of people view it, we should all salute. What's next?

• Members

The police, by their behavior, proved his point: That what the flag STANDS FOR - that is, the United States of America, as defined by its constitution - is in immediate distress, and were there an international law organization worthy of the name, it would be appropriate for them to step in and insist that American authorities obey American and international law.

• Members

The guy who flew it upside-down is a marine who served in Iraq. I'm sure he has more integrity in his little finger than that of all of the people who hassled him.

I think if someone is willing to serve the country symbolized by the flag, he has a unique perspective on the situation and should be allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants.

Remember, it was the army that stood up to McCarthy in the 50s. If you want to get conspiratorial about all this, it's disturbing that more and more protective functions are being farmed out to mercenary contractors who don't have the same kind of allegiance to the people that the army does.

• Members

The FLAG is not an American.

It is a SYMBOL. Nothing more. Would I hang a flag upside down? Probably not...However, neither would I someone or impede them fro hanging one in protest. Our individual rights for speech and peacable demonstration are the CORE of America. Our armed forces folks KICK ASS for US, not the Flag that represents US.

The cops, and anyone who agrees with them apparently have forgotten that, but, especially with the cops, there seems to be a trend toward them doing whatever they want, and THAT is a trend towards civil uprising.

• Members

Free Speech - yup, I'm for it.

Flag Display - as speech - yup, I know all about it.

Planning a restaurant without a liquor license. Yeah, that's probably amateurish.

Alienating your customers and neighbors in a TOWN OF 1000 PEOPLE by claiming that the constitution is in distress because you can't get a liquor license is moronic.

If you are going to run a restaurant in a TOWN OF 1000 PEOPLE you had better know every damn one of them by their nickname. That might have been a better way to keep his business out of bankruptcy. That and a BYOB policy.

Why is this story getting play and this story not so much?

The unclassified summary by five inspectors general from government intelligence agencies called the arrangements "extraordinary and inappropriate" and said White House secrecy "undermined" the ability of the Justice Department to do its work.

The report is the first public sign of a long-running investigative review of a program that provoked fierce conflict within the highest levels of the Bush administration in 2004.

At the time, Justice's second in command and the FBI director both vowed to resign if President George W. Bush continued with electronic intelligence-gathering that they believed was outside the boundaries of the law.

• Members

I disagree.

And I will defend your right to disagree. But in the mean time - let's all read how to get a liquor license in Wisconsin. It requires the ability to file, and the cooperation of your neighbors.

Edit: but I do wish that I had used the word "stupid" instead of moronic. Stupid conveys not paying attention. The other is really just name calling, and not appropriate on a lot of levels.

• Members

Free Speech - yup, I'm for it.

Flag Display - as speech - yup, I know all about it.

Planning a restaurant without a liquor license. Yeah, that's probably amateurish.

Alienating your customers and neighbors in a TOWN OF 1000 PEOPLE by claiming that the constitution is in distress because you can't get a liquor license is moronic.

riiiiiiiiight....

• Members

I think this is a first - bu tI agree with the cops.

A flag flown upside down is the communication for distress and a request for help. He was not in distress ... no ....if he was being held hostage by guys in the store. .....

anyway, on with life.

Archived