Man hangs flag upside down, cops come in and remove it

Phait

• Members
Too bad reading comprehension is not among your passions.

I would so enjoy this discourse face to face. I served with the 1/75th Ranger Rgt. 89-91. Did 2 years of my 4 due to training injury which was quite common in the unit I served with. Where did you serve? I'll fly my flag however I wish. I'm sure you understand. :wave:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wow so much propoganda in one post. amazing.

i agree. Does the american flag stand for the freedom of dead native americans who had their culture, land, and way of life stripped away from them? or just plain killed? THAT is the kind of "freedom" the country was built on.

~mike~

• Members
I would so enjoy this discourse face to face. I served with the 1/75th Ranger Rgt. 89-91. Did 2 years of my 4 due to training injury which was quite common in the unit I served with. Where did you serve? I'll fly my flag however I wish. I'm sure you understand.
:wave:

1/320th FA , 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, KY

Got my Air Assault wings, too.

I enjoyed my time in and learned a lot. Not my type of lifestyle, but I did benefit from the experience.

• Members
To many, the flag is a symbol of freedom, of the USA. I`m not going to go back and forth with you, just realize you have absolutely no idea what the price of freedom is. No idea.

Just keep typing away Phait.
:thu:

Not sure how my statement reflects I have no clue about the price of freedom. I'm just speaking technically, if that's the right word.

• Members
I would so enjoy this discourse face to face. I served with the 1/75th Ranger Rgt. 89-91. Did 2 years of my 4 due to training injury which was quite common in the unit I served with. Where did you serve? I'll fly my flag however I wish. I'm sure you understand.
:wave:

Rangers lead the way.

I decided, very late in high school, not to pursue a military career.

The fact that you think this has anything to do with any of my previous posts only serves to underscore your comprehension issues.

• Members

"It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said.

That law seems so vague that it could be applied to just about anything, in this case upsetting people counts as a disruption worthy of police intervention. If it's illegal to upset people then I hope police aren't reading internet forums...

• Members

1/320th FA , 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, KY

Got my Air Assault wings, too.

I enjoyed my time in and learned a lot. Not my type of lifestyle, but I did benefit from the experience.

Right on, I was there for PLDC. I had no regrets when I got out either. Wasn't planning on staying in so when I got hurt I had no problem moving back to civilian life.

• Members
Rangers lead the way.

I decided, very late in high school, not to pursue a military career.

The fact that you think this has anything to do with any of my previous posts only serves to underscore your comprehension issues.

Damn you are combative and I suspect angry. I think you need to get laid. :thu: That should calm you down son.

• Members

That law seems so vague that it could be applied to just about anything, in this case upsetting people counts as a disruption worthy of police intervention. If it's illegal to upset people then I hope police aren't reading internet forums...

I agree. If I fart really really loud in a theatre in Marinette County and the theatre is full and people start laughing and coughing from my immortal flatulence, does that mean I caused a disruption? And if so, should the cops be called and have me removed for eating too many chilli dogs earlier in the day?

• Members

My dad was the youngest person on his submarine during WW2. His best friend was on a different submarine which disappeared at sea. Hanging the flag upside down would have been a major and unnecessary insult to my dad. I would consider the person callas and uncaring. Putting his own agenda above the people who died for that flag.

The person who ordered the flag removed also had no idea what it means to the people who fought and died while considering it a symbol of their patriotism. In my view this person also made a mistake.

Everyone makes mistakes at some time. How you deal with mistakes supposedly builds character. For me, how you focus on mistakes reveals character. I notice some here are only focusing on the bad aspects of this episode. Bad citizen. Bad policeman. Bad America. Maybe worst of all, Bad forum member for supporting the other side.

Why rip each other apart over a situation where there is no clear right or wrong?

• Members

Hanging the flag upside down would have been a major and unnecessary insult to my dad. I would consider the person callas and uncaring. Putting his own agenda above the people who died for that flag.

It's all in perespectives. I see that display as an honor to those who died to protect our liberty. I see it as "it's about time" people start standing up for what's right.

You say no clear right or wrong, but the truth is the facts are showing a government out of control and that's the real wrong and the real injustice.

The VA was caught shredding veterans claims...and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the mistreatment of veterans by our federal government.

Just ask the VFW, etc...

• Members

Get your comments in now, because I can already see where Craig will probably decide this thread has run it's course. Thanks for letting it go until everybody had a chance to state their opinion.

I value everybody's opinion, including those that contradict mine, and just value the fact that we are able to have this discussion.

People need to discuss what is going on.

• Members

I been sailing my entire life. Upside down flag means distress. It's an S.O.S. It don't have anything to do with disrespect.

That said, I sure as {censored} wouldn't fly one unless there was real danger. Not even as a protest. Some might think there's actually a problem in the residence. I don't wanna cry wolf. If I wanna protest, I'm gonna do it in a way that a)matters, and b)will get something done.

• Members

That is just it. The flag is the symbol of our way of life, so when someone dies fighting for our flag, they are fighting for our way of life. So too many have died so that we can enjoy a freedom that is so ingrained in us, we do not even think about it.

That is why people are always going to have a problem when someone disrespects that flag. It symbolizes so many things not the least of which are all the sacrifices Americans have made for this country.

I'm sure the soldier knew all about that... considering he fought for it too. But this is America.. you do what you want, and say what you want. He didn't endanger a single person or infringe upon anyone else's rights.

• Members
I'm sure the soldier knew all about that... considering he fought for it too. But this is America.. you do what you want, and say what you want. He didn't endanger a single person or infringe upon anyone else's rights.

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

any way you slice that under the common law language that the Constitution was supposed to have been written all of that is Illegal, immoral and Unconstitutional. The fact that they are laws doesn't negate the fact that they are null and void. This is America and people need to wake up.

• Members
Damn you are combative and I suspect angry. I think you need to get laid.
:thu:
That should calm you down son.

Great. I have to appreciate your steadfastly supporting your tradition of not even tangentially addressing what I've written.

Go back. Read. Read as slowly as you need to. Your first response to my initial post, which was a simple statement of fact, was an obscenity laced tirade, largely unrelated to my post. Your response to my next post, which was, obviously curt, was another off-topic obsenity laced tirade. And so on.

Yes. I'm obviously combative and angry. It's me.

• Members

You say no clear right or wrong, but the truth is the facts are showing a government out of control and that's the real wrong and the real injustice.

But the method is like using a shotgun to shoot a criminal (government) in a crowd. You might hit the criminal, but a lot of other people are also going to get hurt. People may try to justify the actions by saying the criminal has to be stopped and there is no other way, but there is and innocent people do not have to be hurt. Think about it. When you do something to the flag who does it hurt the most, a politician or someone who lost a family member in the service?

• Members

OK. I'll weigh in. Haven't read all the posts, so apologies for that.

I can't see how anyone could support the cops' actions. The thread almost seems trollish because it's so clear that hanging the flag upside down is that man's right. Who could possibly disagree?

Those who fought for the flag fought for the right to hang it upside down. Fighting and dying for freedom of speech does not mean except for speech you don't like. Sacrificing for the flag includes sacrificing for the right to denigrate it, free from state retribution.

That doesn't take away everyone else's right to object, complain, debate, and exercise their right to speech. Think it's wrong? Express yourself with the same freedom exercised by the flag upside-downer, and try and change his mind.

But that doesn't give the cops the right to muzzle him.

Archived