not wiping down your favorite guitar with a microfiber after each use is like...

murdock

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never intentionally wash my hands before I play (unless I happen to have washed them for some other reason) and rarely wipe my guitar down after (unless something spills on it I guess). Man, some of you take this {censored} too seroiusly - it's just a guitar.

This

• Members

I wash my hands a lot throughout the course of the day and unless I've been working on something or just ate I'm not going to wash them before I play. My guitar collection value is all over the place and I don't discriminate or anything. I do clean them regularly, but I don't sit there and wipe them down in a vacuum environment everytime I touch one. The occasional wipe and then when it's string changing time they get the works which includes a good cleaning with naptha, frets polished, fretboard oiled if needed and a quick polish. They've all managed to stay in very good condition.

• Members

Even if I don't clean the body right away, I am very careful to clean the metal parts. Maybe I have acidic sweat, and when that is added to the climate here it is a sure cause of pitting, corrosion and rust on the tail pieces and chrome cases of humbuckers, tuning machines, etc. I don't feel like changing those out each time I change strings!

• Members

These guitars are made for playin And that's just what they'll do

One of these days these guitar Are gonna playin all over you

Yeah, you keep lyin' when you oughta be truthin'

And you keep losing when you oughta not bet

You keep samin' when you oughta be playin'

• Members

Somewhat on this subject, I had some good luck at putting some life back in the current set of strings on both my Fender and Hamer. Both sets were pretty well gone, oxydation, sweat, metal fatigue. On Sunday I slacked the strings, and used a small cotton t-shirt remnant soaked in rubbing alcohol to rub up and down the strings really thoroughly. Fingernail scrape and wipe and plenty of rubbing alcohol. Then, I took another remnant with a little bit of household oil soaked into it and gave the strings a light wipe end to end. Tune back up, and sounded about halfway back to new! Sometimes you need to save money and time, ya know?

• Members

Makes no sense not to. Its a tool, and it cost you money.... it litterally takes 20 seconds to give the strings and body a quick wipe. Keeps your metal parts from looking like {censored}, extends string life, and keeps sweaty/sticky spots from forming where your forearm touches.

I clean off my tools after fixing something, I clean my equipment after use at work. Its just preventative maintenance, and a little time goes a long way.

all my guitars are in the $1000-$2200 range now... I took care of all my cheap ones the same way though

• Members

I wash my hands before I play EVERY TIME.

I wipe my guitars down every time to try and keep 'em shiny.

Call me OCD or whatever... I'm not into the relic'd look and I hate smudges and grease on otherwise nice shiny chrome parts.

For example....... this just makes me wanna hurl:

DSC00090.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

Turn the flash off and you'll be fine ;)

• Members

How is keeping your guitar and strings clean OCD? We're not talking about 5 minutes worth of polishing, just a quick wipe to get the sweat and body oils off.

I've jammed with plenty of people in my time, and a lot of guys who have similar attitudes to a lot of you guys have the most distgusting feeling guitars.

Is flossing nightly OCD too? Its just preventative maintenance for your teeth and gums, but plenty of people dont do it either.

• Members

No, I don't wipe my guitars down after each use, I polish them up a couple of times a year instead. But I don't abuse or slobber on them either. Ultimately they get the care they keep without being overbearing.

And they are worth a hell of a lot more money that any mid-priced $1K guitar, and older and more delicate as well.

• Members

My guitars are in fantastic shape. Thank you.

Then again seeing some people's posts it seems like some people sweat sulfuric acid when they play. I def don't.

There are those whose sweat is very corrosive. I've run into them and they are very hard on hardware plating and non-poly finishes if they gig a lot.

• Members

About 20 years ago I brought my "road" guitar in for some service. Now...I'd had this particular electric guitar for 10 years and used it gigging constantly since it was my only one. It had 10 years worth of sweat, grime and crud on it. The tech was shocked beyond belief when he looked at my bridge and saddles (strat type) which were basically rusted (and crusted) into one solid piece of crud....:lol: The saddles were not movable! :freak:

I cannot wait for my new Squier CV50's BSB Tele to have the same amount of "mojo". ;)

• Members

ha reminds me of Tony Soprano in therapy: "This place is like taking a dump" "I think of it more like having a baby" " No, trust me-its like taking a {censored}"

So playing your guitar is equal to taking a {censored} or a Piss??

What other things do you "wipe down" after using them besides your ass?
:lol:

I rock dat {censored} and let the natural relicin' take it's course

• Members

With new strings I'm not too bothered about wiping them down within the first week or two of use. As soon as they tarnish a bit I'll start keeping them clean, wiping them after every session, and every now and then I'll use some alcohol, finishing off with some silicone spray (which also cleans the fretboard). I like the sound of played in/half dead strings - new strings are too brash sounding for me, esp with distortion. The bod and pickguard gets wiped every week or so, and I have a small brush to remove debris from the pickguard area under the strings. I'll only clean my hands before playing if I've been eating greasy fastfood.

I maintain, but not to the point of being OCD about it.

Archived