not wiping down your favorite guitar with a microfiber after each use is like...

murdock

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And be sure to wash your hands before you play. I always wipe down the strings with alcohol after playing. Rust never sleeps here in Thailand. And it's tons of fun trying to get all the sweat off the rest of the guitar after a gig. Windex works okay to cut through it all. But no microfibers for me.

• Members

using the restroom and not washing your hands!

amirite?

anybody here have guitars over 1k that they don't take care of?
:confused:

ALL my guitars are, and only if I have been sweating, or on a gig. No issues. Everytime is NOTHING like not washing your hands after going to the bathroom, unless you are playing with guitar with your dick, or sweaty balls. I do not, so no need. I keep my hands clean, and hence my guitar is fine. What an odd question, maybe a little OCD??

• Members

Personally, I learned at a very early age how to take a leak without pissing all over my own hands.

I'm just sayin....

That said, I do like to wash my hands before playing because after setting up my gear and the PA and running all the cables and {censored}, my hands are usually all full of dirt and grime and crap and I try to avoid getting all that stuff over my guitar. But after playing, I can't recall ever wiping down my stuff. If anything I wipe them down before I head out to a gig. Also sometimes put fast fret on the strings and back of the neck. But that's before the gig, hardly ever afterward. The only time I can remember wiping my stuff down after a gig is when we were playing outdoors at a marina and I wanted to get rid of all the salt water spray that would cause rust.

• Members

I'm into playing with clean hands. Often wash them before picking one up. Part of the reason I do that is to reduce the corrosive salt on my hands.

I only wipe the whole guitar down if I'm putting it away (out of rotation) for a while. I usually vacuum them with a soft bristle brush to get the nail and skin dust up from under the strings. (I'm a fanger packer)

But I wipe the strings down routinely with GFS Fast Fret because it really prolongs their life. But here's my new grief in that arena. I now have 2 guitars that have GFS Fast Fret stick dings in them. One my stepson did as I asked him to wipe down the strings on my 4 day old Gibson Studio. He was tossing the stick out of its container over the guitar and missed the catch fumbling the stick down onto the top of my guitar which was at floor level. One knock sound and I said, "please tell me you didn't just ding my brand new guitar did you?" Ah yeah, was the answer :(

More recently I fumbled one myself while the guitar was on my lap. It just slipped from my fingers and fell a few inches making a little ding in the poly of a Tele. Moral of the story, "{censored} happens" (even if you're in the act of trying to avoid the {censored}).

• Members

I wash my hands before playing usually, and when the strings are new, like for the first few days I wipe the strings down sometimes but Im not analCD about it.

I do this with my $300 squier and $1500 52RI-value has nothing to do with it.

I clean the maple board and frets and nut really good every 3 or 4th string change, and oil (boiled linseed) the rosewood board maybe twice a year.

• Members

I try not to handle the nitro guitars unless my hands are clean, but I don't see the point in obsessing over it. Nitro shrinks, yellows, checks and fades whether you handle it or not. The only poly guitar I own is is a Squier CV Tele and I just run that through the dishwasher every few weeks with the Glocks.

• Members

Sometimes I'll hit the strings with Fast Fret after I play but not too often these days. And I'll give them all a quick dusting any time I happen to have the duster out but other than that no, I don't wipe them down every time I play. But I do give them a thorough cleaning every time I change strings.

Archived