not wiping down your favorite guitar with a microfiber after each use is like...

murdock

• Members

Guitars are tools. You take care of them, they will take care of you. Wiping down and all that is not OCD. See "Monk" if ya want OCD. I do not understand why some seem to take perverse pride in crudding up their guitars. Reminds me of Liz 1st who I think said "I take a bath once a year, whether I need it or not".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Somewhat on this subject, I had some good luck at putting some life back in the current set of strings on both my Fender and Hamer. Both sets were pretty well gone, oxydation, sweat, metal fatigue. On Sunday I slacked the strings, and used a small cotton t-shirt remnant soaked in rubbing alcohol to rub up and down the strings really thoroughly. Fingernail scrape and wipe and plenty of rubbing alcohol. Then, I took another remnant with a little bit of household oil soaked into it and gave the strings a light wipe end to end. Tune back up, and sounded about halfway back to new! Sometimes you need to save money and time, ya know?

fna the next time my strings get old I'll go at them with some wd40 and a rag. I'll be gentle of course but this should work, right :idk:

• Members

Since most of my guitars are plastic coated I have no qualms using Windex to cut thru the sweat tide lines after a gig in the warm sun of Thailand. I don't get anal about maintaining them, but rusted up tuners, saddles, pickups are a pain in the ass and a hazard to health (kidding on that one. Just a bit).

• Members

I usually eat 6 to 8 pieces of KFC regular chicken before I play. I leave the grease on my fingers and it's simply the best string lube I've found. Every since I started doing this I always lay down the most tasty licks to any song I'm playing and every review that's been written about me has simply been finger licking good.

Archived